TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Part 12.  Loved all of the Sarah Palmer stuff, all of the Ben Horne stuff, all of the Gordon/Albert/Tammy/Diane stuff (especially the scene in Gordon's hotel room with his friend), the whole assassination/Wendy's trip thing.  Loved the ten seconds of Dougie/Cooper that we got.

The Audrey thing lost me originally, although I do like it better in hindsight and hopefully there will be good pay-off with that character.  The characters rattling off like five new characters' names, etc - my head was swimming.  Not helped by the three additional new characters at the roadhouse shortly after.

My sister had a recent head injury, and as much as she loved old Twin Peaks, she was already thinking about quitting this, because keeping track of so many new characters was very confusing and draining for her.  Can't imagine how she's going to feel when she watches the last 15 minutes of this part.

OK just watched the latest episode last night.

I still like the show, but they are really stretching some scenes out just because.

It truly feels like they had a 10 hour show that got stretched to 18 artificially, not something that was conceived from the start to be exactly like this.

And the lack of music in many of these extended scenes make them feel even longer than they actually are.

Also, it's kind of strange that we are now 2/3 of the way through the story, yet they are still introducing brand new characters.  Almost every plotline the show has doesn't really advance week to week, there's very little forward momentum with the show.

I loved how this week we got exactly 1 scene with Kyle MacLachlan, and it was dialogue free and just Dougie's kid through a ball at Coop :lol:

I thought it was kind of weird in this latest ep that they didn't seem to know about any of the Las Vegas stuff until Evil Coop texted Diane about it.  They knew about New York and Dakota, etc

As far and I remember, Cole and Albert's only clue to Las Vegas was Dougie's inscribed ring, found in Major Briggs' stomach.  Not a lot to go on, although Dougie and Janey-E are pretty unique names.

The staging of the Audrey scene is so strange - over 10 minutes long, and neither of the actors move!  I'm convinced that the Audrey story will acquit itself in time.

I'm convinced now, as more and more characters pop in and still haven't reappeared, that the Roadhouse scenes are mostly just slice-of-life Twin Peaks stuff and won't be super relevant to any storylines going forward (barring the introduction of Richard Horne early on, and hopefully James Hurley will get something to do).  A shame, too, especially in the case of Jane Levy, who has been great in everything I've seen her in.

I didn't like at all that they turned Audrey from one of the most intersting and alluring characters in the original run, to a cheating shrew who yells at her husband in a really mean way in this show.  Might as well not even be the same character they were so different.  Why write her that she ended up in a shit marriage with a shit son, and she cheats on her husband and tells him about it; She deserved a happy ending.  Oh well.

Well, episode 18 is entitled "What is your name?", so I think we know where it's heading as far as good Coop is concerned. Unless it's wildly unpredictable.

50 minutes ago, Jay said:

Also, it's kind of strange that we are now 2/3 of the way through the story, yet they are still introducing brand new characters.  Almost every plotline the show has doesn't really advance week to week, there's very little forward momentum with the show.

I've stopped concerning myself with extremely minor new characters now, because I've concluded that they're deliberately inserted flotsam and will be literally useless in the scheme of the bigger story. The couple of girls in the bar at the end of this week's episode? Fruitless. The couple of different girls in the bar in an episode previously (one had a rash)? Useless. 

I successfully fast-fowarded the entire Road House scene this week, and it had zero impact on the experience other than the fact it saved me time.

Yea, the early episodes are great, get you hooked.

After that, things really slow down, the pacing of individual scenes as well as entire episodes become an issue

Just had a random thought. Was the most recent episode completely devoid of supernatural elements? 

In recent weeks we've had life-restoring hobos, space bugs, sky vortexes, black lodge visions, etc. But I don't think there was any of that this week? 

Great episode, as always. Transfixed from start to finish, and absolutely adoring the fact that Lynch is -- once again -- experimenting with our relationship to screen time. I have to admit, though -- as much as I enjoy Lynch's preference for long, awkward silences -- the scene where Hawk drives up to Sarah Palmer's house and the old, ominous, two-chord TWIN PEAKS music reappears, gave me the chills. Makes me think he could be a LITTLE more forthcoming with similar 'fan service'. But on the other hand, I really respect that he's not. 

By the way, I recently purchased Johnny Jewel's WINDSWEPT album, and enjoying it tremendously. Anyone else gotten this yet?

https://i.scdn.co/image/05ee50ebd0d139526a62982faef163330fe6e8b7

What do you think about his replaying of Jackoby's rant scene from a couple of episode back, Thor? For me that has been the sloppiest part of The Return so far. If I see that character booting up his streaming kit again I'll reach for the fast-foward button.

Not a fan of the Jacoby segments, no. And what a waste to have only those brief glimpses of Nadine in front of the screen every other week.

5 minutes ago, Thor said:

Not a fan of the Jacoby segments, no. And what a waste to have only those brief glimpses of Nadine in front of the screen every other week.

