TWIN PEAKS

Romão

3 hours ago, Richard said:

He could , but I don't think he would be as effective as the original Killer Bob, who is still the most shit-inducingly terrifying creation for TV, ever.

Anyway, as I recall, the spirit of Bob went into Dale Cooper.

Yeah, that's what I said. So they have to deal with that; i.e. get Bob out of him somehow. Interesting theory that the 'spirit of Leland' could be the "replacement Bob", if Wise is returning to the show (he can't be in a flashback due to advanced age).

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Wise is back? Awesome!

Wise never went away ;)

3 hours ago, Quintus said:

And time is fast running out to watch those select catchup episodes! 

I'm sure that they'll be on the Blu extras.

59 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yeah, that's what I said. So they have to deal with that; i.e. get Bob out of him somehow. Interesting theory that the 'spirit of Leland' could be the "replacement Bob", if Wise is returning to the show (he can't be in a flashback due to advanced age).

It's 25-ish years later. What the heck has been going on, for Cooper?

"can't be in a flashback"?

What about de-ageing? In all honesty, though, I hope that Lynch/Frost have more integrity, than that.

Apologies if this teaser was already posted:

If anyone is avoiding all footage from the new season, this one is safe to watch, because it doesn't contain any.

But it is interesting to see which other shows they chose to reference with the words here.  What do you guys think?

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Apologies if this teaser was already posted:

If anyone is avoiding all footage from the new season, this one is safe to watch, because it doesn't contain any.

But it is interesting to see which other shows they chose to reference with the words here.  What do you guys think?

Fuck! My pulse has just gone from 65, to 128!

I...CAN'T... FUCKING...WAIT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks.

They should have included a line about SOPRANOS too. Although OZ is generally considered the show that launched the "HBO credentials", SOPRANOS often gets the prize instead. But TWIN PEAKS came before all of that.

1 minute ago, Thor said:

They should have included a line about SOPRANOS too. Although OZ is generally considered the show that launched the "HBO credentials", SOPRANOS often gets the prize instead. But TWIN PEAKS came before all of that.

This post is entirely right. 

2 hours ago, Thor said:

they have to deal with that; i.e. get Bob out of him somehow. Interesting theory that the 'spirit of Leland' could be the "replacement Bob"

Well, assuming they're eventually going to free good Coop from the Black Lodge, that would still leave the spectre of Bob to deal with, so I'm expecting some sort of final battle between him and Cooper/The Bookhouse Boys. So Ray Wise would be perfect in that demonic role. 

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

As much as Twin Peaks is the granddaddy of the modern quality show, it somehow wasn't the start of the renaissance or the golden age of modern television. Well, not in my book anyway.

9 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

As much as Twin Peaks is the granddaddy of the modern quality show, it somehow wasn't the start of the renaissance or the golden age of modern television. Well, not in my book anyway.

So which series would you pick then?

There were plenty of great shows before TWIN PEAKS, but most of them were rather formulaic in one form or another. The groundbreaking, "post-modern" aspect with TWIN PEAKS was that it played with TV formulas and conventions.

I just know there was a long pause between Twin Peaks and renaissance shows like The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Deadwood (et cereta).

(or maybe the pause is only in my head)

I can't put a show like X-files in the same league as the ones I mentioned above. X-Files was still TV, if you know what I mean.

1 hour ago, Alexcremers said:

I just know there was a long pause between Twin Peaks and renaissance shows like The Wire, Six Feet Under, The Sopranos, Deadwood (et cereta).

(or maybe the pause is only in my head)

Bit of a gap, yes, between TWIN PEAKS and OZ (which premiered in 97). Some good shows inbetween, but nothing on the same groundbreaking level. X-FILES was great, but it wasn't really groundbreaking in the same sense.

Someone shared this to a Twin Peaks Facebook group and as many laughed as went mental over it:

cl7os9m.jpg

Cute. I say good on them for spreading awareness with millennials! 

Just watched The Missing Pieces on the Blu-ray yesterday.  As the only bit of Twin Peaks I'm going to have time to watch before the premiere, it did its job of whetting my appetite.

