Montezuma-Cortez: the next Spielberg project?

TownerFan

I'm not going to hold my breath for this. Spielberg should probably develop one project at a time and stick with it, it's not helping when he keeps flitting to another one when one doesn't go the way he wants.

If this gets to the filming stage, then we can talk. I expect Spielberg to jump ship at the end of the year, citing "script issues" or whatever to that effect.

I have read Bernal Diaz de Castillo narrative in "Conquest of New Spain" and it's one of the most astonishing things I have ever read (not the writing itself, but the content of the narrative). I would be absolutely over the moon if Spielberg and JW would tackle such an event

It's really interesting because what we see in the history is an imperialist empire suddenly facing a really small army of an imperialist empire from another continent somehow allying itself with those around it.

It has a lot of interesting anecdotes. For example, the locals would happily receive the "Virgin Mary" as another figure in their pantheon, much to the chagrin of the Cortés who wanted all the other deities destroyed.

Chaac - who would shoot this film in classical Nahuatl and classical Castilian just to annoy Alexcremers.

Not getting my hopes up.

Me neither, but of all the projects he's had lined up since he dropped Interstellar, this is easily the most intriguing. Even if he does go through with it, though, it sounds too big to get off the ground anytime soon.

Since Interstellar? He's been dropping projects for longer than that!

Remember 39 Clues? Gershwin biopic? Harvey? American Sniper? Moses? Robopocalypse? Halo? Pirate Lattitudes?

Chaac, as a Spaniard yourself, have you read Bernal Diaz del Castillo's narrative?

your enthusiams made me want to read it at once :)

I would love Spielberg-williams to do this.

Williams music for the cross of coronado was great.

And journey to akator ;)

Since Interstellar? He's been dropping projects for longer than that!

Remeber 39 Clues? Gershwin biopic? Harvey? American Sniper? Robopocalypse? Halo? Pirate Lattitudes?

I meant that Interstellar was his most recent project that I was really excited for. Everything that he's had lined up since then hasn't been as interesting as this one, to me.

Oh yea, Interstellar was the most interesting for sure, especially for the potential Williams score. I was also excited for the potential Williams Robopocalypse and Moses scores too

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/steve-zaillian-writing-producing-montezuma-668621

Spielberg is notorious for developing, some might even say overdeveloping, projects but not pulling the trigger. But Zaillian and Spielberg have a long history, and the two made Schindler's List into a Oscar-winning hit. It is, however, unclear what other projects Spielberg is developing in addition to Montezuma that might vie for his attention.

Let's hope this dies in developmental hell. I'm sure there is an audience for a film about this just like there is an audience for the Lorraine Gary story.

Why do you say that, Joey? It's one of the most fascinating events in human history, amd it has never been dramatized in a movie before

Facinating really. But like I said there is an audience for it. This is fodder for Nat Geo.

I only look at the potential of Williams score when Spielberg chooses a project. This could be interesting and sounds more epic than other historical dramas he's done

There's only one thing we know for sure about Spielberg's next movie, the theatrical release date will be 2 weeks after Star Wars Episode VII

• 4 years later...
1 hour ago, Not Mr. Big said:

Fuck. :(

Maybe Williams will still score?? 

I doubt it. The prospects just plummeted from "very likely" to "not a chance in hell"!

Any risk of Spielberg challenging himself with a movie again? Like, ever?

Talk about playing it safe. And next on his list is another Indiana Jones for crying out loud.

33 minutes ago, crumbs said:

Any risk of Spielberg challenging himself with a movie again? Like, ever?

Talk about playing it safe. And next on his list is another Indiana Jones for crying out loud.

I'd say him producing a good Indiana Jones movie nowadays seems to be quite challenging for him.