TWIN PEAKS

Romão

On 2017-6-13 at 9:22 PM, Stefancos said:

Very good ep and certainly an improvement over last week's. I might be in a minority here, but I find the "Dougie" parts of the show consistently the most involving. Kyle MacLachlan somehow makes this gormless idiot incredibly moving.

I find them mesmerising and still enjoy them, but I'd be happy if they don't go on for too much longer.

Weird thing: I didn't recognise Laura Dern as Diane. Even though a few moments later I remembered that there had been speculations that that would be her character. Perhaps I was just too distracted by the wig.

PART 7!

All roads lead to Twin Peaks, and all roads lead to Cooper!  We must have spent 3/4 of the episode in Twin Peaks today.  And we get movement!  Hawk and Truman read Laura's diary entries about Cooper, and Ben Horne receives Cooper's key. 

I like the Ben Horne dynamic with Ashley Judd.  Honestly, just glad to have Ben Horne back in a bigger capacity.  And was that Josie creaking through the walls of the Great Northern?

Wonder who Ernie Hudson placed a call to after the military officer confirmed that the body was a same-age-as-S2 Briggs?  And interesting to see that dark figure from part 1 return in South Dakota, creeping blurrily around the morgue.

Glad they didn't dally anymore with the Dougie and Diane storylines (well, Dougie is still Dougie, but the next story beats happened quickly in this episode - the hit on Dougie and the confrontation between Diane and Mr. C).

GREAT ep, better than the last two IMO. Plot took several steps forward, and glad to see more of Twin Peaks itself.

At first I was a little taken aback by what a bitch Diane is :lol: did not really expect that from the character but that scene with her and Mr. C is pretty much what I wanted out of it. You get just enough info and her scene with Gordon was very moving, actually got a lot of nice insight into Diane with just those few scenes. Hope that's not the last we see of her.

Saw somebody on Reddit point this out, after that guy at the end runs in the diner looking for "Bing", the whole diner suddenly changes. Can't believe I didn't notice!

eBY26MX.png

hXrbwND.png

Yeah, this was by far the most straightforward episode, plot-wise, although Lynch still manages to sneak in some of his oddball trademarks, like the whistling introduction of Cole and the prolonged floor-sweeping sequence towards the end. I think Mark Frost had the 'writing reigns' on this one. I must say that that for as much as I love David Lynch, one of the great things about the original two seasons was that Lynch's esotericism could co-exist with more straightforward, at times even soapy narratives (usually directed by others). That's where I could really "soak up" the TWIN PEAKS surroundings that inspired me to write a novel, and this episode had some of that again.

Great to see Warren Frost as Doc Hayward, and hopefully his daughter will reappear soon too. I wonder if that's all the footage there is before he passed. I doubt there's any more of the Log Lady than what we've seen, for example. Albert seems to have many more scenes to come.

He mentions the bank explosion in his Skype conversation with sheriff Truman, confirming once again that Audrey Horne survived. I hope we'll see her soon.

Alas, we're still stuck with Zombie Cooper. I thought maybe the Jason Bourne-like 'instinct karate moves' would trigger old Dale -- especially with the aid of The Man From Another Place, but seems like we have to wait some time still.

Some wonderful shots in this one. The panning shot inside the Great Northern (good guess that the humming is the ghost of Josie!), the monochrome prison corridor suddenly illuminated by blue light, the slow camera movement towards the door of that white house (very MULHOLLAND DRIVE/WILD AT HEART!).

I loved the way that some dark Badalamenti synths crept over the twangy music in the diner during the end credits.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

The best scene in season 3 so far:

giphy.gif

Probably very satisfying for the OCD crowd.

I actually looked at the clock about a minute in to see if Lynch could reasonably run out the rest of the episode on sweeping.

He, he....lots of narrative lines in the show that have been introduced, but then never explored again (thus far). I just hope he doesn't go all Lindelof on us, and manages to tie everything together -- if in a Lynchian way.

