TWIN PEAKS

Romão

1 hour ago, Denise Bryson said:

Lacking what? I can't think of anything they're missing.

What you have to remember is I was at one time a big OT Twin Peaks fan and I watched parts of it a lot. One really begins to notice all of the various cues which are rich variations and permutations of the sprawl of themes that make up Twin Peaks, such as the version of Laura's theme which begins on the lower registers of a flute rather than the more known synthesised version. The Dark Woods music, my favourite, is marvellously eerie and unsettling in expanded form. The half dozen or so permutations of Audrey's Dance, all of them different enough to be well worth having, the dozens and dozens of other permutations of the jazzy Twin Peaks underscore, etc etc. The music in the original series is sprawling and delightful, when you really pay attention to it. 

Which is why The Return is shit compared to it. 

Did a cue such as Audrey's Prayer make the OST? I can't remember. 

There are only so many variations of one piece of music I can take. Sometimes I just have to accept the one the composer or album producer chose to release and move on. It's a big reason I find many of the Japanese Godzilla soundtrack releases to be intolerable as they're like a dump of recording sessions thoughtlessly loaded on two CDs, with about seven or eight repeats of the same music consecutively, usually about 10 seconds each.

Audrey's Prayer is on the Season 2 CD.

Yes, I suspect Thor would say the same thing (getting it in before speak of the devil rears up once again to inform us of his listening preferences). For me though, I find it annoying when a particular version of a theme or an incidental cue I really love is omitted from the OST release. Say I was going to make a car playlist of my favourite Twin Peaks music? I'd choose my favourite permutation of Audrey's Dance - I wouldn't include every single version available on a personal 'best of' compilation. Hence why Lynch's sharing of the full score a few years ago was like being gifted a treasure trove of riches for Badalamenti fans. 

On 1/19/2018 at 9:41 AM, mstrox said:

The documentaries are littered with Lynch's wrap speeches for various actors - every time they had their last shot, he'd bring everyone in and say a few words and the cast/crew would cheer them.  He did this for all roles, minor and major (for instance, he did it after Michael Cera completed his only two takes).  The funny part - Kyle McLachlan got four farewell speeches - one for his wrap on each character.

lol

Of course, it used to be amazing, and the original episode that is taken from is one of the best episodes of the entire show!

Yes, the best part of one of the best episodes!

There's a small part of me that is a little irked that KIDS THESE DAYS have made this segment a meme for whatever reason, because I, as an OLD PERSON, feel some invalid sense of ownership over it.  But I'm enjoying some of the stuff that's out there, so I guess I'll just get over being old.

53 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Yes, the best part of one of the best episodes!

I agree with mstrox!

53 minutes ago, mstrox said:

There's a small part of me that is a little irked that KIDS THESE DAYS have made this segment a meme for whatever reason, because I, as an OLD PERSON, feel some invalid sense of ownership over it.  But I'm enjoying some of the stuff that's out there, so I guess I'll just get over being old.

I have no idea what this means.

I've internalized and rewatched the classic Simpsons bits, and now a new generation is discovering them and I find my brain scoffing at them for it.

Kind of like you might feel if you're really into your favorite indie band and then they have a big hit single or two and all of these new, younger people are calling themselves "real fans!"

It's a completely dumb feeling - just acknowledging that side of me as all of the kids on Twitter talk about the "steamed hams" meme

So I am off of work today and am 3 episodes into my rewatch.  A few thoughts:

1) a lot of the weird “what are they talking about” stuff (at least in the first three parts  - not the weird Roadhouse chats) make COMPLETE sense, knowing plot points that are coming up, future revelations, etc.  things that had struck me as “plot holes,” unexplained things, abandoned things, weird unchronological stuff, etc - so much of it is clicking into place and working now, seeing how they built towards it.  The show as a whole feels a lot more “narrative” and less weird.

2). Taking into account the above, as well as generally knowing where the show is going (I.e. no feeling of “when are they gonna get tot he fireworks factory???”), it doesn’t feel nearly as slow.  Still obviously a slow paced film.

