My Very First FSM topic!

I have not read any of the replies in this thread, nor do I feel like doing so and potentially responding to them. This is in response to KK at FSM, however, as the thread was locked before I could hit "submit post":

Stefan made ONE joke about it...a JOKE. You know, one of those crazy things people say to sound funny, but don't ever neccessarily mean it. But you overreacted.

Falsely accusing someone of being a pedo/molester/rapist/whatever is NOT funny. Making a joke about it is even worse. End of discussion.

All some JWFanners did were point out the needlessly detailed explanations of why you liked the show. You quoted articles, "scientific reports", all sorts of quotes from people all across the web. Why? If you like the show, GOOD! No one has a problem with it! But justify it with your OWN opinions. Express why YOU like the show, not why the show's creator thinks people like the show.

What?

Going in-depth and detailed about why I like something is a bad thing? You mean to tell me that message boards aren't for lengthy, insightful posts?

It's easier (and faster) to copy-and-paste other opinions that I agree with instead of writing my own, especially regarding a taboo subject that everyone is so quick to jump to negative conclusions at. And honestly, I have much better things to be doing than trying to show people whom I've never met nor whom I would ever care about conversing with otherwise why I like something. I never initiated the discussion about bronies over there.

But what did you do? You instead attacked others, made it seem like we were kind of obligated to watch the show, and ultimately just ended up shedding more light on your insecurity of your interests than your confident enjoyment of the show. It looked like you were ashamed of being a "brony" (whatever that means).

And yet, somehow, this is what you interpreted from all of my posts.

I'm not about forcing people to watch it, I'm about making people not post why it's bad or why the fandom is bad when they've obviously never watched it nor interacted with the fandom for any considerable amount of time. You can't say why you don't like something when you haven't even tried it out. And I'm neither insecure nor ashamed. But okay.

In the end, he started with a joke, you started attacking him, and that simply provoked it more. If you were smart, you would have just have passed it off and continued discussing why the show was great. Instead, you continued to reproach him. What did you expect? That he would suddenly beg for forgiveness? Come on man!

It would be nice if he did, but I'm not expecting him to, just as I'm not expecting everyone else who's wronged me in the past to apologize.

Not only Stefan, but you got Jason involved too. For what?! The guy never took sides and he always supported you in discussing the show, as a good mod would. But suddenly he's a "cyber-bully" now? How you came to that conclusion still baffles you.

Bear in mind that I said "accessory to cyber bullying" in the other thread, not actual cyber bullying. Meaning he was directly involved but remained neutral, and in my mind remaining neutral means you side with the bully by default.

I'll give you points for explaining why I'm an ass while being decent about it though, KK. That's respectable in my book. But "pedo" and "sexual predator" are still very serious remarks and not something I take lightly.

Bah! This is when I wish we had the old quoting system...

I have not read any of the replies in this thread, nor do I feel like doing so and potentially responding to them. This is in response to KK at FSM, however, as the thread was locked before I could hit "submit post":

Stefan made ONE joke about it...a JOKE. You know, one of those crazy things people say to sound funny, but don't ever neccessarily mean it. But you overreacted.

Falsely accusing someone of being a pedo/molester/rapist/whatever is NOT funny. Making a joke about it is even worse. End of discussion.

I only recall the pedo remark (not the molester/rapist stuff). JWFan has its own sense of humour, we all knew Stefan never meant it seriously, but I can see why you might. However, you should have approached in a more mature manner about it. Swearing and throwing insults back doesn't help your case mate.

All some JWFanners did were point out the needlessly detailed explanations of why you liked the show. You quoted articles, "scientific reports", all sorts of quotes from people all across the web. Why? If you like the show, GOOD! No one has a problem with it! But justify it with your OWN opinions. Express why YOU like the show, not why the show's creator thinks people like the show.

What?

Going in-depth and detailed about why I like something is a bad thing? You mean to tell me that message boards aren't for lengthy, insightful posts?

It's easier (and faster) to copy-and-paste other opinions that I agree with instead of writing my own, especially regarding a taboo subject that everyone is so quick to jump to negative conclusions at. And honestly, I have much better things to be doing than trying to show people whom I've never met nor whom I would ever care about conversing with otherwise why I like something. I never initiated the discussion about bronies over there.

But what did you do? You instead attacked others, made it seem like we were kind of obligated to watch the show, and ultimately just ended up shedding more light on your insecurity of your interests than your confident enjoyment of the show. It looked like you were ashamed of being a "brony" (whatever that means).

