TWIN PEAKS

Romão

21 hours ago, mstrox said:

I think that overall, Twin Peaks: The Return was an awful continuation of the series Twin Peaks, but a really intriguing piece of longform filmmaking.  It's not unimpeachable - and I've made it clear in previous posts the things that I've most strongly disliked about it - but I think it's a worthwhile and challenging watch.

Pretty close to how I feel

2 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Hey I was looking this show up and found that Lynch acts in it! How do his acting skills stack up?

It plays like a vanity thing. He flirts with a hot broad and she serves him pie and coffee.

6 hours ago, The Doctor said:

It plays like a vanity thing. He flirts with a hot broad and she serves him pie and coffee.

Not where it counts!

what a weird phrase for Lynch to say

Lynch acquitted himself very well, I think - better than he did in the same role on the original series, which is good since he had a larger part (where it counts) this time around.

I agree - Lynch isn't very good generally, but as a character who, by design, screams everything awkwardly, he works.

I do think he did some good face acting in that weird hotel room scene with the French woman and Albert.

Ferrer, of course, could act Lynch out of the room - as well as most of the other actors from the show.

One real stand-out for me was Sheryl Lee, who I think did some amazing things in 17-18 (regardless of what you think about 18, I hope we can agree that her acting there was superb).  Underutilized in The Return (and underutilized in her career, honestly - she is really good).

Mark Frost's second Twin Peaks book, "The Final Dossier," comes out tomorrow.  I thought his first one, pre-"The Return," was pretty good, although it was pretty tangential to the town and characters we know and love.  I'm thinking the Final Dossier, as a post-Return release, may help to fill in the gaps between TPS2 and The Return.

5 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Not a huge fan of having to look for other media than a TV show to fill in blanks though. 

Totally agree

The blanks I'm looking for wouldn't necessarily be plot blanks from The Return (i.e. the endings to all of those unfinished or open-ended stories), but more world-building character-based stuff that wouldn't have made sense to include in The Return.  What happened to Leo?  Annie?  Catherine Martell?  Donna?  Why did Shelly and Bobby not end up working out?  How did Bobby end up as a deputy?  More background about Lucy/Andy/Stupid Wally.  More info about Harry Truman and his brother, maybe.  Little things like that.  Kind of like how the prior book cleaned up plot points about Hank (killed by a Renault in prison), Pete Martell (died saving Audrey).

Stuff that wouldn't have made sense to include 25 years later (without making some real clunky dialogue).

I wouldn't expect any clarity on the Audrey situation, except for maybe the alluded truths re: Richard made explicit.

If it's not in the show/movie/game it's immaterial to me. A different medium to Twin Peaks, but I play a lot of Destiny, and that game is useless for having the vast majority of its lore available only in external literature, not accessible in the game. It's why I pay zero attention to the fiction of its universe - even though others seem to consider it to be some sort of amazing science fiction tome of the modern age, absolutely delighted to go out of their way to consume everything about it. But I just couldn't be arsed. 

I haven't read more than the first two pages due to time at this point, but it looks like it promises what I figured:

From Agent Tammy’s intro to Gordon:

1E4E67FC-AC5A-42D5-9342-73D33D3E78AE.png

No word on whether this is written by Agent Preston pre-The Return or post-The Return (if post-, she'd have a lot more insight regarding Twin Peaks citizens, Blue Rose, Major Briggs, Agent Cooper, etc).

I'll also add that neither of Frost's books are considered "canon" by Lynch - he has said in interviews that "Mark has his view of Twin Peaks, and I have mine."

Also: here is some info about Twin Peaks The Return from Mark Frost at a recent panel discussion.  Some interesting stuff here.

Update: I’m a third of the way through the book, and it’s super-duper fan-servicey.  Almost to a fault.  

The book serves to complete the loop for all characters both major and minor.  It’s written from the POV of Tammy Preston POST-return, meaning she is aware of Blue Rose stuff and the events in the police station in episode 17.

So far it has resolved the Leo Johnson cliffhanger from the S2 finale, filled in all of the details on the entirety of the lives of the Haywards (including Donna and Gersten who appeared in The Return), answered the Donna’s parentage cliffhanger from S2, filled in everything about the Hornes (INCLUDING AUDREY AND HER SITUATION), and filled in everything about Norma’s family (including Annie!, and also including the minor mother character from season 2 and her paramour).

it’s a big old info-dump. It’s hard to say how it’ll all pull together.  For as much as it left me wanting for Twin Peaks info, Frost’s previous book was clearly a labor of love and steeped in the mythology of the Northwest and the supernatural. At this point, the second book almost seems more like a Wikipedia entry than an actual novel.

