TWIN PEAKS

Romão

So Audrey Horne? Any speculation?

My guess is Mr. C seduces her, but at some point she found out the truth and he trapped her in somekinda limbo or pergatory inside the Black Lodge. After she gave birth to their son, obviously.

Well Annie was essentially a replacement for Audrey after production shenanigans forced Lynch to take her relationship with Cooper another way.

Audrey trapped in the Lodge works for me, especially since we haven't seen Annie.

On ‎9‎/‎17‎/‎2017 at 9:06 AM, Stefancos said:

Well Annie was essentially a replacement for Audrey after production shenanigans forced Lynch to take her relationship with Cooper another way.

Audrey trapped in the Lodge works for me, especially since we haven't seen Annie.

For the brief bit that he talked about her, her son seemed to have an awareness of her as a person.  She wouldn't have been in the Lodge, if that were the case.  Ben Horne also laments Richard's lack of a father - but doesn't mention lack of any parents, etc.

I touched on my theory above, which is that the Roadhouse, and the Audrey/Charlie stuff, is all part of Audrey's disassociation/delusion after her abuse, etc.  The last shot of Part 16 probably isn't an "awakening" per se, although I used that phrase.  Just maybe a moment of lucidity.

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, mstrox said:

What is the second picture?

That's Paul Walker, in what I'd guess is  still from his last scene in the seventh Fast and Furious movie, since he died while it was being shot and they wrote his character out of the franchise

• 4 weeks later...

Ha, just realized I never posted to post my thoughts on episode 18 here!

Well, it was pretty crummy, I thought.  I liked Dougie reuniting with Naomi Watts and son, that was nice.  But then Cooper and Diane's wild ride was just awkward and weird.  Why did they have to have this extended sex scene that went on and on, it didn't fit into anything the show was otherwise doing, and just felt wildly out of place and pointless.

Then Cooper going to that diner and meeting that fake Laura Palmer that was actually completely different, and they go to Laura Palmer's house... blah, just weird and boring and not a fulfilling ending in any way.  I thought Sheryl Lee was good in this role but really the whole thing was just weird.

So overall, I thought the show was a mixed bag; So much of it was cool and weird, so much of it was different than anything else being made today.  Parts of it felt like a great, natural continuation of the original series, but so much of it felt like padding and pointless detours into indulgence.  But the biggest flaw, really, was the lack of resolutions to so, SO Many story elements.  To many interesting stories that got a beginning, MAYBE a middle, and no ending.  I know they hope to get renewed and make more, but there are ways to make each season fully satisfying while still knowing you'll finish more storylines later, and they didn't do that here.  

So I guess glad we watched it, but its nothing I'll be revisiting any time soon.  Oh well

I think about what I'll revisit on the Blu-ray (besides the extras, which I'm just super excited for), and I'll say it's probably episode 8, and the last 1.5 hours (from right after the BOB Bubble Punch Out, through to "Laura's" scream.  That's the stuff I want to rewatch and really unwrap.

My experience with Episode 18 was much more positive than yours, though, Jason.  I assumed a few months ago that you didn't care for it, since you hadn't come back to talk about it ;) 

The Diane stuff was a self-indulgent mess. But I found the Laura stuff strangely chilling. It was like we were watching another short film set in that world.

Episode 8 has the best rewatch value. Other than that, maybe the premiere and the finale.

Any other show with so many misses instead of hits and people would write it off as a matter of course. Unlike a lot of people though, I'm not treating Twin Peaks 3 any differently to any of those other shows. 4-5 decent episodes in amidst 12 or so forgettable others does not a good show make. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

You even liked the extended hotel stay with never ending weird sex scene too, troxy?

I did - I liked the creepiness of it (the sense of confusion leading up to it - what happened once they passed that mile marker in the previous scene that makes everything different?; Lynch's build-up to it in the parking lot with Diane seeing her double; the use of music seguing into creepy score; Diane's reaction - covering Cooper's face, crying

wAAACH5BAEKAAAALAAAAAABAAEAAAICRAEAOw==

- probably in reaction to her previous assault by Mr. C).  I found it disorienting in a good way, especially with Cooper waking up in a new location.

I think Episode 17 was the perfect ending for Twin Peaks fans, and Episode 18 was the perfect ending for Lost Highway fans - just in the sense that, even though there are ties to Twin Peaks (the Dougie/Janey-E reunion, Coop emerging from the Lodge), but everything after that really reeks of the identity games and general tone that Lynch created in that movie.

I think that overall, Twin Peaks: The Return was an awful continuation of the series Twin Peaks, but a really intriguing piece of longform filmmaking.  It's not unimpeachable - and I've made it clear in previous posts the things that I've most strongly disliked about it - but I think it's a worthwhile and challenging watch.

7 minutes ago, KK said:

Episode 8 has the best rewatch value. Other than that, maybe the premiere and the finale.

The 2 hour premiere had some really great stuff - including the New York skyscraper box storyline, which really smacked of later-era Lynch as well - and its time loop back to that storyline at the end when Cooper falls through space.  And then the last second return to the Roadhouse (remember in episode 2 when going to the Roadhouse gave us a sense of relief instead of frustration??) and a few familiar faces, as a comfortable pillow for our landing.

4 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Any other show with so many misses instead of hits and people would write it off as a matter of course. Unlike a lot of people though, I'm not treating Twin Peaks 3 any differently to any of those other shows. 4-5 decent episodes in amidst 12 or so forgettable others does not a good show make. 

With exceptions of The Elephant Man, The Straight Story, and maybe Blue Velvet, this is the story of all of Lynch's work - especially late-period.  The stuff that is good is "so good" that usually it makes every film worth it to me (although I have a hard time imaging going back to Inland Empire, despite its wonderful last twenty minutes or so).

I'll say this much.  Though I was initially put off by where the show ended up, repeat viewings of the finale warmed me to it, and I find myself wanting to revisit the whole season whenever one of the great song selections comes across my stereo.

I also recommend DAVID LYNCH: THE ART LIFE if you haven't seen it yet. Fascinating glimpse into the director's formative years, and the influences that shaped his visual style. You'll recognize several links between his conceptual art and the tableau scenes in THE RETURN.