:up:

3 hours ago, Thor said:

Great episode, as always. Transfixed from start to finish, and absolutely adoring the fact that Lynch is -- once again -- experimenting with our relationship to screen time. I have to admit, though -- as much as I enjoy Lynch's preference for long, awkward silences -- the scene where Hawk drives up to Sarah Palmer's house and the old, ominous, two-chord TWIN PEAKS music reappears, gave me the chills. Makes me think he could be a LITTLE more forthcoming with similar 'fan service'. But on the other hand, I really respect that he's not. 

By the way, I recently purchased Johnny Jewel's WINDSWEPT album, and enjoying it tremendously. Anyone else gotten this yet?

https://i.scdn.co/image/05ee50ebd0d139526a62982faef163330fe6e8b7

I did!  I thought it was great, both score and songs.  When I picked it up, it was shortly after the Cooper/statue scene, so I didn't know we'd be hearing more on the show. I think there have actually been three or four pieces from Windswept on TP now.

I bought the disc, and it came in a custom envelope, along with a sampler CD and a big, nice poster for Windswept.  Not bad for $3 plus shipping! http://italiansdoitbetter.bigcartel.com/product/johnny-jewel-windswept-cd

I also liked the two Au Revoir Simone Roadhouse performances enough to buy that CD, and wasn't disappointed with the overall album either. https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Music-Au-Revoir-Simone/dp/B000OONPHW/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501855188&sr=8-1&keywords=au+revoir+simone

I've really been putting off watching the latest episode. 

What are the chances that we'll get something as glorious as E8 again?

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I also liked the two Au Revoir Simone Roadhouse performances enough to buy that CD, and wasn't disappointed with the overall album either. https://www.amazon.com/Bird-Music-Au-Revoir-Simone/dp/B000OONPHW/ref=sr_1_1_twi_aud_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1501855188&sr=8-1&keywords=au+revoir+simone

Good to hear that. I've been thinking about picking that up after hearing them on TP.

3 minutes ago, Marian Schedenig said:

Good to hear that. I've been thinking about picking that up after hearing them on TP.

Amazon, iTunes, etc have been updating the tracklist for the Twin Peaks soundtracks as the episodes go, and the second Au Revoir Simone song (A Violent Yet Flammable World) didn't get added - and I really liked that one, so I picked it up.  Well worth it.

Most of the songs, I'm waiting until the TP soundtracks come out.

24 minutes ago, KK said:

I've really been putting off watching the latest episode. 

What are the chances that we'll get something as glorious as E8 again?

It's come to something that I didn't even bother to mention a major event in the latest episode when I posted my standard weekly reactions in the thread afterwards. And that was one of the episode's highlights!

Who are they? I think I've seen the one on the right before, as several British shows get aired on Norwegian TV. FATHER TED or something, is it?

They actually spent a good portion of the episode in full exposition mode - repeating things we've already long known about! T'was easily the dumbest and sloppiest instalment so far in that regard.

There's a working theory at the moment that Cooper will return to himself in episode 14 or 15, probably 15. Observant fans on Reddit have worked out that there's seemingly some correlation between the strange numbers on the machine seen before Coop re-entered our world via the electric socket and a conversation about time between the Mitchum Brothers. Which if true would still leave at least 4 hours to have good Coop back to himself for us to enjoy ;)

Incidentally, here's the schedule for the remaining third of The Return

9/3/17 (Su.)    8:00 PM    SHOWTIME    (#117/118) The Return, Parts 17 & 18
8/27/17 (Su.)    8:00 PM    SHOWTIME    (#116) The Return, Part 16
8/20/17 (Su.)    8:00 PM    SHOWTIME    (#115) The Return, Part 15
8/13/17 (Su.)    8:00 PM    SHOWTIME    (#114) The Return, Part 14
8/6/17 (Su.)    8:00 PM    SHOWTIME    (#113) The Return, Part 13

Episode 13 was certainly a step up from last weeks. mainly because some excellent stuff with Mr. C. 

The arm wrestling scene was great. And the little interragation with Ray seems like it might put Mr. C on route to Twin Peaks soon.

Quite a lot of Dougie jones  stuff. It struck me that while this is generally regarded as the least interesting story. It boats the most impressive cast. McLachlan, Watts, Belushi, Knepper, Sizemore, Kneppler and now John Savage shows up.

The stuff with Sizemore was good actually.

Some decent Twin Peaks stuff too. We finally see Big Ed, lonely and miserable as ever. And Nadine has a doe-eyed encounter with Dr. amp. Ed is still wearing a wedding band btw. So I guess he's still with Nadine.

A decent but slow scene with Norma and let latest moonching boyfriend. Has Peggy Lipton gotten up from that table yet?

More Audrey Horne and her husband. Some slightly puzzling dialogue. I actually do feel sorry for Fenn having to recreate a character she did 25 years ago with really very little to do.

Sarah Palmer was watching TV and boozing again...

Some really strong and interesting stuff. Like the appearance of Richard Horne at an unexpected location. And lots and lots of random filler.

James Hurley sang and the club!

What was that paper Ed was burning?

5 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Tonight's Roadhouse music!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quintus will be sure to buy the inevitable Twin Tunes: Songs From The Roadhouse album release now!