Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

2 hours ago, Mr. Breathmask said:

One of The Force Awakens' strengths was certainly its characters and the possible dynamics it sets up. I walked out of the cinema eagerly anticipating how their story would continue. I haven't felt that way about characters in a film franchise in a long time.

In the end the new characters and the score is really all that came out of TFA that did it for me.  The plot is a dumb retread, the new version of the familar world wasn't really properly explained, and I didn't really like what they did with any of the old characters.  But yea, thinking about the adventures the new trio will get up to, and actually doing something with Luke, and maybe actually getting into the Force-using side of Leia, and maybe the backstory they clearly have for Maz gives me lots of reasons to hope Ep 8 will be much better than Ep 7 for me.

48 minutes ago, Jay said:

and I didn't really like what they did with any of the old characters.

I thought they handled Han's character pretty well; Leia not as much, probably because she had barely 10 minutes of screen time.

Harrison Ford was wonderful, and I liked everything he said and did, but didn't like that they killed him off.  In general, I don't like the dark future the film gave to our heroes who got a happy ending at the end of the old movies.  Leia didn't really do much and Luke literally didn't do anything.  I didn't like how R2 woke up at the exact right time, and Chewie and Threepio were.. fine I guess

In my opinion, the least-forgivable plot hole in TFA was when Kylo Ren met up with Rey and Finn after killing Han. I mean, the guy just got shot in the side with a bowcaster, was on a bridge about 300 feet underground, and was somehow able to meet up in front of Rey and Finn in the woods?

22 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

Rey, I can understand, but are Poe and Finn really "magnetic characters"?

I don't find Rey magnetic at all. Young Luke and young Han I understand.

1 minute ago, mstrox said:

I'm gonna shout my defense of The Force Awakens out into the abyss, not that it matters.

There's plot, and then there's story.  The "plot" is the laundry list of things that happens, and yes it intentionally mirrors Star Wars.  That's just the bones.  Everything that hangs from those bones - i.e. the "story," the character arcs - is fresh, at least for Star Wars.  Rey has spent her whole life abandoned and waiting.  Finn has spent his whole life as a machine of the First Order, following commands.  No name, no friends.  In the end, Rey gains a close friend and a family - one that doesn't abandon her, but comes to save her.  Finn is treated like a human being for the first time in his life - by Poe, by Rey, by Han and Chewie - and gets some sense of control over his lifetime oppressors.  That's the story of The Force Awakens to me, and in that sense the Starkiller Base doesn't really matter.  In that way, it mirrors the theme that eventually formed around the completed Star Wars trilogy - friendship and love can overtake the darkness.

In the same way that in Star Wars, the machinations of the Empire and the Death Star aren't the story.  That's plot framework.  It's about a lonely young man living his ideals despite impossible odds, a young woman who loses everything she knows but fighting back, and a selfish rogue who learns to care for something bigger than himself.

Yes! The A leads to B leads to C plot is the least important element of any film.  It's how Abrams/Kasdan fill out that plot skeleton that matters.  The "meat" of the TFA story was brilliant, IMO.

*high-five*

In the end, TFA follows the same trend that many movies nowadays follow; a ragtag group of individuals that come from completely different backgrounds, but unite to accomplish something bigger than themselves and ultimately save the day against the bad guys. TFA retells this same premise, but does so in a relatively fresh manner.

On 4/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, Disco Stu said:

A lot of it has to do with Oscar Isaac for sure, but hey, that's good casting!  I especially like Finn because he has such great chemistry with both Rey and Poe, separately.  Eventually it'd be nice for Rey and Poe to meet, actually.

Interestingly, they met in the novelization, actually (I'm not sure if it was filmed and cut or just added to the novelization).

IIRC it was an awkward meeting: I think they essentially bumped into one another at the Resistance base near the end and sheepishly introduced themselves. Nothing more was said. 

So, canonically, they have already met. Any meeting in the film, would, it seems, have to be treated as a meeting of two previous acquaintances, if they are serious, as they seem to be, about keeping strictly with canon. I wonder how they would deal with that, given that the general moviegoing public probably believes they've never met. 

17 hours ago, Romão said:

Actually, my favorite new character from TFA is Kylo Ren. And this scene pretty much sealed the deal for me:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=trsIcv3hWI4

I prefer his temper tantrum! :P

Great full-length podcast interview with Ahmed Best.   This is a pretty fun podcast generally, I liked the ones with Biff from Back to the Future and the woman who played the oldest daughter in Mrs. Doubtfire.

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Great full-length podcast interview with Ahmed Best.  

Does he say anything about Darth Jar Jar? :P

1 hour ago, Will said:

Does he say anything about Darth Jar Jar? :P

It does get brought up!  I mean he laughs about it and it's used as an example of fans wanting to see Jar Jar "given his due" or whatever. Given a real end to his story on screen.

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/breaking-disney-creating-star-wars-starship-luxury-resort-experience-attached-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Well, this sounds like just about the most awesome thing ever. Hope it happens. Pretty pricey, but if I do end up having the means, I doubt I'd miss a chance to go. 

This new SW Land is sounding more and more irresistible by the day.

Theme parks like that have never intrigued me, even when I was a kid.  I always preferred the ones that are focused on roller coasters, not the boring stuff.  King's Dominion here in Virginia is a great park for that, lots of coasters.

With Disney I was always like, "Sounds boring, where are the rides?"