TWIN PEAKS

Romão

The Lincoln impersonator's delivery of the radio broadcast was great.  

2 minutes ago, BloodBoal said:

Oh, and one more thing: you're gonna have to remove that avatar!

The road is his dharma.  Your dharma.... - motions hand to JWFan -

Caught up!

A run of the mill episode I guess. I enjoyed the Dougie Jones stuff and it was nice that Naomi Watts got to play a different note than the shrill bossy housewife.

The Vegas stuff was good too. But for the most part this eps dealt with all the storylines I so far have no interest in. Though the Run Silent, Run Drapes shot was priceless.

On 18/07/2017 at 3:15 PM, Quintus said:

I must mention that the increasingly frequent and intense brutality some of the male characters exhibit towards the women in this under Lynch's direction is becoming a tad problematic for me. As his themes go, it's definitely the more repugnant one of the lot, and often feels overly aggressive and gratuitous. At this stage I am dubious of it

Cruelty and denegration of women is a frequent recurring thing in Lynch' films apparently. 

Its a little unsettling to watch, tbh. 

The murder of Maddie in Season 2 was pretty intense and graphic, especially for 90's tv. But that FELT intense, and dramatically "earned". So far in the new season the violence feels alarmingly random.

If in the end this is all justified, one way or another, I will grant Lynch a pass for the heavy depiction of misogynistic violence in The Return. But he's fast running out of episodes.

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

Caught up!

A run of the mill episode I guess. I enjoyed the Dougie Jones stuff and it was nice that Naomi Watts got to play a different note than the shrill bossy housewife.

The Vegas stuff was good too. But for the most part this eps dealt with all the storylines I so far have no interest in.

Don't you think the wanton waste of precious runtime and Lynch overindulgence is at this stage running the risk of being a key lasting impression of the big return of Twin Peaks?

For me, there's practically zero drive or excitement in incoming next episodes anymore. I'm now watching out of sheer long-term investment, and because I'm holding out hope for a gangbusters finale to it all. But getting there has been an absolute slog at times. A lot of it plain old boring.

I'm still convinced Lynch spread out the initially reported 9 episodes over 18 once Showtime gave him full creative control, so I know what you mean.

I'm still invested and plenty of times excited and entertained. But tight, well-honed film making this aint.

When it good it's so close to greatness at times that it's almost painful. Painful because those scenes are in amidst some of the most frustrating structural editing in memory.

The first two reasons had a large cast and many storylines, but there was a far clearer distinction who the main characters were and what the main story arcs were. Here it's really anyone's guess.

It really doesnt help that characters disappear for weeks, only to re-appear for a bit. This show NEEDS a killer final 2 episodes. 

I'm still extremely excited for any new episode. There have been some sloggish segments (mainly the much-mentioned comic stuff that has suffered under the absence of Badalamenti, the endless Dougie Jones antics etc.), but there's still so much classic Lynch in each and every episode that I'm still as hooked as ever.

Just double-featured 10 and 11.

Bummed to see Matthew Lillard go because I like him so much, but I guess his character served its narrative purpose.

The FBI/Diane grouping is probably my favorite thing going on right now - and especially now that we know Diane is suspicious.

interesting that Gordon had a vision of Laura.  Seems that South Dakota will be wrapped up soon.  Assuming that some roads will converge - the dead woman's arm coordinates will lead the FBI, Diane, and Mr. C to the same place that Hawk/Truman/Bobby are going.

The Bobby/Shelly/kid stuff is also pretty good.  This feels the most like OG Twin Peaks, in the best ways.  Bobby as cop and father is a real stand-out.

Richard Horne is menacing as heck.  Enjoying seeing his unhinged rampage across town.  Guess it's confirmed that Audrey is his mom at this point.  Dad = Mr. C?

Shelly's daughter's husband is stepping out on her with Gersten Hayward from season 2 - the piano playing Hayward daughter. Confirmed in the credits.

While I'm enjoying the whole journey, I'd be lying if I wasn't frustrated about a complete lack of "proper" Agent Cooper 11/18 of the way through the series.  The story itself is fine, but I'm feeling a little dispirited that my most exciting Twin Peaks season 3 prospect is a vegetable for the majority of the series.

Cooper is coming back more and more though! His "damn good" line in regards to the pie was of course exciting in episode 11's final moments. And loved the piano music during that same scene, too!

5 hours ago, scallenger said:

Cooper is coming back more and more though! His "damn good" line in regards to the pie was of course exciting in episode 11's final moments. And loved the piano music during that same scene, too!

Yeah, but a missed opportunity to not have Angelo by the piano!

I've slowly come to terms with the fact that I might just not see the old Dale Cooper back.

7 hours ago, mstrox said:

Forgot to mention that I loved the Rebekeh Del Rio song from the end of episode 10

Oh yes, definitely. Closest we've been to Julee Cruise and the classic Badalamenti TP song style so far.

Lots of interesting stuff in ep 11.

Perhaps Candie is in a similar state as Coop? 

Finally a full Twin Peaks scene with Shelly and Bobby. Pretty damn good.

The scene in Buckhorn with the FBI guys investigating the site of the portal was outstanding. I thought Gordon was gonna be sucked in for sure. 

The scene with the shooting in the car and the weird mummy was good too. There's some decent suspense in this episode.

And Coop finally got to eat some cherry pie. But yeah, i wonder if he will ever really be back.

What for? 

The whole purpose behind season 3 seems to be to play out and close the book on everything related to the Black/White lodge and it's mystery. After that I don't see much point of going on. Lynch and Frost certainly havent given me any reason to be invested in anything else on the show, so far.

2 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Perhaps Candie is in a similar state as Coop? 

Laura Palmer hasn't been seen since she got sucked out of the Black Lodge. Maybe she's lost inside Candie somewhere ;)

Loved episode 11, great balance of all the elements that have made this season good so far. Loved the piano music in the restaurant as well

I'm not particularly enjoying this show but episode 8 was mint. In fact it might be the most striking thing he's ever done. Might actually carry on watching.

Karol