TWIN PEAKS

Romão

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Is it fully confirmed Bowie didn't film anything new before he died? 

Pretty much, yeah.

The cast list that Lynch and Showtime released is complete - Mark Frost confirmed on Twitter earlier this Spring that that's it: "that's all she wrote," I believe he said.

I still had hopes for surprise cameos they were keeping under wraps - Ontkean and Bowie especially.  Stop mentioning Harry so much if we aren't gonna see Harry!  But my hopes are pretty much dashed, since Bowie got his "In Memory of" in this episode with his archival footage.

Julee Cruise is still yet to appear.  I'm hoping that: a) she sings something from Badalamenti/Lynch, like she did in the original series and on her two best albums,  b) it's a new song and not a lipsync of something from those first two albums, and c) is used for something more impactful than "end credits song."

I think my favorite song so far this season has been Rebekah Del Rio's "No Stars," which was written by David Lynch and John Neff.  She, of course, brought the house down in an important scene in Lynch's Mulholland Dr as well.

A separate thought that crossed my mind - how will Jack Nance get an in-memory-of, with no Martell/Packards or related storylines in this season?  Maybe Lynch will do it at the series ender.  I can't imagine that Lynch would let Nance get by without a mention, since he was integral to Twin Peaks and since he and Nance were so close.  I guess we may see something in archival footage, probably Laura-related, like the "wrapped in plastic" scene.  No way of knowing what's relevant at this point.

A few others who haven't gotten In Memory credits (although their characters were more bit players, some after Lynch's most intensive time) - the actors who played Andrew Packard, Mayor Milford, Mayor Milford's brother, Ernie Niles, Jean Renault (Michael Parks!), Mrs. Tremond, and Senor Droolcup (Great Northern's slow room service waiter who we also saw in the Red Room).  Probably won't be relevant to The Return or get a credit.

18 minutes ago, Jay said:

There's time left to bring in the Packards and Martells

True - but Piper Laurie and Joan Chen aren't on the cast list.

Here is the remaining "unseen" cast at this point, from http://www.dugpa.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=29&t=3715

New Actors:
Jonny Coyne
Francesca Eastwood (*1993)
Rod Rowland (*1964)
Malachy Sreenan
Charlyne Yi (*1986)

Musicians:
Finn Andrews (Musician, The Veils)
Eddie Vedder (Musician, Pearl Jam)

Unknown actors (no acting credits)
Mary Reber

Stunt men and crewmembers
Scott Cameron (first assistant director of the new series)
Richard Bucher (stunt man)
Heath Hensley (stunt man)
Rob Mars (stunt man)
Casey O'Neill (stunt man)

Returning actors
Bellina Martin Logan - Louie Budway (Great Northern desk clerk)
Carlton Lee Russell - Jumping Man (FWWM)
Julee Cruise - Roadhouse Singer
Matt Battaglia - Cop (Season 2, episode 15)

I'd bet Charlene Yi will be a One Scene Roadhouse Weirdo, although who knows.  Don't know any of the other newbies.

Piper said the call never came and she was disappointed by that, but that she was still excited to watch it.

59 minutes ago, mstrox said:

my hopes are pretty much dashed, since Bowie got his "In Memory of" in this episode with his archival footage.

Yes, the most recent episode was the one in which he was originally planned to appear in. Hence the dedication.

Surprised no one has commented on Episode 15 yet. Such a good episode! Two emotionally stirring moments for fans of the original show, creepy convenience store goodness, and.... do we finally, FINALLY, have Dale Cooper back in the next episode after what happened? I think so!

Despite knowing that the actress who played The Log Lady died before the show was even released, the way they give her a sendoff in the show was both fitting in context and handled so perfectly. Watching her final moment, with the phone no longer in her hand, speaking more directly to us than before, was really moving. Art imitating life in a way that really made me choke up.

But even before that... Ed and Norma are finally able to be together! That was handled so perfectly, with Nadine finally letting him go! It was all done in a rather random but definitely Lynchian way, but was so great to see. Clearly a huge "fan service" bit, but one that was definitely deserved, especially after that prior episode of Ed sitting alone looking miserable. Given how long people have wanted to see these two get together, it's almost as emotional as The Log Lady's sendoff. I swear, Lynch better not pull some tragic death with them on us at the last moment. Come on, you gotta let some people have a happy ending! :D

The Phillip Jefferies bit was cool in this episode, but part of me wishes it didn't really happen after how he was shown and handled in the previous episode. Wasn't really a fan of the dubbing, but they clearly had no choice.