3) I’m struck now on rewatch with just how much non-Badalamenti sound design/score there is.  I haven’t been cataloging because that sounds like it will take me out of the film in a dreadful way, but there is TONS of stuff from Dean Hurley’s Twin speaks release in here.  Tones in the black lodge, tones in the purple room in part 3, stingers used on certain scenes.  No idea if this is a complete representation (it’s labeled volume 1), but it’s available here https://deanhurley.bandcamp.com/

I was worried that a rewatch would find me liking this less, but I actually am liking it much more.  We’ll see if that holds up through the Dougie antics and Roadhouse weirdness.

• 2 months later...

So I took a lot of time off, but finally finished my rewatch of Twin Peaks The Return.

The parts that dragged the MOST for me, honestly, were Part 8 and Part 18.  They're both still excellent, but they're also the two parts I spent the most time thinking about after the series ended.  So I didn't get that pleasurable notion of being surprised or intrigued, which is why I don't typically rewatch things until many years after I've seen them last.  The last half of Part 17 (starting with the Cooper/Sherriff's station overlay deal and ending with Laura disappearing in the woods) was still captivating.

So besides those two, the MVP "parts" for me were 1 (the New York box), 2 (the Red Room), 3 (Cooper in the weird other place), 15 (Ed and Norma reunite, Dougie shocks himself awake), and 16 (Cooper awakens, Audrey awakens).

In summation, better than the first time around.  The weight of expectation/anticipation was gone, and I could see the whole picture of Lynch/Frost's work.  If you were at all disappointed, I'd recommend giving it a second look.

Episode 8 is one of the greatest masterpieces on TV in, like, forever. The guts in transcribing what is essentially an art installation to mainstream TV is, in a word, stunning.

I think some of you guys bum epi 8 just because you think it's the cool thing to do and think it grants you credibility. There were parts I HATED when I first saw the episode, but upon a second viewing I appreciated it quite a bit more, but that doesn't mean I now consider it some masterpiece beyond reproach either.

For me, arguably, the only "problems" with Episode 8 were the long NIN song (which didn't bother me as much the second time around, and it served as a nice break between the Twin Peaks story and the What, and maybe the nuclear explosion didn't need to be so long.  But it all worked for me the first and the second times.

Just watched an old episode of The Muppet Show with my kid, and it struck me:

Tim Roth was doing an unashamed imitation of Jim Nabors in this series - both the accent and the mannerisms.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Just watched an old episode of The Muppet Show with my kid, and it struck me:

Tim Roth was doing an unashamed imitation of Jim Nabors in this series - both the accent and the mannerisms.

First I had to google who Jim Nabors was, but that still didn't help me. Did he play in TWIN PEAKS?

He was an American comedy/variety actor best known for playing Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffith Show and a spin-off based on his character.  He has a thick Midwest accent and his schtick is that he's kind of a goofy hayseed.

here's a clip from The Muppet Show that I saw last night, which reminded me of Tim Roth's character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq7kJ5uQcuc

He had nothing to do with Twin Peaks.

Just looked him up myself because you asked, and found out he is dead (and was gay)!  Guess I didn't know much about Jim Nabors beyond Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle reruns!

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Uhhhhh, midwest?  That is a deep, deep Southern accent.

I thought it was, but then I saw that he was from Indiana so I changed my post!

Oops!  DId'nt do a thorough read of Wikipedia, this part jumped out at me and I made an assumption

Nabors was also known for singing "Back Home Again in Indiana" prior to the start of the Indianapolis 500, held annually over the Memorial Day weekend. He sang the unofficial Indiana anthem almost every year from 1972 to 2014, except for occasional absences due to illness or scheduling conflicts.[1][2]

19 hours ago, mstrox said:

He was an American comedy/variety actor best known for playing Gomer Pyle on the Andy Griffith Show and a spin-off based on his character.  He has a thick Midwest accent and his schtick is that he's kind of a goofy hayseed.

here's a clip from The Muppet Show that I saw last night, which reminded me of Tim Roth's character.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kq7kJ5uQcuc

He had nothing to do with Twin Peaks.

Just looked him up myself because you asked, and found out he is dead (and was gay)!  Guess I didn't know much about Jim Nabors beyond Andy Griffith and Gomer Pyle reruns!

I see. I was just confused why you brought this up in the TWIN PEAKS thread, I guess.