I was struck that a lot of the missing pieces were GOOD, in a way that deleted scenes typically aren't.  Especially the stuff from the second half of the movie.  I certainly can see why these things were cut (they felt much more like the show, and much less like the final film - and especially some of them just seemed to be more traditionally prequel-y, setting up things that will happen later in the television show), but there was some really decent stuff in there.  Some nice work from Doc Hayward in the Donna/Laura muffin scene.  Some good stuff from Norma/Ed/Shelly.  A few pieces of Laura/Donna stuff that I think would have helped clarify that relationship in the film as a whole.

Yes.

Also known as the bonus featurette Alex Cremers watched instead of the actual movie, and didn't realize it wasn't the actual movie until after posting here about it and we informed him that he still hadn't seen the movie yet, but only watched a bonus feature.

Yeah, it's entirely deleted scenes from FWWM, completely restored, edited by Lynch, fitted with appropriate Badalamenti score, and edited into an ~90 minute film. 

Here is the list of deleted scenes, with some description:  http://nerdist.com/review-twin-peaks-the-missing-pieces/

The stuff with Chet Desmond and Sam investigating the first murder doesn't really add much.

There is a fun scene with Cooper talking to Diane (offscreen).

There is a little more with David Bowie.

There is a good "happy family" Palmer dinner scene that I think might have offset the later horror (including the fingernails dinner scene later) pretty well.

There are also a few things that happen immediately after the series finale, which were cut from the movie entirely.

Spoiler

Annie getting wheeled into the hospital.

Cooper in the Black Lodge with the little man, asking where he is and how he can leave.  also inquiring about the location of the green ring

Annie, catatonic in a hospital bed - a nurse steals the green ring from Annie's finger

"Cooper" in the Great Northern, smashing his head in the mirror.  He lays on the floor.  A little extra dialogue with Truman and Doc Hayward as they help him back to bed.

Fin.

19 minutes ago, Jay said:

Yes.

Also known as the bonus featurette Alex Cremers watched instead of the actual movie, and didn't realize it wasn't the actual movie until after posting here about it and we informed him that he still hadn't seen the movie yet, but only watched a bonus feature.

:lol:

Richard Beymer is 79. But given what I know about the Ben Horne character, I can totally buy that he'd still be pretty hands on and scheming even when his contemporaries might have all retired. 

Jackoby has hardly changed. 

Good to see that Ben Horne recovered from Dr. Hayward smashing his head against the mantle (which was the last time we saw him). Not even a scar! 

All this time, I thought Drax was a Twin Peaks fan. I guess it's just that obscure and cultish that it went under his radar. It's exactly the type of show he'd love. Basically a corny soap opera with supernatural elements and bad acting.

Terrible acting? I can't see it. Although I do agree that Bobby's alleged sincere reactions -- like when his dad tells him about his dream -- feel weirdly forced now and then. James is very well acted for the type of character he is.

2 minutes ago, Thor said:

Terrible acting? I can't see it.

Lol trust you! Those two, James in particular, are frequently terrible. But that's exactly why they're so perfect.

Out of the younger cast, Shelly and Audrey are the most natural.

Just to add something meaningful to the conversation, I thought my favorite Twin Peaks babe still looks good!

C_qwngBUwAIyTNI.jpg

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Lol trust you! Those two, James in particular, are frequently terrible. But that's exactly why they're so perfect.

I disagree. The scene with James and Donna out in the woods, for example, is one of the most heartfelt and best-acted scenes in the whole series (no doubt aided by the freezing cold, as explained in the 'making of').

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

It's wretched actually!

Well, most of the cast members disagree. As do I. A definite highlight!

I think the acting is consistent with and/or better than other television at the time.  For the most part, these were television actors and not film actors (in a time where there really was a clear delineation).  It seems like a goal of Lynch and the series to emphasize emotion and to some extent camp.  There isn't much that doesn't sit well with me. 

The soap/kitch elements are of course very much intended, the most obvious sign being the fictional soap "Invitation to Love" which consistently runs on the televisions set (at least in Lynch's episodes).

14 minutes ago, mstrox said:

For the most part, these were television actors and not film actors 

How denigrating towards TV!