TWIN PEAKS

Romão

I think I tried COMMUNITY for 5-6 episodes, but I didn't really get it, so I jumped ship. I mostly tried it out because I'm a huge Chevy Chase fan. Maybe I'll try again later on. I had the same issues with ARRESTED DEVELOPMENT, which I saw from start to finish just last year. I managed to get through it all, but there was never this desire to immediately return to the "universe", which I have for the best shows.

That being said, I agree with the 'pilot' issue previously mentioned. I usually set a minimum of some 4-5 episodes before I pass. But I'm also a strong believer in first impressions. There has to be SOMETHING there that's worth pursuing.

My main usage for sit-coms is 'dinner company', but if it's a smart show -- like LOUIE or SILICON VALLEY or whatever -- I might watch it like I do serious shows.

Thankfully, we won't have this problem with TWIN PEAKS.

Wow, that was a rambling post, LOL! :D

1 hour ago, Disco Stu said:

It's a rare comedy that's amazing right from episode 1.  Community is a relatively recent show that I think fits the bill.  First 3 seasons are classic.

I thought its heyday lasted 3 episodes. Really funny at first, and then it absolutely nosedived after that. It was really strange. 

Community was a fine show I mostly enjoyed, but it was not consistently great.  It had a lot of weak patches.

Arrested Development truly was consistently great for its original 3 seasons (just pretend the season 4 from years later doesn't exist).

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Community was a fine show I mostly enjoyed, but it was not consistently great.  It had a lot of weak patches.

I found it pretty consistent, except for the gas leak season.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Arrested Development truly was consistently great for its original 3 seasons (just pretend the season 4 from years later doesn't exist).

I'd modify this to exclude the third season - a lot of it hit, but I didn't find the Wee Britain/Mr. F stuff very good.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

I'd modify this to exclude the third season - a lot of it hit, but I didn't find the Wee Britain/Mr. F stuff very good.

Are you serious?  That's my favorite storyline in the entire show!

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I'd say that about Curb apart from its last season.

I'm Alan Partridge doesn't suffer during its run though. Neither does The Office. They have the number two in common as a sweet spot. 

14 minutes ago, mstrox said:

All of my favorite stuff from the show falls in the first season, I'd say.

9 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

The season 2 opener is pure gold though. As is the resolution of the Laura Palmer story

mstrox was talking about Arrested Development, not Twin Peaks.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

The season 2 opener is pure gold though. As is the resolution of the Laura Palmer story

Honestly, I rate Season 2 of Twin Peaks much more highly than most people.  I love the stuff you mentioned, as well as the supernatural/Black Lodge plot that builds until the end of the season.  I liked Windom Earle and his game.  The bits I don't like are subplots featuring minor characters for the most part (all of the men falling for Lana Milford, Nadine going back to high school).  The season opener, the few episodes leading up to the killer's reveal and capture, and the finale are all amazing.

3 minutes ago, mstrox said:

The bits I don't like are subplots featuring minor characters for the most part (all of the men falling for Lana Milford, Nadine going back to high school).

And James... Oh, my, James...

James is easily the worst character of the show. But still, oddly, I love this scene:

It's jus so absolutely Twin Peaks, I can't put my finger on it. With all the cheese and corniness

27 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Honestly, I rate Season 2 of Twin Peaks much more highly than most people.  

I'm with you. I think I even like the show more, the further out it gets. The first season is gold, don't get me wrong, but I really like when it goes all crazy and absurd in the second season.

On ‎10‎/‎18‎/‎2016 at 2:53 PM, mstrox said:

Mark Frost's book came out today too

https://www.amazon.com/Secret-History-Twin-Peaks/dp/B01KFX635C/ref=sr_tnr_p_1_7538393011_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1476808634&sr=8-1&keywords=secret+history+of+twin+peaks

I bought the eBook and I read over maybe 5% of it on breaks today.  At this point it's only establishing minor Twin Peaks mythology points throughout history, but I'm excited to get into whatever the portion of it is that deals with the characters we know.

BTW, I finished reading this last month.  It's...not the best read.  Most of the book takes place from the 1800s through the 1970s and a lot of it focuses on UFO type phenomena and government cover-ups.  There are a few ethereal woods things that happen that are more mystical in nature, and those interested me.

The biggest characters in the book are characters that are minor in the show (i.e. Doug Milford, aka the Mayor's brother) or siblings/relatives of characters in the book.  You get a little background into some of the "major families" of Twin Peaks - the Packards, the Martells, the Milfords, the Jennings, the Hurleys, the Briggs, the Jacobys etc etc.   It might be more interesting POST-season-3 just to see why the seemingly non-Twin-Peaksy things are relevant.

The narrator of the book is most certainly a new series character - "Agent T.P." throughout the book, who signs off at the end as

Spoiler

"Agent Tamara Preston"

The best part of the book were the last, like, two pages, which take place shortly after the end of S2 and which got me excited for S3.

Book spoilers ahead:

Spoiler

The book is written as an FBI agent;s dissection of a discovered tome, assigned by Gordon Cole.  The strange tome is written by a series of "archivists" throughout history - Doug Milford being the major one through the 20th century, transferred duty to Major Briggs late in the book.

The last two pages involve Briggs returning from his abduction (towards the end of S2) and looking for Cooper, seeing Cooper and realizing that something is seriously amiss, "protocols are in place. I must act quickly. Mayday."

And then the reviewing agent saying that further records about both Briggs and Cooper are above her security clearance.  The end, basically.

I also noticed a continuity error involving Norma's parentage (we met her mother in season 2, yet the book notes that Norma's mom died in the 1980s).

Frost has dropped hints that there will be a second part following Season 3, so we'll see how much juicy stuff there is.

It's written by Mark Frost, who cowrote the whole S3 before the book was written, so I'm tempted to think there's a plan in place for much of the information.  It certainly was not the book I wanted/hoped for.

Oh, and

Spoiler

Sherriff Truman has a brother who used to be a Bookhouse Boy, Franklin Truman - may actually be the character that Robert Forster is playing, not a recasting of Harry Truman.

15 hours ago, mstrox said:

I also noticed a continuity error involving Norma's parentage (we met her mother in season 2, yet the book notes that Norma's mom died in the 1980s).

It was not a continuity error.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

It was not a continuity error.

DUN DUN DUUUUUUUUUUUNNNNNNN!!!

That's something that crossed my mind, but it seems like a really minor thing to make twisty:  "remember that food critic that visited Twin Peaks during season 2 that happened to be Norma's mom?  SWERVE!"

21 hours ago, Thor said:

I'm with you. I think I even like the show more, the further out it gets. The first season is gold, don't get me wrong, but I really like when it goes all crazy and absurd in the second season.

It's definitely more crazy but at one point during the season the direction is really getting inferior. There's a dip in the middle and then it gets better again.

15 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

A 2 hour ep is just what's needed to slowly sink back into that world.

Every season starts with a 2 hour episode!

I still can't quite grasp that 2017 is bringing us new Star Wars music by JW and new Twin Peaks music by Bandalamenti, my two favorite musical universes

On 10/01/2017 at 4:37 PM, Romão said:

I still can't quite grasp that 2017 is bringing us new Star Wars music by JW and new Twin Peaks music by Bandalamenti, my two favorite musical universes

Now, just a damn minute!

Its not possible to have multiple universes.

Is it? :blink: