Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

6 minutes ago, kaseykockroach said:

Is there music missing in the 1993 albums that's especially important? In A New Hope's case, if I was even more naive on the subject than I already am, I'd assumed this was the complete score. 

Well what does "especially important" means :-)

I think the SE editions contains more music than the Anthology boxset for sure... but is it "significant"? I'm not really an expert on this subject unfortunately! 

I think the "Mynock cave" cue (from ESB) is missing in the 1993 Anthology.  It's an important part I think... as it was mixed with the Main Theme on the original LP. On the 1993 boxset, the Main Theme from ESB is the original recorded version without this edit.

It's strange that for as long as Jedi is on the two disc set, longer than the film actually because it contains the music from the beginning of the film between Vader's entrance and the droids' walk to Jabba's palace, the set actually lacks the extended brass solo performance of Jabba's Theme contained on the Anthology set. 

7 hours ago, Richard said:

Has anybody spotted the tennis shoe, in ROTJ?

According to this article, you cannot see the shoe in ROTJ. It's there in the original version but is too small to see. On the the newer version, it was removed. 

http://furiousfanboys.com/2014/06/the-infamous-flying-shoe-and-ghost-tie-fighters-of-return-of-the-jedi/

• 4 weeks later...

George Lucas got, understandably I think, very frustrated by autograph-seekers at a recent event, accusing them of trying to sell them for profit ("Why don't you just go out and get a job?"):

http://www.tmz.com/2017/06/27/george-lucas-tells-autograph-seekers-get-a-job/

His brief comment on Ron Howard: "I think he'll be great." He clearly was very frustrated at being hounded by the reporter and autograph-seekers, and when asked what advice he had for Howard, he replied with a terse, "Nope. Not my job." 

Perhaps his tersest reply came when asked about his thoughts on Hamill getting a star on the Hollywood Walk of Fame: "I think that's fine." 

TMZ wasn't the worst problem there, though. That would be the autograph seekers (although TMZ did exacerbate the situation). 

It's a series of animated shorts starring the Ladiez of Star Wars. It features the original actors from the modern era (Daisy, Felicity, Lupita) and animation (Ashoka, Hera, Sabine) and recast Padme and Leia obviously.

• 1 month later...

Star Wars: Secret of the Empire Hyper Reality Experience Coming This Holiday Season

Wow. I was wondering how long it would take them to do this. Wish I lived in LA!! 

Have any of you guys ever tried one of these hyper-reality things? I haven't, but they sound like just about the awesomest thing ever (except for John Williams music, of course ;)). 

7 minutes ago, Holko said:

For anyone who might be interested: Adywan's Empire Revisited will finally be released today at 6PM GMT after 9 years of work!

EXCELLENT!!!

This little SW short film was just released and I am wondering what the music in it is. While I have heard all the complete SW scores, I'm not that familiar with them (except for TFA). This bit sounds like it's probably from the OT. The reason I'm wondering is because there is a very, very small chance that this isn't existing music, and that it's in fact from TLJ. But, again, for now I will assume that it's from one of the original scores. 

• 2 weeks later...

Apparently for Force Friday many Apple stores are hosting some Star Wars events throughout next weekend. One is called "Build Your Own Star Wars Trailer":

Explore how to create a Star Wars trailer with authentic footage from the films. You’ll discover signature Star Wars trailer-making techniques in an exclusive video from The Last Jedi director, Rian Johnson. Then you’ll create your own trailer complete with titles, transitions, sound effects, and official Star Wars music using iPad and iMovie.

(https://www.apple.com/today/collection/star-wars/)

Given that it's only an hour, they're obviously not going to get very in-depth or anything, but I still think it could be fun. (You guys have probably noticed that I absolutely adore Star Wars trailers.) So I think I might try to go to this Friday morning. I've tried making my own SW trailer in the past, but I didn't get very far because it's very hard work (at least for a novice at video editing!) I assume with this they'll make things really simple and that might give me a chance to actually produce a complete trailer. 

1 hour ago, crumbs said:

They might have music from TLJ!

Yeah, I'm hoping! Even though I know it's unlikely. 

• 1 month later...

This looks awesome, might ask for it for Christmas:

William Shakespeare's The Force Doth Awaken: Star Wars Part the Seventh (William Shakespeare's Star Wars)

The free preview contains such hilarious but very well done lines as this:

Enter KYLO REN in his shuttle.

POE:

What is this ship that draweth quickly near?

Intimidating in its entrance grim?

O, it doth shake the very heav'n on high

With tumult as it thunders by so bleak

'Tis likely that some fiend doth ride therein

A dark apostle of the foul First Order.

9 minutes ago, Fal said:

The audiobook sounds good too, it has sfx and "full" voice acting including my man Marc Thompson. 

Oh wow, didn't realize that existed! Probably good too. Does it have any JW music? ;)

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
12 minutes ago, Brundlefly said:

I've just got a rather convincing impression that Disney properly stored all the Star Wars music in rather decent quality.

Did you read this somewhere?  I'm sure most/if not all Star Wars material (except maybe the ROTJ score masters) has been properly stored... even the shot of infamous Mos Eisley landspeeder with the wheels showing.

• 3 weeks later...

If you have a Netflix account, watch the first episode of The Toys that Made Us. Pretty interesting documentary about the history of the entire Star Wars toy line and negotiations, the rise and fall and rebirth from the months before May 1977 through The Force Awakens. 

• 2 weeks later...

There's a video on the official youtube channel talking about TLJ easter eggs and one thing caught my attention. Star Wars, the original 1977 version was selected for preservation for being aesthetically, historically and culturally significant by the american film board or whatever years ago, but Lucasfilm said they do not have the original footage, just the 97 one, so after years, it's still the one film they gave this honor to that they do not actually have. We got hints of this reasoning being bullshit when Gareth Edwards reportedly watched the new 4K scan of the original movie, and footage of Red and Gold Leader was used in Rogue One... but in TLJ, when

Spoiler

R2 projects Princess Leia's plea to Obi-Wan,

they say they just looked at the original dailies and selected the correct angles. 

THEY STILL HAVE ALL THE FUCKING DAILIES???