TWIN PEAKS

Romão

17 hours ago, Jay said:

So would prefer like to finally see Diane in the new followup, or would you prefer if we never saw her ever?

Until the other day I've thought of Diane as literally the name of his voice recorder. 

You didn't pay enough attention to the show then, Quint.  She was clearly his secretary back at the office and did things for him, sent him items, etc.

21 hours ago, Jay said:

So would prefer like to finally see Diane in the new followup, or would you prefer if we never saw her ever?

I've been wondering that myself, and I really don't know.

10 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Curious what that will look like if each episode doesn't have a self-contained and designed flow.  That could be an interesting approach if this was being done with the idea of binge watching in mind, rather than a prolonged weekly viewing over a period of months.  Since that's probably not the case, then I hope Lynch knows what he's doing!

It wouldn't be the first series to present a long narrative without self-contained episodes, but still on a weekly basis. 24 would be a season length example, obviously. More strikingly, the early seasons (the first one and a half or so, as far as I remember) of Alias did present separate "cases", but they didn't match the actual episodes. Instead, an episode would start in the middle of last week's story and then at some point start a new one and leave it hanging until next week.

1 hour ago, Marian Schedenig said:

11 hours ago, nightscape94 said:

Curious what that will look like if each episode doesn't have a self-contained and designed flow.  That could be an interesting approach if this was being done with the idea of binge watching in mind, rather than a prolonged weekly viewing over a period of months.  Since that's probably not the case, then I hope Lynch knows what he's doing!

It wouldn't be the first series to present a long narrative without self-contained episodes, but still on a weekly basis. 24 would be a season length example, obviously. More strikingly, the early seasons (the first one and a half or so, as far as I remember) of Alias did present separate "cases", but they didn't match the actual episodes. Instead, an episode would start in the middle of last week's story and then at some point start a new one and leave it hanging until next week.

I'm not speaking specifically about a season arc or mythology or shows with a "big bad".  24 still had what you would consider a flow within the episode itself and self contained climaxes, etc, what you would truly call an "episode".  This article about Twin Peaks makes it sound like he's shooting a 10 hour film and just slicing it into segments.

24 was so long ago, but did every episode really have its own "sub arch"? Perhaps. But my other example, Alias, really subverted that whole concept by starting and ending each episode right in the middle of something. It was unusual, but it worked (though perhaps not for everyone... they did stop doing that after a while, at some point in the second season I believe).

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

What's Better Call Saul? 10? The Walking Dead is about 16 with a break. I like mid season breaks and much prefer them to a single run and then another year of waiting. 

Game of Thrones has an interminable wait. Without HBO, I can burn through ten episodes on disc in three or four evenings, then it's 51 weeks until the next season. 

I still don't know why there can't be 18 eppies in renaissance TV show. Maybe there aren't any examples but that doesn't explain it.

If that is true then the new Twin Peaks is not going to be outstanding!

They made one season but suddenly they decided it's probably better to spread them over two seasons. 

47 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

You can't produce outstanding quality when you have to produce 22 to 26 episodes a year. 

Probably true or at least extremely difficult. Season 2 of Twin Peaks was plain bad for a while and even season 1 wasn't flawless. Of course, sum of parts being what they are none of this had any effect on its legendary status as a TV show icon. 

I definitely prefer smaller and tighter. 

Considering the end result ended up being double what was originally thought, it makes me feel that Lynch and Frost had a very specific design in mind, and we needn't worry.

• 2 weeks later...