I feel the sporadic structure of this hasn't worked in favour of the viewing experience overall. All these different characters, some incidental, some not (it's impossible to know), there's been a sprawling cast of dozens introduced at what literally feels like random intervals; and on a week by week viewing model it has in my view been harmful to the "sofa experience". If there's ever a show that could have benefited from "binge watching" it's Twin Peaks series 3. An 18 hour film indeed - if you watch it all at once. That poor bugger from the Scream movie above, what the heck has happened to him and many others, with their own initiated subplots? "On hold indefinitely". 

I strongly suspect that those lucky people who watch all this much later on, after it has completed and at their leisure, will have an infinitely better and more cohesive viewing experience.

Exactly my sentiment, and I mentioned the same thing earlier in this thread. This format is not suited for the weekly episodic structure. I'm sure the layers will more easily reveal itself when binged.

On 6/20/2017 at 7:14 AM, Quintus said:

The best scene in season 3 so far:

giphy.gif

Loved this scene.

4 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

By the way, didn't Evil Coop want to get something in this prison? Seems like he leaft without getting that thing/information (unless it wasn't shown/wasn't made obvious to the audience what it was).

He wanted Ray from the prison. He wanted something else otherwise.

With the various intricacies of the plot being so spread out over weeks anyone would be forgiven for forgetting that Bad Coop originally wanted to get into the prison, for some reason, which is exactly what I did. 

This latest episode was definitely a better one though. There was some recognisable momentum there, which is what I need, on occasion. 

I haven't rewatched any episodes, but if I recall, we don't know what he wants.  It has something to do with a weird Ace of Spades that he showed to that one character before he snuffed her out in a hotel room.

Having just seen Episode 8... let me be the first to say...

WHAT THE F**K WAS ALL OF THAT?!

Haha! Don't get me wrong, it was visually nuts at times and so Lynchian that if you admire his other work you can't help but smile. But... it went into all sorts of seemingly random (though likely connected) directions at the same time and... and... what the hell?!

And yet, I really dug it. ;)

I also feel like Lynch was channeling 2001 A Space Odyssey with his music and visual choices at one point. That was one of the best parts!

On 2017-6-22 at 8:04 AM, Quintus said:

With the various intricacies of the plot being so spread out over weeks anyone would be forgiven for forgetting that Bad Coop originally wanted to get into the prison, for some reason, which is exactly what I did. 

This latest episode was definitely a better one though. There was some recognisable momentum there, which is what I need, on occasion. 

THIS!

It's Lynch so there's always gonna be unexplained weird shit. But I do like to know that it's actually going somewhere. Evfen if it is slow. (Lynch seems to be testing the limits of slow burn here).

Ep 7 was good. At times quite creepy and eerie and with some better shots than the previous few. (I was starting to notice everything was shot and lit like it's a bright sunny day in Southern California.)

One problem with all the stuff from 25 years ago that the good folk and Twin Peaks are starting to find out about is that so far they havent discovered anything that a viewing who watched the show and casually read about it already knows. And this is ep 7? We know about evil Coop. It';s taking the characters in the show a hell of a long time to catch up. 

Another thing about having all of the original characters back is that sometimes I feel like I'm watching a bunch of doddery old people lurch back into a limelight not seen since their younger years, ailments an all. It's ever so slightly sad and undignified. But maybe that's just me being ageist, and in a way I didn't realise I was capable of until Twin Peaks 3.

You mentioned Ian Holm looking old and past it in the first Hobbit. (Not that you were wrong)

I kinda noticed that. I think it's a combination of these actors being older, and Lynch's very slow direction style. I mean the way he lets people recite dialogue is hardly exciting.

21 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You mentioned Ian Holm looking old and past it in the first Hobbit. (Not that you were wrong)

I kinda noticed that. I think it's a combination of these actors being older, and Lynch's very slow direction style. I mean the way he lets people recite dialogue is hardly exciting.

Very true, although plenty would disagree. Just because it's Lynch.

Just saw episode 8. Wow, what a RAD episode!

