TWIN PEAKS

Romão

There is a (small) part of me that hopes this is true. Because that would mean it can actually be good.

But then, I remember Twin Peaks film as well. And it wasn't.

Karol

Well, Lynch and Frost had already handed in the completed scripts. We didn't hear anything about writers struggles or rewrites, it all seemed to be moving quickly. Last time that happened Better Call Saul was the result.

I didn't like Fire Walk With Me either, but loads of the fans swear by it.

Terrible news if Lynch walks out of this (I assume it means from directing duties since the scripts are finished, as previously noted). I'm crossing my fingers untill Showtime realizes what they're missing.

Cashing in on a flawed hit from 25 years ago.

He aint no Vince Gilligan for sure!

No, he's way better (and that says something, given how much I like Gilligan's stuff). There would be no BREAKING BAD or BETTER CALL SAUL if it hadn't been for TWIN PEAKS - the best television series of all time. So I have no doubt the project is going forward even without Lynch's involvement.

Was Twin Peaks really that good? I remember giving up halfway during the second season. I never did that with BB. I wonder how it holds up today.

I fear there wasn't much more then 'mystery'. After a while you want to move on from that. I got tired of the umpteenth mystery brass stinger in Lost as well. Each time they opened the mystery box, there was another box.

Of course, I prefer the quirky characters of Twin Peaks over the cliché characters in Lost.

I want to see this happen with Lynch on board but I wonder if he's not gone crazy (his religious cult is very weird).

Was Twin Peaks really that good? I remember giving up halfway during the second season. I never did that with BB. I wonder how it holds up today.

For me, there has hardly been a piece of artwork more profound than TWIN PEAKS. In fact, it inspired me to write a whole novel in my teenage years. It's also my very first soundtrack. A lot of who I am today, I owe to this series.

As for the progression, it's something that divides people. Some find the second half of the second season to be too 'soapy' -- I liked it the more out-there and absurd it got.

For me, 90% of the value is in atmosphere. The mystery aspect wasn't that important to me (I don't usually like crime movies and TV shows).

That's because Twin Peaks was great until the second half of the second season, when it lost it.

And my understanding was Lynch was asking more money for the production itself.

Can't imagine that Twin Peaks could ever cost a huge amount from a production standpoint. Probably the biggest budget issue is money for the talent. Maybe Lynch/Frost's scripts call for a huge cast (returning characters and new characters) and Shotime was having a hard time ponying up the cash.

Since Showtime brought him out on stage shortly after the announcement, he's probably already contracted. If so, he can't use his participation or lack thereof as leverage in the Lynch situation.

• 1 month later...

Also possibly extra episodes? http://news.yahoo.com/david-lynch-twin-peaks-showtime-revival-happening-again-001522102.html;_ylt=A0LEVyPLpVZVZMIANktXNyoA;_ylu=X3oDMTByMjB0aG5zBGNvbG8DYmYxBHBvcwMxBHZ0aWQDBHNlYwNzYw--

"This damn fine cup of coffee from Mark and David tastes more delicious than ever," Showtime president David Nevins said in a statement Friday confirming the news. "Totally worth the extra brewing time and the cup is even bigger than we expected. David will direct the whole thing which will total more than the originally announced nine hours. Preproduction starts now!!”

Anyway, really hope that's that.

After all these years and the amount of work Lynch and Frost had already put into it, plus the considerable hype, this was never not going to happen. Anyway I'm hoping for 12 episodes.

• 2 weeks later...

There will be 18 new episodes and Badalamenti is confirmed to return -

"David Lynch will direct 18 new episodes of Twin Peaks.

Angelo Badalamenti is composing brand new music for the series.

Twede’s Cafe in North Bend, WA, will be restored as the original Double R Diner set".

http://welcometotwinpeaks.com/news/18-new-twin-peaks-episodes-angelo-badalamenti-washington-state/

I just hope they aren't taking the nine scripts they spent years refining and breaking them apart and stretching them to 18

Hmmm, I agree that 18 seems to be stretching it by today's standards, however, it took 16 episodes to tell the Laura Palmer murder story, so as long as they have a specific story to tell it can work.

Here's my "theory" on it.

Lynch and Frost wrote 9 scripts. They asked Showtime for a budget and Showtime said, "No way, way too big. You want to renovate these locations in the northwest (RR Diner, etc), you want to shoot on location, you want to bring in a cast this big, etc etc etc. It's not doable."

Showtime eventually agreed to the large budget - the concession that Lynch made in these negotiations is a "second season" (or second half after an extensive midseason break). The money spent on these assets is now defrayed, as they are used for twice as many episodes,

I think they'll film Lynch/Frost's nine scripts as-is, and this is a guarantee of nine additional episodes to make sure Showtime's financial investment is worth it.

• 5 weeks later...