TWIN PEAKS

Romão

One thing I found interesting - musically, this was very similar to Inland Empire or Lost Highway.  A lot of silence, a lot of droning/sound design.  The only actual score cues that I picked up on in Pt1/2 were definitely tracked from the original series.

Stefan, do we get to hear any new Badalamenti score in 3-4?

Twin Peaks S3E4

Spoiler

Boy, whatever Lynch has planned, he's in no hurry to get back to Twin Peaks. Again mostly police station action this ep. We see Bobby as a deputy and some of his classic over the top acting as he sees the picture of Laura. And we meet Lucy and Andy's kid. But most importantly Robert Forster makes his mark, as Sherif Truman, brother of Sherif Truman. His laconic acting style fits right in with Lynch, and with very little to do makes an immediate impression. Like Kyle Maclachlan, who spends most of the episode as Cooper gurning like a complete idiot. Yes is able to hold the attention while doing it.

Something resembling a plot is starting to form, which is probably for the better, but I guess is it will still be a while before we see Agent Dale Cooper marvelling about Douglas firs!

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

One thing I found interesting - musically, this was very similar to Inland Empire or Lost Highway.  A lot of silence, a lot of droning/sound design.  The only actual score cues that I picked up on in Pt1/2 were definitely tracked from the original series.

Stefan, do we get to hear any new Badalamenti score in 3-4?

You don't consider the droning synth to be score?

The main title music definatly sounds identical to the original series, so I doubt they redid that. Laura's theme shows up in Ep 4, but that sounds tracked too. There's a fun musical coda for the slot machines. But for the most part it's eerie synth textures associated with the Black Lodge.

1 hour ago, mstrox said:

Next week is another two hours (3 and 4), and then it shifts to one hour

Ah OK.  So still, the people who plow through all 4 available eps right away have to wait 2 whole weeks for new content.

I think I'll try to space out eppies 1,2,3,4 as much as I can between now and when ep 5 begins the normal rotation. By then we'll be watching each new episode right away Monday nights like when Game of Thrones is on.

OH SHIT, I just realized that for 7 weeks BOTH Twin Peaks AND GOT will air new eps against each other on Sunday nights.  Yikes.  Well, Twin Peaks will have to wait till Tuesday for those 7 weeks, for us.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

You don't consider the droning synth to be score?

I do, but I'm honestly not sure if that's Badalamenti or if it's just Lynch leaning on his keyboard.  It sounds a lot like what Lynch did alone in Inland Empire and in some of his non-film albums.

I remember two instances of clearly-Badalamenti music, both needledrops - one when Hawk is going through the woods to Glastonberry.  Can't remember where the other track, but I think it was a little bit of jazzy stuff, maybe over something that wasn't associated with the town of TP?

Not really complaining, because I liked the mood of the episodes.  Just surprised that so much was made out of Badalamenti's return, but the only noticeably Badalamenti-ish stuff was tracked.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

I would personally put GOT on the back burner instead of Peaks, but your choice.

Actually, I just remembered that when GOT returns, I'm going to subscribe to HBO Now, and we'll be able to watch the new eps Sunday nights at 9 along with everyone else

I'm a total zombie today.  Can't wait up no matter how much coffee I have.

I think those taste gross!  Coffee tastes wonderful, though the free coffee at work here is pretty bad.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

I think those taste gross!  Coffee tastes wonderful, though the free coffee at work here is pretty bad.

Our little Jay is growing up. I remember reading posts from you when you said you never touched coffee. 

Yea, I never touched the stuff until I was... I dunno, 33 or 34 I guess?  Maybe a little earlier.

17 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Ive been drinking coffee since I was 5.

Me too.  I used to literally drink a "sippy cup" of coffee on the way to school in the mornings.

I had my first cup of coffee ever the day of my junior prom when I was 16, then never touched it again until I had a GF that drank a lot of Dunkin Donuts ice coffees and I would try sips occasionally.