I absolutely adored it. Lynch totally unhinged in an episode that equals INLAND EMPIRE in its art installation-like staging. This is what I love about TWIN PEAKS. Last week's episode was more straightforward, and then something like this out of left field again. Except for the prologue and some of the 50s scenes, this was ALL audiovisual symbolism; extremely hypnotizing and with layers of meaning that will take me ages to decipher.

The 'creation' scene reminded me of Malick's creation scene in TREE OF LIFE, only with Penderecki's music rather than Preisner's. One Polish composer exchanged for the other. Absolutely gorgeous, with some framings that were so beautiful, I could hang them on my wall.

This is doubly rewarding for me -- one is trying to make sense of it all, another is simply experiencing it on a visceral level.

I'm guessing next week's episode will take things back to "normal" again (to the extent normalcy exists in Lynch universe), so we have this constant ebb and flow between the earthbound and the lofty, the situations vs. the mythological.

There is no episode next week, Thor.

Ya'll gotta wait 14 days until the next episode.  Muwahahahahahahahahahahah

We'll finally be starting the new season tonight!

54 minutes ago, Thor said:

I absolutely adored it. Lynch totally unhinged in an episode that equals INLAND EMPIRE in its art installation-like staging. This is what I love about TWIN PEAKS. Last week's episode was more straightforward, and then something like this out of left field again. Except for the prologue and some of the 50s scenes, this was ALL audiovisual symbolism; extremely hypnotizing and with layers of meaning that will take me ages to decipher.

You don't think visually it's a little bit flat lately. Shot quickly, by a single director. Which is quite unusual for TV.

59 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You don't think visually it's a little bit flat lately. Shot quickly, by a single director. Which is quite unusual for TV.

Nothing flat about it. It might very well have some of the most wildly ambitious imagery on any TV show. I love that fact that it's shot by a single director (big fan of the auteur theory, as you know), although -- as I've mentioned previously -- I do sometimes miss the occasional, more straightforward episodes of the first two seasons, directed by people who didn't have the same kind of visionary qualities, but that explored the storylines and places more 'immediately', if you will. Last week's episode had some of that, and I think it's about as close as we can get under Lynch's own direction.

Ep 8

Visually arresting! I have absolutely no idea what any of it means, but I feel fully reinvested! Lynch is unable to sustain this level of brilliance throughout, but if we get this every once in a while, I guess that will have to do.

Parts of it were obviously inspired by Kubrick. 

The painfully long Nine Inch Nails track/scene was fucking HORRIBLE, and the black and white shots of the convenience store with the flickering men was just as obnoxious (the sound design is something I'm struggling with more than I expected to be with this thing), but the rest of it I was fully engaged with. The unbridled visual exposition episode, David Lynch style. Showtime must be shitting bricks over this! Lots of interesting ideas here though (not all of them satisfying), and plenty to think about for the next few days. 

My wife was fuming with it. 

I thought this one was over indulgent. Some stuff really stuck with me, specially the slow dance of the sitting lady with the music playing. But some of the stuff I do wonder if it needed to drag as long as it did. I did adore the scene in the car with Mr. C

A lot of the imagery was monotonous and pointless, the "TV static" stuff, for eg. Taking up what felt like many dozens of seconds, it seemed designed to antagonise and perplex.

You don't know the context of what I'm talking about so it's not worth elaborating on what I mean exactly. It was an episode which stirred lengthy debate in our living room afterwards, so that means there's plenty of merit in its runtime, which isn't always a sure thing with Twin Peaks. But then, this is not a Twin Peaks you would recognise. 

Essentially, this episode was undiluted art house cinema. With Twin Peaks in the title. As stated above, it was certainly a huge indulgence on Lynch's part. Quite knowingly so (there's no escaping it). Televisionland certainly won't know what the heck to make of it, because it's possibly a bit of a first.

I suppose that sounds great doesn't it? Well, parts of it are. 

I've only seen the first 20-30 minutes of the first episode so far. Will probably watch it all once it's done. Something tells me it's not terribly rewarding in one-episode-a-week type of format.

Karol

Wow. Well that was something!