And yet, somehow, this is what you interpreted from all of my posts.

I'm not about forcing people to watch it, I'm about making people not post why it's bad or why the fandom is bad when they've obviously never watched it nor interacted with the fandom for any considerable amount of time. You can't say why you don't like something when you haven't even tried it out. And I'm neither insecure nor ashamed. But okay.

That's all well and good, but I think if you had explained why YOU liked it personally, instead of just copying and pasting links and stuff, people might have taken you seriously. And really, if people don't like the show or pass judgement on it (even without seeing it), it really shouldn't bother you. I mean we all listen to film music, a hobby that is considered very weird when compared to the norm. But who cares? When you find people who share common interests, discuss it with those guys. They're the ones who matter. Who cares about the guys who don't like the show? Tell them why you like the show, sure, but if they don't like it, then move on.

In the end, you've got to basically lighten up dude.

It's something called black humour. You either get it you don't.

And like any aspect of the human condition, paedophilia (or more precisely -- the culture of fear and ignorance that surrounds it) can be funny. See Brass Eye's 2001 Paedophilia special.

Going in-depth and detailed about why I like something is a bad thing?

No, so why didn't you do that, instead of citing press articles, studies and opinion pieces -- as if you were writing some goddamned thesis?

It's easier (and faster) to copy-and-paste other opinions that I agree with instead of writing my own, especially regarding a taboo subject that everyone is so quick to jump to negative conclusions at.

It might be the lazier option as you say, but it hinders discussion.

Well, I'm actually curious about what makes the music for this show so appreciated by some and I'd love to be shown some samples, but one or two (at most) clips at the time. Those long posts, while they might be informative, are just to overwhelming to skim over.

Steef is a great guy, with a very unique, sometimes insulting to some, but extremely funny sense of humor. You would never had taken it so personally had you know him on this MB for a longer time

Well, I'm actually curious about what makes the music for this show so appreciated by some and I'd love to be shown some samples,

Well, you love Lego, so you have been suspect for many many years now!!!

;)

I kid, i kid!

What a cringeworthy clusterfuck this is. I feel like I've unwittingly uncovered a dark side of the internet I didn't know about, one which doesn't even involve paedophiles.

And it's absolutely terrifying.

I hope my government's new online safety filtering protocols cover fanboys and nerds, because I need to protect my children from being exposed to such profound embarrassment.

And it's absolutely terrifying.

I hope my government's new online safety filtering protocols cover fanboys and nerds, because I need to protect my children from being exposed to such profound embarrassment.

In a few years from now......when your Issie wants to watch My Little Pony: Friendship Is Magic, which is fine, I'm sure it's a well made children's show.

But you will be thinking about this again. What good parent would not?

This shows you're not ready to be a player in the major leagues, Steef.

All kidding aside, Steef has accused me of being a pedophile on several occasions. And while these accusations don't particularly bring me joy, it's not so terrible either. Why? I know the truth and that's all that matters.

It's only the internet, folks!

Alex

All kidding aside, Steef has accused me of being a pedophile on several occasions. And while these accusations don't particularly bring me joy, it's not so terrible either. Why? I know the truth and that's all that matters.

Alex

You have a creepy habit of taking pictures of people, including children who are NOT looking at the camera. I certainly hope you ask permission before doing that. But if I was a parent and saw some middle ages guy with a camera or camera phone taking snaps of my kids, I would find that suspicious.

Not only Stefan, but you got Jason involved too. For what?! The guy never took sides and he always supported you in discussing the show, as a good mod would. But suddenly he's a "cyber-bully" now? How you came to that conclusion still baffles you.

Bear in mind that I said "accessory to cyber bullying" in the other thread, not actual cyber bullying. Meaning he was directly involved but remained neutral, and in my mind remaining neutral means you side with the bully by default.

So, being neutral means that you side with someone? The Swiss bastards! They fooled us all right!

Basil's behavior is an indication of paranoia.

The interesting thing is that he hates being bullied, or so he claims, and then goes to FSM and attempts to do the same thing with me. Even copying the style I used when I was writing about him.

The thing that Basil doesnt seem to understand is that no one is really on his side here. Which is telling. I have a very sharp sense of humor, nd over the years I have certainly gone too far. And people here, and sometimes on FSM have told me off about it. It's not uncommon for me to come across like the asshole during an internet flame war with someone (apart from my arguments with Quint, where I was morally justified every single time!!!)

This time, there's been a lot of reactions regarding this "feud", and not a single person has said that I was being a dick again and what I did was wrong.