4 hours ago, mstrox said:

Update: I’m a third of the way through the book, and it’s super-duper fan-servicey.  Almost to a fault.  

The book serves to complete the loop for all characters both major and minor.  It’s written from the POV of Tammy Preston POST-return, meaning she is aware of Blue Rose stuff and the events in the police station in episode 17.

So far it has resolved the Leo Johnson cliffhanger from the S2 finale, filled in all of the details on the entirety of the lives of the Haywards (including Donna and Gersten who appeared in The Return), answered the Donna’s parentage cliffhanger from S2, filled in everything about the Hornes (INCLUDING AUDREY AND HER SITUATION), and filled in everything about Norma’s family (including Annie!, and also including the minor mother character from season 2 and her paramour).

it’s a big old info-dump. It’s hard to say how it’ll all pull together.  For as much as it left me wanting for Twin Peaks info, Frost’s previous book was clearly a labor of love and steeped in the mythology of the Northwest and the supernatural. At this point, the second book almost seems more like a Wikipedia entry than an actual novel.

On the one hand, all of that sounds cool and appeals to the TWIN PEAKS fan in me who wants all the narrative lines mapped out, like a math piece. And to be presented more of the universe explictly.

Fortunately, the more reasonable person in me appreciates open-ended art more, and thus prefers what we're presented in RETURN. Art is not a math piece that needs to "go up" all the time, and I'm thankful for all the openings and interpretations the series allow me to make on my own.

45 minutes ago, Quintus said:

Nothing. Just watch it.

Yeah but where do I start? The series or the movie? I've heard the movie was made after the show but it's set before the show. So I need to know these things.

10 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You could already change your screenname to Audrey Horne.

I already have a few lined up, but I might be content for a while longer as an insane Hollywood vaudeville has-been who imprisons her sister and feeds her dead birds and rats.

Just now, BloodBoal said:

Watch it in the order it was released: Season 1, then Season 2, then the film, then The Return.

End of story. No more excuses. Start now.

I can't start until I receive it in the post.

And what's The Return? I didn't include that in my order.

Seems like a sensible idea, but the new one is so different that even if you dont like the first 2 seasons you may love the third, or vice versa.

I've personally recommended season 3 to someone who stopped watching the first season because the melodrama was a turn-off.

In the spirit of Doofus Star Wars Fans, watch it in "Machete Order" - watch the season 2 episodes about Forehead James and Evelyn first, and then Fire Walk With Me, and then The Return, and then the season 2 finale, and then season 1.  Don't bother with the first half of season 2.

4 hours ago, Quintus said:

Watch it all in reverse while reflected in the mirror. It'll synch up perfectly with the entirety of season 3. If you're a insufferable fucking muppet, that is.

You didnt try it so you cant judge!

So I finished the book - it's a breezy 150 pages, after all.  The middle section goes into the aftermath of S2 and up to "modern" times - Annie's life, Windom Earle and Cooper's history, the reasons Ed and Norma stayed apart, what happened to James and Dr. Jacoby and the Log Lady, Sheriff Truman, and a few others.

No mention of Catherine Martell, so I guess the brief sentence in the previous book about Pete's death was all there is to it.

The last third of the book or so touches on the events of the Return and delves into dissecting the mythology of it.  Trying to understand the Major Briggs mystery, which tied in with the South Dakota stuff.  Tracing the steps of Cooper's double in the ensuing years, (somewhat) clarifying his connection to the box in New York and the crime syndicate in Las Vegas, among others.  Some stuff about their experience with Diane, about Philip Jeffries, about Coop's reappearance.  Some of the stuff about "Judy"/the monster photographed in the New York box which was pretty bluntly explained in part 15 or 16, but made a little more clear here.  It lays out a few theories for why The Double (as she calls bad Coop) wanted the coordinates to the Giant's lair, and wanted Judy - which I'll accept as true character motivations, since Frost wrote the book.

The last few pages get into the Palmer family, and during that research

Spoiler

Preston finds information that Laura merely "disappeared" in 1989 (consistent with the changes Cooper made in the timeline) and the aftermath of that event on the town, and the fogginess in everyone's head 25 years later that now clouds the events

.  The book confirms the (widely accepted after the events later in The Return) fan theory that 

Spoiler

Sarah Palmer was the girl in episode 8 with the frog bug thing.

No mention of the Joneses or any of the Las Vegas crew.  No mention of any of the events of episode 18, as I would expect.  No mention of the weird Roadhouse one-off characters, Billy, etc etc.

Since the book is basically a fact dump, I am willing to answer all of your Twin Peaks questions.  I am an expert now!