The Hunger Games Movie Series Thread

King Mark

• Replies 178
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 3 weeks later...

What did that trailer tell us that we hadn't seen before?

I really liked the last film, so I'll be very disappointed if this one isn't of a similar standard.

And on possible sequels... the lack of a book won't stop hollywood.

I thought the first was alright, the second was pretty good, then the third was kind of a step back. Just doesn't seem like they've set up a strong finish, but hopefully I'll be proven wrong.

• 3 weeks later...

Only the first one is good. The others are too conscious of the Jennifer Lawrence celebrity phenomenon, which gets even worse in the third one (which is a pretty weak movie in every department).

Alex

• 5 weeks later...

Only the first one is good. The others are too conscious of the Jennifer Lawrence celebrity phenomenon, which gets even worse in the third one (which is a pretty weak movie in every department).

Alex

Saw the trailer for the last one in the cinema.

Looked horrible!

• 3 years later...

TBH, all of the books on the franchise have some pretty silly names, that are also hard to translate. Mockingjay for example was released here as "A Esperança" (as in "The Hope") and in Portugal as "A Revolta" ("The Uprising").

18 minutes ago, Edmilson said:

Cover for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the prequel to the Hunger Games book series that will be released next year. Lionsgate already has plans to turn it to a movie:

hunger-games-prequel-cover-760x1164.jpg

Pfffffffffffffffffffff...

2 hours ago, Edmilson said:

Cover for The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes, the prequel to the Hunger Games book series that will be released next year. Lionsgate already has plans to turn it to a movie:

hunger-games-prequel-cover-760x1164.jpg

That sounds like a parody of the Hunger Games

On 11/2/2015 at 10:08 PM, Jay said:

Can't wait! 

On 10/5/2019 at 4:03 AM, Edmilson said:

TBH, all of the books on the franchise have some pretty silly names, that are also hard to translate. Mockingjay for example was released here as "A Esperança" (as in "The Hope") and in Portugal as "A Revolta" ("The Uprising").

Why didn't they just keep the English names? 

Well, here in Brazil most English-language stuff are translated. For example, most of the world, including countries who doesn't speak English, knows the Avengers, here they are the "Vingadores". Spider-Man is Spider-Man almost everywhere, here he is "Homem-Aranha". Superman was Super-Homem until pretty much this century. Star Wars was originally released here as Guerra nas Estrelas.

And don't even get me started on the Potter franchise, on which a lot of characters received much easier names for Portuguese speakers: Ron here is Rony, Remy is Remo, Albus is Alvo, Michael Corner is Miguel Corner, Oliver Wood is Olívio Wood, Severus is Severo, Ginny is Gina, and my favorite one, Dean Thomas is Dino Thomas (when I was a child, I wondered if their parents were fans of dinosaurs).

I guess that, on Hunger Games' case, the name Mockingjay was a metaphor for the newfound hope of the rebellion against the Capitol. So, the Portuguese translator decided to make this metaphor more obvious. Also, I'm not sure if many people would buy a book simply called "Tordo" (portuguese for Mockingjay).

• 3 months later...

We know Coriolanus Snow, from Suzanne Collins’ original Hunger Games trilogy and its film adaptations (where he was portrayed by Donald Sutherland), to be a villain — a manipulative tyrant, a brutal killer. Those were Katniss Everdeen’s novels, after all, and Snow’s dictatorial presidency stood as the main antagonist to her resistance-underdog story. But what if there was more to him than we knew? What if he could be — crazy as it may sound — a hero?

Last June, Scholastic announced that Collins had written a prequel set 64 years before the events of The Hunger Games, titled The Ballad of Songbirds and Snakes (out May 19). And now EW can offer eager fans a taste of what to expect with this first excerpt — and reveal Snow as our new protagonist, a teenager born to privilege but searching for something more, a far cry from the man we know he will become. Here, he’s friendly. He’s charming. And, for now anyway, he’s a hero.

https://ew.com/books/2020/01/21/hunger-games-prequel-exclusive-excerpt/

Another prequel centered on the villain? Yeesh... And Snow wasn't the most interesting character on the Hunger Games saga either.