Then somewhere in my early 30s I began to occasionally buy ice coffees myself, basically for the (heavily flavored/sugared) flavor more than anything else at that time.

Sometime around I guess 32, 33, 34, whatever it was, I began to actually enjoy the taste of plain coffee and since 34ish I've been a daily drinker, basically have some every morning of my life... not always on weekend mornings though.  Definitely every day I work, though.

Yea totally.  And I don't even mind that I am.  I have definitely become a bit of a coffee snob though, luckily Wegman's medium roast is both cheap and great tasting

Lynch has really doubled down on "this is all one long movie" - as neither of the first two "parts" really ended on any specific button.  It should all flow together pretty seamlessly, except for the credits. 

The Showtime app has Part 1 and Part 2 separate, even though they aired as one long piece.  I was curious to see where the Part 1 cut-off was.  Part 1 ends when the cops in South Dakota lift the tire and find the bloody flesh in Matthew Lillard's trunk.  Then, in a part that wasn't in the combined episode when it aired, it cuts back to the Giant in black and white from the first scene, and then to the victrola.  Credits scroll over a shot of the victrola.  I'm not sure if the shot of the Giant is from the beginning, or something new.  Anyway, nothing plot-related.  Just a curiosity.

I can't stop thinking about these episodes!  I was planning to wait until next Sunday to watch 3/4, but I probably won't make it.

Maybe I'll wait until the season is about halfway done, an just subscribe to the Showtime app and watch them that way...

I honestly never expected it to take the direction it has and to this extent, but this is even better than I imagined it would be. Judging from what I've just seen, it's going to be a TV sensation. 

On 5/21/2017 at 3:34 AM, Quintus said:

It always takes me three episodes to settle into it, to be comfortable with the things you criticised it for. Because it is jarring at first. But then after that it comes to feel strangely normal, and you just go with it. The weird outdated (yet somehow timeless) style is key to the experience and its cult appeal. Looks like you missed that part. 

Indeed. Its kitsch has a certain hypnotic quality to it.

1 hour ago, Quintus said:

I think it's possible this extended first episode featured the most frightening scene I can remember seeing on American television. 

Which one?  The ghost in the box? Evil Cooper and the girl in the hotel?

As the article states, it's a pretty complicated business calculating and gauging actual viewership in today's media climate. Plus the piece didn't even factor in illegal downloads of the show at all, which are bound to be astronomical for this show. Hopefully (for Showtime's sake) the quality shown thus far will turn into strong word of mouth and an increase in legit viewing figures, especially seeing as there are still plenty of episodes left. But regardless of whether TP3 is ever considered a commercial success in the short term, I have no doubt whatsoever that it will in the end prove lucrative for the station. People will want to enjoy this over a very long period of time. 

Hardy har. In all seriousness though, it's also worth remembering that compared to Game of Thrones, or The Walking Dead; Twin Peaks is no longer what would be considered a "mainstream" entertainment. That two hour special? Not by a fucking longshot! 

I've seen a fair amount of social media buzz before and after the premiere. This isn't the kind of show that's going to get GoT level instant premiere viewership. It's still a cult favourite and I'm sure will be a lucrative success for Showtime, if the quality holds up.

I wonder if the non-standard two hour runtime had a negative effect on viewing figures the night it aired. It'll be interesting to see if there's a marked increase in the instalments which immediately followed the "film" beginning. 

Just finished the premiere.

Some bizarre stuff. I can see how it could alienate modern audiences that devour instant entertainment a la GoTStranger Things and Riverdale

But you can't take your eyes off it. Lynch is going for a very slow burn, and I can't wait to see where it goes.

Indeed. And those are the kids that usually make up most of Netflix's killer ratings.

The premiere may have also been much darker than some were expecting. I'm sure there's a whole group of millennials hoping to chew on some rebooted soapy 90s nostalgia along the likes Full House and whatnot.

But what we got was Twin Peaks without the camp and kitsch. Heck there's little actually happening at Twin Peaks at all. It's unadulterated Lynchian horror.