Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Overpriced amusement and theme parks are playgrounds for over-privileged upper middle and upper class people. They're only slightly more useful than golf courses, but not much more.

Disney World is my favorite place on earth. 4 parks, 2 water parks, Disney Springs, Disney Boardwalk, and a never ending amount of resorts that are as beautifully designed as the parks themselves.

And you like Always and John Williams?

Disney World is my favorite place on earth. 4 parks, 2 water parks, Disney Springs, Disney Boardwalk, and a never ending amount of resorts that are as beautifully designed as the parks themselves.

And you like Always and John Williams?

I think E.T. And Elliott just found himself a girl!

Disneyland is equal to Star Trek, John Williams and 1970s/early 1980s Steven Spielberg films, which are better than everything else.

Carl Sagan > Kubrick > A.I. > Star Trek > Disneyland

Here's the new Star Wars version of Space Mountain at Disneyland. The music is newly recorded by the LSO. I'll check it out tonight if it's open.

I might run into you. It seemed to be closed when I checked earlier today though.

K let's go! Indiana Jones at least five times.

That one's great, probably my favorite of the rides I've ridden so far.

Currently waiting in line for space mountain. I'll share my thoughts when it's all over in about 3 hours.

Haunted Mansion Holiday is just the worst.

It's ok. But if you only go to Disney every few years and you happen to hit the holiday season it means you don't get to see the real HM. (Which is my favorite ride. Star Tours was third.)

At least with the changes to Pirates of the Caribbean, they don't alter the tone of the ride. Haunted Mansion goes from being a gloomy spookfest to basically a neon cartoon.

I don't think it comes down to a superior performance. I mean, the performances aren't bad, but no one in Star Wars (1977) gave a particularly strong performance. Dare I say even Guinness and Cushing were going through the motions a bit there. Everyone got better after that one, even James Earl Jones, who was a bit hammier in the first one.

The difference probably comes down to something like charm or charisma. You can describe it but not really define it. I think the original film had a certain simplicity, it's confident and lacks pretense. It knew what it was doing and you can trust the tone and the storytelling so you're happy to go along for the ride. The main characters have an affability and a sense of humor, they may not have a lot of nuance but you generally like spending time with them. You feel like you could hold a conversation if you were to meet any of them.

The prequels, you were never quite sure exactly what movie George was really trying to make. It's hard to give in to those flicks, it's either too goofy or too serious, too much or not enough and you surely never related to the people you were watching. Always questioning their decisions, integrity, intelligence, the way they behave and socialize isn't convincing and doesn't remind you at all of real life. Nobody has any joie de vivre, except Jar Jar. But let's be honest with SUH's comparison, we'd all rather have Threepio around because at least he's fairly self-aware and shuts up when people ask him to. What the hell would you talk to Qui-Gon or Padme about, anyway? If you made a joke would they understand? It'd be totally awkward, it's actually unpleasant to imagine...

The prequels were experimental films. Really, so was Indiana Jones IV, which was supposed to be like Indy meets 1950s B movies. Although it wasn't done right for a crapload of reasons, a big one being disagreement over the script.

Is Lucas really saying that he wasn't able to do what he wanted with the Prequels?

As for being sad that Lucas is no longer involved with Star Wars....

No!

The last 3 films he made were terrible. The franchise was pretty much dead in the water. Only excistsing as a few cartoon series and the expanded universe.

There was talk about a live-action Star Wars TV show after ROTS, but that never went anywhere.

Lucas no longer had the energy or inclination to do anything with the franchise. So it's good that it's now passed to a new generation of film makers.

Meh. What a bunch of nostalgic fanboys. C3PO is no better than Jar-Jar.

Remove the rose-tinted glasses, guys. These films were never great.

So why did all of the grown ups in 1977 think they were terrific?

Hamill acted like an 18 year old from Modesto. You've met people like Luke. I've never met anybody like whatever Christensen was doing. They might have been aiming for the same target, but Hamill hit and Christensen missed.

I remember audience laughing at Star Wars. Not so much at the prequels.

I know I have a lot of nostalgia for Star Wars. That doesn't change that it was considered a terrific movie from the git go.

Prior to the Disney acquisition of Lucasfilm, the Clone Wars animated show was a smashing success, the now-canceled video game 1313 was highly anticipated, Star Tours was updated at the Disney theme parks, the movies were being released in 3D and a new live action series was being developed. It wasn't dead in the water! Lucas simply lost interest in it because, well, why shouldn't he have? He's like super old and has a hot wife. Disney came along and wanted Star Wars, and the choice was clear. Cash out of this kiddie space opera.