Alex

You have a creepy habit of taking pictures of people, including children who are NOT looking at the camera. I certainly hope you ask permission before doing that. But if I was a parent and saw some middle ages guy with a camera or camera phone taking snaps of my kids, I would find that suspicious.

Wow! A creepy habit?! You are creating your own truths here. First of all, I very rarely take pictures of people, let alone children (I'm afraid to do so). Secondly, I find it sad how paranoid we all have become. Yes, you too, Steef. Anyone who even looks at a child is a possible pedophile. We don't even talk to other people on the street. There's something wrong with our western society. For Pete's sake, we don't even allow people to like My Little Pony!

And I like to take candid photos, so no, I don't go looking for the parents and kill the moment.

Alex

Oh I absolutely agree, these are paranoid times.

If I go to the beach, I'm quite careful about where I take pictures. I guess we can never return to those innocent times.

Now to be honest, does anyone really have a problem about "grown-ups' watching MLP? In general, no. Of-course not. It's the same as the Spongebob hype from a few years ago. Lots of parents watch this stuff with their children and actually find its well made, and that there is something for them to enjoy too. Which is an important factor for family entertainment. And one of the reasons Pixar became popular.

What i do find disturbing is excessive fan obsessions, like what basil has displayed, and many other Bronies.

It goes beyond what I would consider healthy, especially considering the hostility towards people who don't exactly share their sentiments.

Alex

No one cares about a camera phone. But they sure do freak out when they see someone with a DSLR camera. I use one for work purposes but I can't leave my house without some bogan hurling abuse at me if they see me with it.

You're welcome. :) I was just trying to spell out the situation to him, because I don't think he could see how his "case" really looked like.

Well, I'm actually curious about what makes the music for this show so appreciated by some and I'd love to be shown some samples,

Well, you love Lego, so you have been suspect for many many years now!!!

;)

I kid, i kid!

Hei, I've served my time. I've paid my debt to society

The thing that Basil doesnt seem to understand is that no one is really on his side here. Which is telling.

I'm unfamiliar with the whole scenario, although I gather I know enough about it from Basil's FSM posts and the posts in this thread. If I may speak with some mild dissent, I have to say, I'm on his side to some extent - if somebody is offended by something, that's their right and I would never feel right telling somebody that their sensibilities are incorrect (no matter how the sensibilities of the remainder of the board or myself differ).

On the same token, Basil does have a tendency to be very reactive - not just regarding this, but with others - and the whole series of Steef threads on FSM are a joke. Expecting everyone else to get frothed up about something that offends you is useless, and doing it repeatedly and with such vigor even more so. Dragging Jason into it is ridiculous.

For the most part, I've been on his side with stuff on FSM - not this, which I personally think is out of whack - but with his pony stuff, there are people (of the non-Stefancos variety) who go out of their way to be nasty and make him feel uncomfortable. His reactions feed this, of course - I'm sure the jerks would be less likely to keep being jerks it if he didn't keep fanning the flames, like keeping a Nixonesque enemies list on Facebook. All the same, I think the pony haters are a bigger problem as far as FSM is concerned, very similar to the wave of Zimmer haters who post just to push people's buttons over there every time a big Zimmer score comes out - the pointless nastiness degrades an otherwise pleasant community.

Many of us like Harry Potter. And it has kids in it!! Oh noes

What would someone think if the saw the Home Alone 2 soundtrack in my ipod

That you like Christmas music?

I think they'd be scared if you had heavy tint on your windows, a bag of Dum Dums on the front seat, and playgrounds saved in your GPS.

The movie is about a kid who's alone, so maybe an adult liking something Home Alone related could be viewed as pedophilic ...just keeping in line with the topic

Isn't he American? You crossed borders to visit him but haven't wanted to go to ONE of the John Williams concerts in Boston or LA he's been doing every year for 10 years straight?

Well, I know I've been holding off the concerts but maybe one day. Hopefully JW won't die too soon

Still Boston seems far just to see a Boston pops concert and it's not a priority to me

When does the My Little Pony sub-forum open? That seems like a reasonable request since there seems to be overwhelming interest. I know it didn't work for LOTC, but My Little Pony is respected and loved by many, unlike Tolkien.

It's been more than 10 years when he went to CCC's house. Chris' mom had him banned from entering the USA again. It almost started the Second US/Canadian War.

Just to see the Boston Pops? Just to see the Boston Pops?

It's an opportunity to see your favorite composer conduct your favorite film music live in person, not to mention the chance to meet many people you know from the board in person. What's to lose?