Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Just like I never thought Batman and Robin was some terrible descent from Batman Forever (both were terrible) I didn't find Revenge of the Sith any better than Attack of the Clones.  I suppose ROTS didn't have the C-3PO joke-fest, but that's about all.  It did not have the heartbreaking end of Anakin Skywalker.  It certainly gave us nothing of Darth Vader helping the Empire "hunt down and destroy the Jedi Knights".  I liked The Phantom Menace back in the day, but it hasn't aged very well.

I loved Rogue One SO much.  (And the score.)

I liked The Last Jedi more than The Force Awakens.  But I liked them both.  TLJ has the same problems with Not Rey that Return of the Jedi has with Not Luke.  I don't think the writer / director cares about any of the other stories but they have to give these beloved characters SOMETHING to do.  The Empire Strikes Back almost had the same problem, but they managed to give Han and Co. an interesting chase and Bespin was a more interesting locale than Canto Bight.

Haven't seen Solo yet.  Maybe tomorrow.

6 hours ago, Tallguy said:

they have to give these beloved characters SOMETHING to do. 

This has always been a bit of an issue with the Trek movies.  Some more than others.

I'm haven't seen a whole lot of Star Trek, but from what I did see, it has (in this regard) the advantage of having a team: i.e. a group of characters that function not just as individual characters but also as one "unit' that has its own character, so you don't need them to split up too much.

9 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Star Wars will always get far more discussion than Star Trek.

Agreed!

So what is is that Star Wars fans want, really?

Many seemed to dislike TFA, up untill TLJ was released, which they hated because it was a betrayal of what TFA was trying to do (in their minds). Now Solo is a trainwreck that...apparently...will spell doom for the franchise.

Rogue One seems to be the least bashed film, and it's by far the least interesting.

1 minute ago, Stefancos said:

Many seemed to dislike TFA, up untill TLJ was released, which they hated because it was a betrayal of what TFA was trying to do (in their minds). Now Solo is a trainwreck that...apparently...will spell doom for the franchise.

Rogue One seems to be the least bashed film, and it's by far the least interesting.

Hmmm. 

Rogue One is my favorite so far.  (I'll see Solo this weekend.)

While I don't buy that TFA was just a remake of Star Wars I will admit that TLJ was a lot more interesting to me.  And I had far more objection to Han in TFA than Luke in TLJ.

Because of Abrams' set up the shape of the SW Universe really doesn't make sense.  What kind of government do they have?  Is the Republic really gone?  Is the First Order really in charge now?  Did the Republic not have any military that wasn't on The Republic (nice job with names, JJ)?  I'll be interested to see how (if?) he wraps it all up.

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

They want to complain, and they would complain no matter what was put in front of them, save perhaps for a striking masterpiece a la TESB.  But those are few and far between nowadays.  Hollywood has lost much of its fire.

I am no Star Wars fan.  But, to me, TFA and TLJ suffer from sometimes poor filmmaking and oftentimes poor storytelling.

1 minute ago, Steve McQueen said:

They want to complain, and they would complain no matter what was put in front of them, save perhaps for a striking masterpiece a la TESB. 

Nah.  They complained about that too.  :)

29 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I like the two saga films but I’d prefer more in the vein of Solo and Rogue One. 

Personally, the stuff I like generally nails the feel of the OT and/or spins out from it in some way that seems logical and has basically the same genre and the same heart. Archie Goodwin’s “Early Years” comics. Brian Daley’s pulpy Han Solo Adventures and masterful Radio Dramas. Timothy Zahn’s excellent, seamless continuation of the OT in his first five novels. The always fun X-Wing books. The Force Awakens.

On 5/28/2018 at 11:41 PM, Stefancos said:

Star Wars will always get far more discussion on a John Williams forum than Star Trek.

I always have and always will be a Star Wars girl....but Star Trek is growing on me. Old Star Trek.

5 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

I always have and always will be a Star Wars girl....but Star Trek is growing on me. Old Star Trek.

Old Star Trek (TNG?) or OLD Old Star Trek (TOS)?  :)

3 minutes ago, Indianagirl said:

Here's where I look like an idiot. What's the difference?

Not an idiot.  TNG = The Next Generation (Picard and Data) which is 31 years old.  TOS = The Original Series (Kirk and Spock) which is 52 years old.

Hell, even Enterprise is 17 years old at this point.

1 minute ago, Indianagirl said:

I prefer the movies with Kirk. But I like Picard too. I don't too much care for the reboot. 

I've never seen the tv series of either era. 

Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan is the high point of the whole franchise.

The original tv series is kinda fun.  Ahead of its time in some respects, a product of the 60s in others.

I like Star Trek, Star Trek 2, and Star Trek 6 from the Kirk's. Star Trek 3 and 4 are okay. I didn't really like five at all. (or do I have that backwards?) I'm not sure ha. But 1,2,and 6 I know I like. 

First Contact was my favorite of Picard. Nemesis was pretty good. I don't really remember Generations. I didn't like Insurrection at all. 

13 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Nemesis is the only one I don’t like much of all of the original 10.  Even Insurrection for some of its great character moments.

Character moments are what prevent every Star Trek movie from being truly bad.  It's true that Nemesis is the only one that feels kind of cold there.

I think they were trying to take a darker turn with the Picard/Shinzon 'two sides of the same coin' aspect and keep a few of the stock adventure moments from TNG but the two unfortunately didn't mesh. 

5 minutes ago, TGP said:

Character moments are what prevent every Star Trek movie from being truly bad.  It's true that Nemesis is the only one that feels kind of cold there.

And considering every second of IV is a character moment, no wonder it's the best!

I wish they had explored Nemesis as a good two-parter back when the series was on. A lot of the drama and character moments get lost in some more anonymous action scenes.