TWIN PEAKS

Romão

Not great, BOB!

Annie

Spoiler

ended up in a catatonic state and, after Norma could no longer take care of her, was institutionalized.  She leads a peaceful life under close suicide watch provisions, given her history.  The only time she has spoken since the events of S2: every year, at the same time and day that she was found in the woods, she says, "I'm fine."  Kind of Frost's writerly response to Doppelcooper's "How's Annie," I suppose.

33 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Hide contents

ended up in a catatonic state and, after Norma could no longer take care of her, was institutionalized.  She leads a peaceful life under close suicide watch provisions, given her history.  The only time she has spoken since the events of S3: every year, at the same time and day that she was found in the woods, she says, "I'm fine." 

The more, erm, "tedious" parts of season 3 can do this to a person. I'm still having suicidal boredom flashbacks after Dr. Jacoby's scenes.

The chapter in this new book about Dr. Jacoby is kind of the same way - it goes through his various businesses, touring with the Grateful Dead, etc after having his license revoked in the aftermath of Laura Palmer's case and leads up to his Dr. Amp days, explains the golden shovel thing, and ends around his storyline in the show (it plays coy about whether he and Nadine ended up romantically involved - one of the only things the book DOES play coy about!)

One of the weird things about this book as an in-universe document:  why Tammy Preston would need to report to Gordon Cole about Dr. Jacoby's whereabouts over 25 years, I do not know.  He was never anything but tangentially involved with Laura's case, and never had a run-in with Cole if I recall correctly. 

If you just accept it as the framework of a fanboy's Twin Peaks dream, it works, but the thought that Canon Gordon Cole is sitting at his desk really puzzling through pages about James Hurley's adventures post-season 2 gives me a chuckle.

I guess it depends on your ideal.  I'm sure David Lynch was 100% happy with The Return and would want nothing to do with Frost's detailed plotting (Lynch has said that he hasn't and won't read the books, and that they are purely Frost's vision of Twin Peaks; Frost says that much of the information in the new book came from discussions that he and Lynch had during the development, writing, and filming of The Return).

The first 2/3 of the book are basically backstory (or, I guess, middlestory).  A lot of that wouldn't have a place on any show set 25 years later (without shoehorning in a lot of terrible expository dialogue).  For instance, I don't think the show would have needed the additional background provided on the Hurleys, the Log Lady, Norma, Dr. Jacoby, etc.  However, I think some time could have been made to explain what happened to Annie.  It seems strange that Cooper would emerge from the Black Lodge 25 years later and, after eventually regaining his senses, have not a care in the world for Annie (the person who he entered the darkness to save).  You'd think that character would merit a sincere "How's Annie," at least.  Especially in light of the characterization of Cooper, in Peaks, The Return, and this book - his persistence at attempting to save women in trouble (Caroline, Annie, Laura) leading to not only their ruin, but his own.

The last third has a lot of small things that I think would have gone a long way toward making the series "make sense."  Small details about Audrey (although that stuff would have ruined her creepy Roadhouse scene and sublime last second reveal).  Just a tiny bit of the background on Shelly's kid, her boyfriend, and the Hayward daughter that he was sleeping around with, to make that subplot make more sense.  Maybe just a hair more to explain Mr. C's motivations (which are made quite clear in the book), Philip Jeffries' situation (which is only mildly clarified in the book, and obviously no mention of his teapot body), etc.  There were a lot of question marks that probably didn't need to be question marks at the end of it - I'm not saying some of the larger question marks, but just little things to make things make sense by the end of it all.

I'm sure it wasn't on Lynch's agenda.

• 1 month later...

Yeah, haw haw.

Anyway...

This film is oddly everything I expected the series to be, but what I got from that was a soap/paranormal/procedural hybrid. FWWM, however, is pure Lynch surrealism, but still easy to follow. And it has tits! So that's where I got the impression that the series was on the crudey side. It's a quasi-sequel/prequel to the end of the series, where time seems to operate on similar rules as the Nexus from Star Trek Generations.

So, what the hell happened to Annie? Is she just a messenger from the future now? If good!Dale is stuck in Black Lodge, then what rampage has evil!Dale been inflicting on the real world? What happened to Agents Chris Isaac and Keifer Sutherland? I can't remember Ronette Pulaski in the series claiming to see an angel before she escaped the train carriage - was this Lynch taking some creative liberty? (Of course it was) Wasn't Leo supposed to have a blue shirt with Jaques' blood on it, which was a major red herring in the pilot? Did Donna know Laura was a hooker in the series? I sure don't think so! What about the bird Waldo? We see it, but wasn't it supposed to have scratched Laura that night? And nothing was mentioned in the show about Bobby killing anyone. And the David Bowie stuff... eh?

