TWIN PEAKS

Romão

I haven't read the million replies since the series premiered, but I just caught up on it after having spent some days in Cannes. I really like it, although I do have some qualms. Badalamenti, for example, is sorely missed throughout most of the first 4 episodes

Nah, I agree with Thor that some of the scenes set in Twin Peaks itself are so far sorely lacking Badalamenti's music, although I've mentioned that this is likely quite deliberate and for later effect. 

It's kind of jarring how little of this is scored.  There's the occasional droning dread, but many, many scenes that are just musically silent.  The Ben/Jerry and Andy/Lucy stuff especially, just kind of falls flat for me without anything under it.  And the Lodge stuff, where previously there was "always music in the error," now dead silent.  The "main plot," as it is (Cooper/Mr. C) is scored and left unscored perfectly, in my opinion.

My hope is that Badalamenti will creep in more and more as we progress. 

Andy and Lucy's scenes, which are essentially exactly the same as they were 25 years ago, do fall completely flat, without the daft music. I don't think that's intended. 

5 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Nah, I agree with Thor that some of the scenes set in Twin Peaks itself are so far sorely lacking Badalamenti's music, although I've mentioned that this is likely quite deliberate and for later effect. 

I for one am glad they havent gone back to tracking in the same couple of cues over and over again like they did on the old show. That grew tiresome.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I hope so too. So far, 90% has been Lynch's own 'dark drones'. I'm hoping we'll get to hear more Badalamenti eventually, also newly composed stuff (not sure if there is any new Badalamenti in the 4 episodes at all?). I absolutely LOVE the songs that end the show, though. The bands nail the TP sound perfectly.

I feel that large stretches of the episodes lack a bit of 'energy', and a lot of that energy came from Badalamenti's score in the original where the themes intertwined and pulsated both in and out of scenes. But yeah -- I realize this is a very different take on the whole universe.

4 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I for one am glad they havent gone back to tracking in the same couple of cues over and over again like they did on the old show. That grew tiresome.

I know what you mean and it's a reasonable thing to say, but so far we've gone from one extreme to another. 

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

I absolutely LOVE the songs that end the show, though. The bands nail the TP sound perfectly.

I'm not so sure about these. It's a bit teenagery trendy to me. 

I'm not so sure about these. It's a bit teenagery trendy to me. 

I don't get that at all. The Chromatics stuff, in particular (who are certainly not "teenage trendy"), is spot-on. I also loved Chromatics head shot Johnny Jewel's score for LOST RIVER, which was very much a Lynch-inspired affair. And what about that old 50s song that ended episode 3, I think?

Never heard the Chromatics, but I did really love that song.  Thought Pt 3/4 songs were pretty good.  Felt Peaksy enough.  The episodes all just kind of stop (which makes sense since Lynch intends this to be an 18-hour single piece, as opposed to episodes), and having musical interludes makes sense for some end credits.

I wonder if he's saving Julee Cruise for a special moment.

29 minutes ago, Thor said:

I haven't read the million replies since the series premiered,

Well, you only have to go back to page 29 to read JWFanners thoughts on the four episodes.

The first time it ended in the bar with the song it was a cool moment, and it fit the Twin Peaks universe perfectly. But I don't like the idea of every episode ending in this way at all. 

Well, you only have to go back to page 29 to read JWFanners thoughts on the four episodes.

Cheers, thanks.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

The Ben/Jerry and Andy/Lucy stuff especially, just kind of falls flat for me without anything under it.  And the Lodge stuff, where previously there was "always music in the error," now dead silent.  The "main plot," as it is (Cooper/Mr. C) is scored and left unscored perfectly, in my opinion.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

Andy and Lucy's scenes, which are essentially exactly the same as they were 25 years ago, do fall completely flat, without the daft music. I don't think that's intended. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

I feel that large stretches of the episodes lack a bit of 'energy', and a lot of that energy came from Badalamenti's score in the original where the themes intertwined and pulsated both in and out of scenes. But yeah -- I realize this is a very different take on the whole universe.

This.

In many ways, I feel you really need to watch the previous 30 episodes in order to truly enjoy this, but it goes well beyond of just following the plot. Like the previous series was a continuous aesthetic re-education, step by step, that is now allowing me to be enjoying these new episodes as much as I am.

And it's like mstrox said: at this point, I find it hard to watch anything else. I just don't want to leave this world. Everything else seems indeed to be so mundane. I could even watch Cooper scoring jackpots and screaming Hellooo for another 3 hours or so

THAT's what I'm talking about! Excellent work, Mr. Bellamy. Gives a whole other level TWIN PEAKS-ness to the scenes. The time gap between the dialogue in the first scene cries out for some music, especially because it's "quirk". The second scene also works better, even if I wouldn't have used "Audrey's Dance" myself. Applying music in scenes like this is not really about 'conventionalizing' it, but adding necessary energy.

While the more suspenseful scenes work with Lynch's own sound design (the dark drones), I also think Badalamenti's darker music could have worked. If I'm not mistaken, they DO use some of it as Hawk searches the woods for the Black Lodge. I also love the song he used as we're introduced to Evil Cooper in the night driving scene (forget who did this); works much like Rammstein in LOST HIGHWAY.

The latest on viewing figures for Twin Peaks: http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/live-feed/tv-ratings-a-modest-start-twin-peaks-return-skews-streaming-1008141

In regards to music; I actually thought the Wally Brando scene worked oddly very well without any. 

Haha I sort of agree in a way. It was really just the only other comic scene I could find to take from YouTube.

Btw found the full bunny scene and thought "Freshly Squeezed" was fun covering the rest too so here.

50 minutes ago, mrbellamy said:

I think Andy's line marks a tonal shift but I really just went with it because it's where everything else lined up. ;) 

Yeah, we're all amateur music editors here! :)

I think the music entering at Lucy's "bunny" comment would be appropriate to deflate the situation, i.e. stressing the fact that she has not made some remarkable discovery of what's missing.

I haven't actually watched new episodes yet. Seen about the first 20 minutes of the pilot. Had such a massive headache (a somewhat Lynchian one at that!) that had to switch it off. Will get back to that once I have bit more time.

Karol

Oh the headache wasn't caused by watching it. I just wasn't feeling very well that night.

You need to be mentally prepared for David Lynch. Otherwise, it will kill you.

Karol

We still haven't started this, and with House of Cards returning today and OITNB returning next week, its unlikely we'll start before the July 4th break.  Oh well