In the Golden Age of TV, there have been instances that have flirted with the ambitious or sometimes alienating stylings of arthouse cinema, but I think this might be the first time that more avant-garde road is embraced with full earnestness. Is it indulgent on Lynch's part? Sure. But boy does it make it a fascinating hour of television. I'll take this shit over amnesia-Coop stumbling around on screen for an hour. I was having my doubts as the new series was starting to test my patience, but this one made me glad that Twin Peaks, in whatever form, is still in Lynch's hands.

54 minutes ago, Quintus said:

A lot of the imagery was just monotonous and pointless, the "TV static" stuff, for eg. Taking up what felt like many dozens of seconds, it seemed designed to antagonise and perplex.

Agreed, but the only instance where it really bothered me was the never-ending sequence with the Nine Inch Nails. Everything else, pacing and all, felt at home in the episode as a whole.

The gothic vignette with the Giant and the lady was beautiful.

11 minutes ago, crocodile said:

I've only seen the first 20-30 minutes of the first episode so far. Will probably watch it all once it's done. Something tells me it's not terribly rewarding in one-episode-a-week type of format.

Karol

Oh for sure. If you have the patience, I suggest you wait it out and binge it all at once. The slow narrative pacing just makes the whole affair seem monotonous when you're taking it one week at a time. It's probably best to take this as a mini-series to binge.

24 minutes ago, crocodile said:

Karol

In this particular instance they really should have made them all available at once, because I know for a fact it'll be an infinitely more satisfying experience to watch this entirely at one's leisure. The sense of fragmentation alone would be much lessened that way. I think the airing model they decided on was the wrong one. 

13 minutes ago, KK said:

Agreed, but the only instance where it really bothered me was the never-ending sequence with the Nine Inch Nails. Everything else, pacing and all, felt at home in the episode as a whole.

I know it was designed to set the prevailing darkness of mood that was to envelop the episode, but that track was genuinely one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. 

Trent Reznor wasn't it? Absolutely fucking shit. 

43 minutes ago, Quintus said:

I know it was designed to set the prevailing darkness of mood that was to envelop the episode, but that track was genuinely one of the worst things I've ever heard in my life. 

Trent Reznor wasn't it? Absolutely fucking shit. 

Yeah, Reznor. I like some of his songs, but this was too much. I could have stomached it if we didn't have to sit through a full 5 minutes of it.

Is 5-10 minutes of footage from the inside of an explosion really justified too? That was so nearly a great and momentous sequence, before the monotony of the imagery and sound wrestled the captivation away from me. The sheer length of that montage really quite grated.

The areal shot of the atomic explosion was incredible, though. Like with the New York and Vegas, Lynch really has found a way to shoot stuff we've seen plenty of times before in completely novel ways

That was really effective, I love those slow zooms; there was a really great one on the New York building in the first episode. We also have that other shot, again on architecture, on the White Lodge, in this latest instalment. 

I read an interesting theory on Reddit that this was the intermission. Sounds plausible. 

I mean, at one point it even had the old theatrical setting and the film projection. 

It could be radically different again when we return in a fortnight. 

9 hours ago, Quintus said:

Essentially, this episode was undiluted art house cinema. With Twin Peaks in the title.

Yes! Which is why I absolutely adored it. I hope we'll get more episodes like this, although not exclusively.

The Ninch Inch Nails 'music video' was great. Industrial metal was the perfect way to end the 'attempted killing of Mr. C' sequence. And perfectly in line with the hardcore Lynch of LOST HIGHWAY, with its use of Rammstein. Also dug the brief insert of Mr. C waking up and then the segue into the 'creation'/TREE OF LIFE (or 'DEATH') sequence.

Keith Ulich's take, which yet again mirrors many of my own thoughts:

https://mubi.com/notebook/posts/twin-peaks-episode-8-recap-did-you-like-that-song

I actually don't mind the odd select track from Nine Inch Nails (and Rammstein), although this one made me want to drill my own ears out with a mangled rusty spoon. But yeah, I guess there's no accounting for taste.