I know I must be thinking too much about all this, but those sorts of inconsistencies do bother you when you're looking for answers, and this only raises more questions. Obviously if you watched this in isolation from the series, it's really a surreal horror film about a bratty high school girl who's terrorised by an ominous phantom menace that seeks to dominate her by threatening household tyranny through her nutty father. Nothing much is revealed about Bob, but he's really portrayed as a Freddy Krueger type figure.

As for Laura, it puts a new perspective on the series as to why everyone loved this broad so much. Gimme a break, other than a few bursts of intimately human moments, the girl was an unlikable bitchy bimbo. No loss to the town at all - which by the way looks oddly different to how it looked in the show. And yet the locations are supposedly all the same.

This thing reminds me of a 1940s film Cat People and its bizarre sequel Curse of the Cat People, where the first one had a straight forward story about a woman who morphs into a big cat whenever she's provoked. But then they made a supposed sequel starring all the same actors playing the same characters, but you'd think it was set in a different universe. Otherwise, the two films are unreleated as if for the sequel they appropriated another script lying around to cash in on the Cat People marquee.

Well, here goes for The Missing Pieces.

Everyone from the cast who didn't die (the actor I mean) comes back for season 3, and even some who did come back anyway through CGI. 

The only exception is the guy who played Sheriff Truman, that actor chose not to come back so they wrote around it.

3 minutes ago, Jay said:

Everyone from the cast who didn't die (the actor I mean) comes back for season 3, and even some who did come back anyway through CGI. 

The only exception is the guy who played Sheriff Truman, that actor chose not to come back so they wrote around it.

And

Spoiler

Donna, Josie, Catherine Martell, the Little Man from Another Place, and Annie

Upon some reflection on Twin Peaks as a whole, my view is probably not a popular one, but the primetime soap opera elements appealed to me a lot. I get a real kick out of shows like Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing where the production value is greater than that of a daytime soap - and those shows transport me back in time to when I was a kid and mum would be watching them and they just remind me of my parents' old living room at the time. But Twin Peaks puts a new spin on the soapie by introducing some crazy supernatural elements that help it transcend the run-of-the-mill TV show of its era.

Disappointingly of course some elements I liked received no satisfying resolution (even the Missing Pieces do nothing to rectify this). I would have loved for a third season to have aired in 1992 with Lynch at the helm to steer it along. But the new show will have to suffice, especially given Laura's "25 years" invitation.

I'll check back in this thread next month. Meanwhile, Inland Empire is on Netflix...

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I would have loved for a third season to have aired in 1992 with Lynch at the helm to steer it along. But the new show will have to suffice, especially given Laura's "25 years" invitation.

The third season is all Lynch and Frost. In fact, it's far more Lynch than the first two seasons. I'd be curious to see how you take it.

2 hours ago, KK said:

The third season is all Lynch and Frost. In fact, it's far more Lynch than the first two seasons. I'd be curious to see how you take it.

I'll probably watch FWWM again soon. There's a visceral beauty to it that resonates. I also noted the theological imagery that permeates like the angel in the picture and its reappearance at the end, which evokes the Lady in the Radiator and her relationship to Henry in Eraserhead. And of course Laura's self sacrifice by putting on the ring to prevent Bob possessing her, thereby protecting the rest of the town from potential future bloodshed at her own hand - something to add to the town's subsequent near-canonisation of her in the show.

Aside from his original underpinning of supernatural lore into the Twin Peaks universe, Frost was disappointingly nowhere to be "seen" in The Return. It's all Lynch really. I read an AMA with Frost a few weeks back and he was extremely vague in his answers, as if even he didn't really know what it was about. 

5 hours ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

Upon some reflection on Twin Peaks as a whole, my view is probably not a popular one, but the primetime soap opera elements appealed to me a lot. I get a real kick out of shows like Dallas, Dynasty and Knots Landing where the production value is greater than that of a daytime soap - and those shows transport me back in time to when I was a kid and mum would be watching them and they just remind me of my parents' old living room at the time. But Twin Peaks puts a new spin on the soapie by introducing some crazy supernatural elements that help it transcend the run-of-the-mill TV show of its era.

Also, that aspect of the series is also very much a SATIRE on the soap genre (manifested explicitly in the fake soap series that runs on TV with periodical intervals). TWIN PEAKS routinely plays with conventions of this kind.

1 hour ago, Baby Jane Hudson said:

I know it's satire, but I still liked it. I like soaps!

Me too. I grew up on them (esp. DYNASTY and FALCON CREST). Not that big a fan anymore, but I like it when they comment on the genre itself, playing around with conventions (not only of soaps, but also film noir, character types and whole host of other things).

Love how the "Invitation to Love" storylines are mirrored in the actual TWIN PEAKS storylines.