There's a lot going on in this episode I am sure you guys will talk about more, I just wanted to get the ball rolling. But also... Audrey... what the hell is going on with her?! I am getting more and more confused. LOL

Ed, Nadine, and Norma - perfection, and honestly that's all I need out of these characters' stories.  A nice wrap-up. Hopefully Nadine doesn't change her mind or something awful befall them at this point.  As a side note,  Nadine and Jacoby is such an obvious, perfect pairing - although the episode prior doesn't really show whether that's a friendship or a romance.

The Mr. C/Jeffries scene is classic Lynch dread.  I wonder why they felt the need to redub Bowie's lines last week and this week in the archival footage - it was VERY clear this week.  Maybe they didn't have the rights for Bowie's voice?  I can't imagine that they needed the consistency - since the new Jeffries is a big furnace.

Interesting that Audrey's son (a confirmation!) followed Mr. C, and that they are now a team.  It leads me to a few thoughts - 1, I think it negates theories that Audrey is in some sort of post-Season-2 coma, since he mentions his mother's possessions and mentions of Cooper, and 2) the fact that he's still alive lends some credence to the theory that Mr. C is the father.

It's hard to place what's going on with Becky's husband and the Hayward daughter.  Did he say something happened to Becky?  Did he get her first, before he got himself?  The man walking the dog, BTW, was Mark Frost.

The Cooper/electrical socket thing - while I'm happy that this will likely progress the Dougie/Cooper storyline, the fact that the "amnesia" is resolved by a trauma (shock, bop on the head, etc) was a kind of cliché I was hoping we wouldn't see.  It works with the theme of electricity - just assumed that Lynch/Frost had something more complex in mind with the Dougie storyline.  Anyway, the assassins are in Vegas now, and it looks like Dougie is their only target left.  Maybe next week this will all come to a head!

James and Green Man - seems a bit weird that James would confront that woman's husband like that - maybe some awkwardness/lack of social awareness related to the accident mentioned in Part 2?  Anyway, it does put Green Man in the vicinity of Naido in the cells - assuming since Green Man was sent by The Fireman, that this is right where he needs to be.

BTW, the woman's husband, who went to intensive care, is one of the random names that got thrown around the Roadhouse - Chuck.   http://twinpeaks.wikia.com/wiki/Chuck

His truck was stolen by whoever Billy is.

The Charlene Yi scene at the end in the Roadhouse was probably my favorite random Roadhouse scene yet - not that it made any more sense narratively than the others, but it wasn't just a jumble of random names and had a good feel to it.

I've stopped caring now. Just need to see my investment completed, that's all that's left to do now. Not long.

Btw, there were some really good parts in this episode. But that has been my biggest issue with this revival.

The first half had a lot of promise, then it burned out. At the very least, this week and last week seem to promise a better balance of Twin Peaks then many of its dull predecessors.

I know some people love every minute of this on a weekly basis (I won't say a lot of people, because statistically the number just isn't all that large relative to other television shows currently being enjoyed), but I'd say there are about 6 hours worth of absolute garbage here. Totally useless material and unbridled in its mission to pad shit out. Felt like an actual waste of my time, like, tangibly.

On 8/21/2017 at 5:17 PM, TheGreyPilgrim said:

there is dead air every week with this show, but it doesn't really bother me I guess. 

Basically how I feel. 

That's what I was hoping my reaction would be going in, especially after the beginning 2hr special. The setup of those opening beats, it was sooooo mouth watering to me.

But no, the original series is where it's at as far as my own enjoyment of this fiction is concerned. Apples and oranges though really, init. I don't think that's how it should be, but that's where it is.

I've never seen anything so disjointed and inconsequential. For instance; this week had that long scene at the tree in the woods between scumbag whathisface and that girl from 25 years ago at Doc Haywards house... I DO NOT GIVE A TOSS ABOUT THESE CHARACTERS.

I won't convert "dead air" into some sort of pseudo merit.

Watched the latest episode last night

Nadine, Ed, and Norma - This was indeed quite nice and generally well done, but.. well, a bit random.  Seems unlikely that it would have taken Nadine 25 freaking years to get to this place, I dunno.  This is the kind of thing that probably would have happened in like, season 4 or 5 if the original show hadn't been canceled after 2.

Evil Coop, the Bowie Furnace, and douchebag Horne guy - Bummer about Bowie not being able to film this scene in person, the furnace thing was just as silly as the tree replacing Michael J. Anderson.  This whole Judy thing seems like something that should have be introduced earlier and not 2 episodes from the end.  Is Judy gonna be like, Sarah Palmer's real name from the 50s before a bug went into her or something?

James and Green Glove guy - the bar fight was kind of random I thought, but the jail scene was a bit more interesting.  Feels like something is finally gonna happen with all these guys in one place

Charlene Yi - What's the point of hiring her for a one sentence, weird role?  Will we be seeing her again?

