Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

I don't really collect toys anymore, but I was kind of interested in picking up a Black Series Rey + BB-8 set, assuming it looked as good to me in-person as it did online. Both Target and Wal-Mart were sold out of all action figures, of course, so I'll just have to wait. I did pick up a BB-8 shirt to wear for my race over the weekend, but that's the only in-stock thing that tickled my fancy.

Episode I was a disaster, marketing-wise, but only because the movie was so poor. The fact that stock is so low currently is a sign that franchisees have learned their lesson from Episode I - because, yeah, everybody could find every action figure all the time, but then two years later Ric Olie was still clogging up the pegs.

I'm no toy expert but the new Force Awakens figures look pretty lousy. They look pre-Phantom Menace (toy) bad. I guess they were going for a "retro" look but it didn't work and they look like generic knock-off figures you'd find in a Dollar General recycling bin.

I think the Black Series 6" figures all look great, IMO, although I've only seen Chewbacca in person from this most recent wave. Hasbro's focus with the 3 3/4" figures has moved to a more kid-friendly approach - simple articulation, focus on main characters and troopers - and for the most part I think that's a good move.

I'm no toy expert but the new Force Awakens figures look pretty lousy. They look pre-Phantom Menace (toy) bad. I guess they were going for a "retro" look but it didn't work and they look like generic knock-off figures you'd find in a Dollar General recycling bin.

There are quite a few complaints in regards to the quality of the toys especially the vehicles. I don't think they captured the likeness of Rey and Poe but like you said, they may have been going for the old school look. The paint job on some of these figures look rushed, too.

From a recent interview with Ridley Scott:

"I enjoyed making The Duellists so much that I decided, with David Putnam, that I’d do Tristan and Isolde. I was in LA to show The Duellists and David said, there’s a film called Star Wars at the Chinese. I can get two tickets, do you want to go? I think you should go. We went to an afternoon performance at 2:00, I was eight rows from the front with David Putnam. I never saw or felt audience participation like that, in my life. The theater was shaking. When that Death Star came in at the beginning, I thought, I can’t possibly do Tristan and Isolde, I have to find something else. By the time the movie was finished, it was so stunning that it made me miserable. That’s the highest compliment I can give it; I was miserable for week. I hadn’t met George at that point, but I thought, Fu*k George.

Absolutely seminal for me, that first one that George Lucas directed. So creatively brilliant that he decided to make it the flip side of the coin to 2001, and it certainly became the flip side of Alien which I would do two years later. George made a fairy tale story, with a princess, the young prince, and the cynical Harrison Ford playing Han Solo. To me, it was an absolutely perfect rendition of a great comic serial. I learned to draw from comic strips, the better ones. I always remembered the early Supermans were better drawn than the later one, and the early Tarzans were spectacularly well drawn, the anatomy of the jungle was great. There’s artistry in comic strips and George was obviously a devotee of that and what he did was brilliant."

Alex

Everyone always talks about the Star Destroyer opening and how earth-shatteringly spectacular it was when it came roaring overhead. I wish I'd been old enough to see and appreciate what has clearly become a legendary moment in cinema, I always try to be there for such landmark moments but alas I was merely days old when people queued to see Star Wars.

I saw the movie for the first time at home, but that Star Destroyer also left me quite an impression. I can only imagine what it was like in the theatre more than 10 years earlier

There should have been more exposition making that clear then, even though I hate exposition LOL. And what was with that score? Constant planing triads, Holst and Stravinsky lifts... ugh! Can't he do anything else?

Until Sony's license expires, the only CDs coming out for the original 6 films will contain what Sony's already released before.

Surely in 2017 (or 2019, no one seems to know which), after Sony's out of the picture and everything reverts to Disney, we'll get new, Matessino-produced versions.