Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

^ "I hate the Prequels"** - Simon Pegg.

**Except when Dave Filoni provides a paycheck for voicing Dengar in Clone Wars prequel based material.

• 2 weeks later...

At this point, I'm concerned we may never stop seeing new "Star Wars," what with the one-a-year-until-the-end-of-time plan that Disney and Lucasfilm announced. It feels like we're eventually going to see movies about every thing that has ever crossed the screen even fleetingly, and while that's good news because the sheer manpower required to pull it all off means I have a good shot at both writing and directing "Gonk: A Star Wars Story" in 2041, it also means it all feels a little less special, and it's harder for me to get excited in the way I did back in 1997 and 1998.

This.

The last Disney animated movie I saw was... when I was a kid, sorry. ;)

EDIT: not true, I remember sleeping in the theater when I saw (part) of Toy Story (the first, because now there is surely 3 or 4...). That was a great sleep.

Then you don't know what you've missed!

Spielberg even claimed Cinderella III is his favourite animated movie.

That's because he's senile. But wait a few more years, it can happens to me too.

You went through the trouble of watching Cinderella III?!!

I don't think I've ever heard of that movie, and if I did, it's not something I would search for.

Guys, this article is a really good read, discussing the different between Kershner directing TESB and Marquand directing ROTJ, as well as George Lucas's differing creative control on both.

Well worth your time to read!

I ended up doing a bunch of shopping today for various things, and realized it was Force Friday immediately upon entering many stories. Like Kohls just had a ton of stuff. There is so much Star Wars merchandise available now, its amazing. Saw a bunch of cool shirts, the stuff now is way better than anything we had in the 90s when I was a teenager actually really into this stuff.

They're really merchandised the shit out of this franchise - I mean, it wasn't just toys by any means; I saw salt and pepper shakers, bed sheets, lamps, beach towels, water bottles, bbq tongs, just all sorts of stuff.

Seemed like it was half Episode 7 related, 40% OT related, and 10% prequel-related, maybe less. I can't imagine Ep 7 stuff will sell all that well before anyone's even seen the movie?

From what I'm hearing, the stuff is flying off the shelves. The Midnight Madness was a disaster because stores didn't have enough stock to meet demand. The action figures were bought up immediately. This didn't happen when the prequel toys were released, especially The Phantom Menace. There was too much stuff. Don't you remember this:

We wouldn't see the movie for like a month, but we bought Darth Maul and Ric Olie toys.

There was way too much Episode I merchandise sold back in 1999. Way too much. I see the same level of commercialized crap going on with this movie. I don't remember buying a lot of it, but my mom gifted much of it to me because I liked the earlier films. Most of it was crap. Vader bodywash, Threepio bandaids, pens with all the cast, Jar Jar watches. Lots of t-shirts. I did start a collection of all empty Episode I Pepsi cans, but they were dumb to display, then cumbersome to store in garbage bags, then we just recycled them. I don't recall seeing as much merchandise for Episodes II or III.

There was still a lot of stuff for II and III, but I think they learned their lesson from TPM. So much of that stuff was put on clearance and ended up at the dollar store.

I don't like the majority of the stuff I'm seeing for TFA. No Han or Luke figures to be found at present and that's what everyone wants. Since Disney bought Star Wars, none of the merchandise interests me. It's rare that I see something I like anymore, although I did get a latex Salacious Crumb and an adorable Chief Chirpa doll.

Doesn't sound like people went quite as nuts over this side of the pond. However, I wouldn't be surprised to find out that the Disney store on Oxford Street had been stormed and stripped of all of its TFA stock.

I only have bought three things: Titanium Series First Order Star Destroyer, Titanium Series Milennium Falcon (EP7 version), and Titanium Series Resistance X-Wing.