Amanda Seyfried's weird husband and the Hayward daughter in the woods - WTF was even happening here? :sleepy:

Audrey and her husband continue to yell at each other - :sleepy:

Charlyne Amanda Yi[1] (born January 4, 1986)[1] is an American actress, comedian, musician and writer. Her performances include music, magic, games, and often audience participation.[2]

Her screenwriting debut, the feature film Paper Heart, won the Waldo Salt Screenwriting Award at the 2009 Sundance Film Festival. She is also known for her role as Dr. Chi Park in the medical drama House.

I did like the Log Lady scene, although I feel like it would have been more impactful (for me) if she hadn't already had four very similar scenes with "Goodbye Margaret"s  from Hawk.  I thought that her first one all the way back in the first/second parts was already a really sweet send-off.

Woah, that's pretty neat about the timing of the Charlene Yi crawl and Coop crawl!

And yea, my bad for completely forgetting to mention the Log Lady!  Her final scene was nice but yes, a bit undercut by having all her scenes this season already having a similar feel and tone and Hawk response - Almost like she was literally dying as they were filming, so they just filmed each one so it could be the last if she did.  Also, I have no idea what she was trying to tell Hawk in the last one, something about remember something she told him face to face.  Is that some reference to the original run?

And I'm kinda surprised BB doesn't know who Charlene Yi is; She was in Knocked Up and returned to the same role in This is 40, starred with Michael Cera in Paper Hearts, was on 30 Rock and House, etc.

12 hours ago, mstrox said:

I did like the Log Lady scene, although I feel like it would have been more impactful (for me) if she hadn't already had four very similar scenes with "Goodbye Margaret"s  from Hawk.  I thought that her first one all the way back in the first/second parts was already a really sweet send-off.

I agree. 

I saw the girl "synching" up with Coop the day after the episode aired (fans work fast) and I thought it was just another coincidental stretch of fanboy imagination, same as the other videos which seem intent on proving that Lynch has somehow done it all on purpose. However, I won't be surprised if Coop does end up being spewed out of this girl next episode, because it seems a normal conduit at this point, and because the only thing that does "sync" really is the crawling movement between the two (because crawling looks the same when people do it). 

Hopefully something will come of her scene next episode. But if not, I'll say nothing about it synced up. 

Charlene did say she was waiting for someone though, so here's hoping...

I assumed she was waiting for Wally Brando, given the Charlene Yi/Michael Cera connection!

I hate all of the weird twist theorizing that goes on with things.  People on Twin Peaks message boards are picking all of this stuff apart, many things are likely editing errors or fudges (like apparently Big Ed's reflection moves differently than he does in one scene - which is easy enough to explain editorially as a combination of two shots, but it doesn't stop people on dugpa.com from having twenty pages worth of theories about it).

I know this thinking is not new - it's just way outside of the realm of how I enjoy things.  I'm sure the people who do these things are enjoying it in their own way - it's just so foreign and uninteresting to me.

Same with looking for plot holes and dissecting things after the fact, like all of those YouTube bozos people like.  Only thing I'm concerned about is if a movie or show tells me a story I like.

I think about it between episodes, but more awefully of lynch's best stuff.  this week, I've been thinking a lot about the RR Diner scene with Otis Redding playing, Ed and Norma.  And about Cooper's dark odyssey above the convenience store.  Scenes both beautiful and chilling - they leave an impression for me.

There's no point in theorizing - for me at least - because TP: TR has been the least predictable thing I've seen in a long, long time.

20 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I assumed she was waiting for Wally Brando, given the Charlene Yi/Michael Cera connection!

I hate all of the weird twist theorizing that goes on with things.  People on Twin Peaks message boards are picking all of this stuff apart, many things are likely editing errors or fudges (like apparently Big Ed's reflection moves differently than he does in one scene - which is easy enough to explain editorially as a combination of two shots, but it doesn't stop people on dugpa.com from having twenty pages worth of theories about it).

I know this thinking is not new - it's just way outside of the realm of how I enjoy things.  I'm sure the people who do these things are enjoying it in their own way - it's just so foreign and uninteresting to me.

Same with looking for plot holes and dissecting things after the fact, like all of those YouTube bozos people like.  Only thing I'm concerned about is if a movie or show tells me a story I like.

This guy gets it. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

This is not a show I think about much between episodes.

In the weeks before The Return premiered and for quite a few after it, I was immersed in Twin Peaks, from the lore through to the mechanical function of each episode. But my interest has gradually waned as the show has plodded on, and I no longer Google it anymore.

I haven't googled anything about it once

Admittedly, that could be at least partially do the fact that we didn't start watching until it was already half-aired, so until we caught up I didn't want to google anything for spoiler concerns, and by the time we were caught up to everyone else, it was well into the time when we knew the return was flawed and slow and everything else and interest had waned from my pre-premiere hype