TWIN PEAKS

Romão

OMG, that totally reminds me!

I was listening to a podcast (Doug Loves Movies), and the guy who played that "big guy with the laugh" cop was a guest and he talked about filming the show and how Lynch directed the actors, etc.  It was pretty interesting, I meant to post about it at the time.  I'll see if I can find the episode again and re-listen.

I'd recommend the oral history, "Reflections," which combines archival interviews with new cast/crew interviews to tell the story of making Twin Peaks.  Like with all oral histories, the point of view is constrained by the POV of people who were willing to give interviews, and the lack of POV of people who weren't (Lynch, obviously).

But the gist I got from that book, if I remember correctly - it's been a while - is that Lynch was all-in on the pilot movie, took more of an overseer position on season 1 due to Wild at Heart, reengaged with the show at the beginning of season 2, lost interest at the beginning of S2, especially with the killer reveal, took more of a backseat, and came back to direct the finale.  The writers/directors who were interviewed for the book seemed to think that Lynch lost interest in S2 because of the network's demands (re: the killer reveal) and due to a lack of creative control on the project (i.e. due to the show's schedule and crew, a lot of it was pinned down by other writers and directors within Lynch's and Frost's guidance and style specifications) and he didn't feel like he was being heard/utilized in full.

Of the original series, "super Nadine" was easily my least favoured character and subplot. I got through it okay enough on my first run, but in last year's rewatch it was a total slog. OG Twin Peaks lowest point. 

32 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Of the original series, "super Nadine" was easily my least favoured character and subplot. I got through it okay enough on my first run, but in last year's rewatch it was a total slog. OG Twin Peaks lowest point. 

Worse than James and Evelyn? Surely not?

I think that the goofier stuff, including that, works primarily because it offsets the more disturbing stuff.  I certainly wouldn't watch a show dedicated in full to Nadine Super-Teen, but the tonal variety of it helps the horror "pop" and often come on unexpectedly.

On 1/11/2018 at 11:15 AM, mstrox said:

I'd recommend the oral history, "Reflections," which combines archival interviews with new cast/crew interviews to tell the story of making Twin Peaks.  Like with all oral histories, the point of view is constrained by the POV of people who were willing to give interviews, and the lack of POV of people who weren't (Lynch, obviously).

But the gist I got from that book, if I remember correctly - it's been a while - is that Lynch was all-in on the pilot movie, took more of an overseer position on season 1 due to Wild at Heart, reengaged with the show at the beginning of season 2, lost interest at the beginning of S2, especially with the killer reveal, took more of a backseat, and came back to direct the finale.  The writers/directors who were interviewed for the book seemed to think that Lynch lost interest in S2 because of the network's demands (re: the killer reveal) and due to a lack of creative control on the project (i.e. due to the show's schedule and crew, a lot of it was pinned down by other writers and directors within Lynch's and Frost's guidance and style specifications) and he didn't feel like he was being heard/utilized in full.

This is why I have no interest in watching the new series. It's like how fanboys claim that franchises improve when their creators have a more limited or no role. For instance, George Lucas and Star Wars and Gene Roddenberry in the case of Star Trek. I like the original Twin Peaks, but Lynch ultimately had little to do with it. So now we have 18 hours of Lynch going full Lynch and I'm just not sure I could handle it.

If you like or love Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and/or Inland Empire, Twin Peaks s3 is for you.

If you like or love the original Twin Peaks series but don't care for FWWM as much, or dislike Lynch's later period works, this is not for you.  In season 3, the moments of humor and warmth similar to those that filled the original series, I could probably count on one hand.

If you like/love em all (like I do, for different reasons), enjoy - but go in with your expectations aligned as above.

25 minutes ago, mstrox said:

If you like or love Lost Highway, Mulholland Drive, and/or Inland Empire, Twin Peaks s3 is for you.

If you like or love the original Twin Peaks series but don't care for FWWM as much, or dislike Lynch's later period works, this is not for you.  In season 3, the moments of humor and warmth similar to those that filled the original series, I could probably count on one hand.

If you like/love em all (like I do, for different reasons), enjoy - but go in with your expectations aligned as above.

Very well put.

I'm like you. I like it all. Even DUNE.

Drax what did you think of how they wrote around the Sheriff Truman actor not wanting to be a part of The Return?

8 hours ago, Jay said:

Drax what did you think of how they wrote around the Sheriff Truman actor not wanting to be a part of The Return?

It's a bit a disappointment that Harry opted out of the new series, but he was never really a favourite of mine anyway. I didn't mind his brother.

Just addressing what mstrox said about the goofier stuff, I'd say pretty much all the stuff with Lobotomised Cooper and anything with the Mitcham brothers was relatively lighthearted in its own way.

Agreed - there’s plenty of lighthearted stuf, but the only things I can think of that really captured that “Twin Peaks” feeling of melodramatic joy (for me) may have been Ed/Norma’s last scene, and a few of the things with Bobby discovering his father’s trail. 

That’s not a failure of Lynch’s efforts - he clearly wasn’t too interested in that old feel.

58 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Dougie: TVs worst character of 2017 ;)

Don't know about that. He had his moments. But yeah -- stretched over far too long. When all is said and done, that is probably my only main contention with the otherwise brilliant show.

Oh you would LOVE logposting. I was in the group for a while early on into The Return, I introduced it to Steef, before I began to find the Lynch worship there to be truly insufferable and so I removed myself. 

Reminds me of the Poltergeist Facebook groups I used to be a member of. I had to leave them all because the Heather O'Rourke worship was infuriating.

Instead I opted to watch Princess O'Rourke with Olivia de Havilland just for her bathtub scene.

Unfortunately the vast majority of the best music was left off the early CD releases. At one time or another though, all of the music used in the show has been made available for free, via Lynch's own website. 

I'm not familiar with Badalamenti at all, what kind of music is it?

I had Blue Velvet at one stage, but sold it off after a few years. Never got around to listening to it.