TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Apparently there is a third EW cover as well.  I'll be interested to see if there's actually anything concrete about the series in there - mum has been the word from everybody, and even the advertising has been based on old footage. Recent articles have been more about the process than about the actual product.

http://www.gq.com/story/david-lynch-twin-peaks-profile

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

Sherilyn Fenn famously didn't age as well as we thought she would, but I remember seeing her in an episode of something called Dual Spires a couple of years ago and she looked great. 

vlcsnap_2012_09_25_00h57m52s104_zps68dfe

Ha!  We watched that episode too!  It's the only episode of Psych I've ever seen (and nothing about this episode made we want to watch more of the series) BUT, this one episode is TOTALLY worth checking out for Twin Peaks fans!  It not only features Sherilyn Fenn (Audrey Horne) but also Sheryl Lee ( Laura Palmer), Dana Ashbrook (Bobby Briggs), Robyn Lively (Lana Milford), Lenny Von Dohlen (Harold Smith), Catherine E. Coulson (Log Lady), and Ray Wise (Leland Palmer).  

Apparently Psych continues its Twin Peaks references throughout the rest of the series, too.  I DVRed that episode, but never got around to watching it.

The third EW cover is Big Ed, Nadine, and James Hurley - just saw it on Twitter. 

EDIT - OR YOU CAN LOOK AT THE POST ABOVE

I think James Marshall has had a really rough go of it after Twin Peaks - something about a botched bowel surgery or something, and a lot of after-effects?

Probably has nothing to do with his hair, just something anecdotal.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Ha!  We watched that episode too!  It's the only episode of Psych I've ever seen (and nothing about this episode made we want to watch more of the series) BUT, this one episode is TOTALLY worth checking out for Twin Peaks fans! 

That episode isn't the best representation of the series since it's focused more on being a Twin Peaks homage.  You should give the series a shot and start from the beginning.

59 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Apparently Psych continues its Twin Peaks references throughout the rest of the series, too.

James Roday, the series' star, is a gigantic fan of Twin Peaks.  There are references to the series here and there.  Ray Wise is in a few episodes.

4 minutes ago, nightscape94 said:

You should give the series a shot and start from the beginning.

Nah, I shouldn't.  Marcy watched the entire show so its been in my periphery since she moved in.  It's not for me.

4 minutes ago, Jay said:

Nah, I shouldn't.  Marcy watched the entire show so its been in my periphery since she moved in.  It's not for me.

Okay.  The comedy is unusual and very targeted to a specific audience.  There's really no way to watch it if you don't like that style of humor.

I'd rather watch a comedy that makes me laugh hard, than a drama with comedic elements, when I'm in the mood for a laugh.  And for a drama, I prefer a continuing story over a case-of-the-week show.

Great question!  Season 1 was a drama with comedic elements.  Season 2 was a comedy with dramatic elements.  The new series will be a traditional multi-camera sitcom.

As we will find out, Twin Peaks as we know it is actually the Black Lodge, and the real world is a zig-zag room with red curtains.

Half hour shows are comedies, some of those have dramatic elements (Scrubs, Weeds, Santa Clarita Diet, Californication)

Hour-long shows are dramas, some of those have comedic elements (Orange Is The New Black, Psych, Shameless)

Just now, Jay said:

Half hour shows are comedies, some of those have dramatic elements (Scrubs, Weeds, Santa Clarita Diet)

Hour-long shows are dramas, some of those have comedic elements (Orange Is The New Black, Psych)

But David Lynch man!

1 minute ago, nightscape94 said:

And to me, the comedy is really there to further heighten the drama.  It makes the more frightening and tense moments even more effective.

Yes!  Twin Peaks used both elements brilliantly!

14 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

But is Twin Peaks a drama with comedic elements or a comedy with dramatic elements? Or both?

And what is the Black Lodge exactly?

Instead of asking others pointless questions every other post, why not try formulating your own conclusions for a change? It's a shtick which has grown extremely tired in my humble opinion

Humble?

I would say it's 50% drama and 50% comedy. And both of them done in that weird Lynchian way that you can't always see where the separation is.

Useless answer I know, but does that satisfy your curiosity? I just found Jason's categorisation based on the running time to be too rigid.

IT'S BEGINNING

EW brief intro article

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/23/twin-peaks-revival-showtime-cover/

40 minute fluffy reunion video/interview - with the actors from the EW covers

http://people.com/pen/00000158-44d0-d1a1-a758-4cd852110000/0000015a-f830-d8c1-ad7a-fb3375580000/

Availability on the day?

Ok, speculation time:

Considering how the second season ended. Especially with regards to Dale Cooper, will the new season actually follow that thread in someway or will it more or less reboot and forget where those storylines that ended in a cliffhanger went. Just returning to the premise of this weird town, a supernatural vibe and a bunch of characters, one of them being a goofy but highly competent FBI agent.

Did the movie resolve or deal with any of the Dale Cooper stuff?

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Considering how the second season ended. Especially with regards to Dale Cooper, will the new season actually follow that thread in someway or will it more or less reboot and forget where those storylines that ended in a cliffhanger went. Just returning to the premise of this weird town, a supernatural vibe and a bunch of characters, one of them being a goofy but highly competent FBI agent.

Showtime's president indicates that the cliffhanger will be dealt with/is still being dealt with in this series.

http://ew.com/tv/2017/03/23/twin-peaks-revival-showtime-cover/

Twin Peaks is a cosmology,” says Showtime’s president and CEO David Nevins. “What I think is satisfying about the new version is that it’s a deeper exploration of that stuff. What is the Red Room? How does the Red Room work? Where is Agent Cooper? Can he make it back?”

12 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Did the movie resolve or deal with any of the Dale Cooper stuff?

Nope - the script (and apparently the recently released "missing pieces" deleted scenes) DEAL with it briefly, but do not resolve anything.  Nothing in the final film.

3 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

I may be remembering wrong, but didn't Annie appear to Laura in Fire Walk Me to tell her Cooper was lost in the Black Lodge or something like that?

Yes - in Laura's dream, she sees Annie in her bed.  So I guess a passing reference.

In the deleted scenes, there is apparently some follow-up to Cooper's ultimate bathroom scene, and some scenes in the hospital with Annie - both taking place after the series.

Is that entertainment weekly video material spoiler free in regards to the original series? 

1 hour ago, Once said:

Also looks fine on my phone.

I just finished rewatching the series last night. I'm beyond ready for more.

First time? 

10 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Is that entertainment weekly video material spoiler free in regards to the original series? 

Nope!

9 on-set images!  Including Denise and Albert!

http://ew.com/tv/twin-peaks-exclusive-first-look-photos/the-owls-may-not-be-what-they-seem/