Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

Question. I recently found a pretty good MIDI file of the Asteroid Field (concert version), and in the file properties it says 'Copyright Nintendo 2002', so I'm guessing this comes from a game. Could anyone tell me whether more Star Wars material suites were sequenced for games?

1 minute ago, bollemanneke said:

Question. I recently found a pretty good MIDI file of the Asteroid Field (concert version), and in the file properties it says 'Copyright Nintendo 2002', so I'm guessing this comes from a game. Could anyone tell me whether more Star Wars material suites were sequenced for games?

Rogue Leader would be the game it's from

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Star_Wars_Rogue_Squadron_II:_Rogue_Leader

On 10/17/2018 at 9:18 AM, Tallguy said:

Super Star Wars had a remarkable amount of Star Wars score (rather than just the basic themes) IIRC.

SROTJ had a unique arrangement of the Imperial themes.

4K83 is a bit more unpolished than 4K77 in this first release, but still damn good. Sometimes it is indeed a bit too noisy, overall the inconsistent and sometimes very dull colour grade's my biggest issue, though the guys told me on the forum it's mostly how the movie looked in 1983 plus a little uncorrected fading here and there. Over 99% of its frames come from a near-pristine (clean, not scratchy) Eastman print struck directly from the original negative. I haven't really had a single moment where I was as gobsmacked as seeing that tasty Technicolor SW print - that one will keep astonishing me for many more viewings to come. Here, they rather supplied a base for other people to perfect rather than an already great work like 4K77 No DNR.

Screenshots from the 1080p no-DNR version: (4K also available, don't know if they're planning "official" DNR versions, it's nowhere near as bad as SW's Tatooine scenes could be)

Spoiler

Képernyőfelvétel_(231).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(232).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(235).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(236).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(237).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(238).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(239).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(240).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(241).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(242).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(243).png

Képernyőfelvétel_(245).pngKépernyőfelvétel_(246).png

Képernyőfelvétel_(247).png

Képernyőfelvétel_(249).png

This marks the absolute first ever time these shots below, or some effects, actors or elements in them have been available outside theaters in anything better than twice upscaled sub-DVD resolution!

Spoiler

Képernyőfelvétel_(230).png

Hot damn, those legs!

Képernyőfelvétel_(234).png

Is this where Lucas got the idea of sand getting into private parts? Sure looks like it...

Képernyőfelvétel_(248).png

EYEBROWS!!!

Képernyőfelvétel_(251).png

I don't even have any jokes for this, it's just heartwarming to see. I grew up with the '97 SE on TV, so Shaw was still part of my childhood.

Goddman is this score distractingly hacked all over the place.

I have 4K77 from when they first released it, a whopping 80+GB. I also have the Grindhouse version of ROTJ (which I believe utilized the same print that they used for 4K83, but completely unedited, Harmy also utilized it in his latest ROTJ edit). I'd download 4K83 but I'm almost out of disk space. :P

I use a lot of the same programs as these guys so I'd be able to clean up ROTJ up for myself like I did SW.

4 minutes ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I use a lot of the same programs as these guys so I'd be able to clean up ROTJ up for myself like I did SW.

Well, here's a list of my problems with the print: 😁

Spoiler

-some inconsistent light levels in Jabba's palace (throne room sometimes looks like normal footage overexposed or overbrightened, rancor pit looks artificially darkened), but I guess this is just how the source was.
-some shots, like Luke in the X-Wing's cockpit look pristine and sharp, others are very very noisy (not even necesarily always the optical composite shots, and not just heavier grain but colourful noise all over), the Ewok village is also very clean and noiseless
-both Vader's and the Emperor's arrival as well as Vader's unmasking have almost vertical blue streaks all across the frame (again, if it's inherent to the source, I guess it's what it is) - that damn Lambda shuttle ramp must be it!
-In many shots the brightness flickers noticeably
-colour grading changes starkly at times mid-wipe or right before a wipe - maybe the original source could be separated by tracking the wipe line(s), graded separately, then recomposited?
-reel change markers are left in
-I'd still boost the saturation a bit in a lot of the Endor shots personally, sometimes the grade's very inconsistent - compare the scenes right before and after the fleet jumps to hyperspace, and 3PO's closeup when Wicket tells him Paploo plans to distract the guards stands out massively with its actual greens from that very dark, bluish/greyish scene. The speeder bike chase probably feels the most natural overall.
-The inside of the Death Star looks faded, the reds, oranges, skintones and the explosions in those elements don't pop, and even if they shouldn't, they're all dull and brownish.

9 hours ago, Manakin Skywalker said:

I have 4K77 from when they first released it, a whopping 80+GB. I also have the Grindhouse version of ROTJ (which I believe utilized the same print that they used for 4K83, but completely unedited, Harmy also utilized it in his latest ROTJ edit). I'd download 4K83 but I'm almost out of disk space. :P

Is there even a USB stick with enough capacity for that?!

2 hours ago, Norma's Corpse said:

Is there even a USB stick with enough capacity for that?! 

I have half a dozen 256GB sticks. You can get them at Best Buy pretty cheap, 128GB ones as well. I use them quite a bit for all sorts of stuff.

4 hours ago, toothless said:

How many different substances was Ford on?  And how much?  I do wonder if this was taped the day after Eric Idle's party.  On the other hand I was led to believe that Fisher and Ford were bombed out of their gourds for most of Star Wars and Empire (at least).

A member of krrgaths, a semi-sentient species of bacteria by the name of Brritz Kokeadnell nested herself under her nail while in Jabba's palace as a slave, making it grow thrice as fast and hardening it. Brritz's ultimate motivations were getting to see the universe and take place in important fights, since her home planet of Kokbar is a barren grey rock and she was shunned by her family for thinking the Rebellion had any chance of winning. Later she was retconned to be Force-Sensitive, and Lucas made her cameo in RotS, where she got under Boga the varactyl's claws. From there, Obi-Wan carried her on his cloak, and she eventually found her way to Jabba on Tatooine in the new canon.

Am I the next Chuck Wendig or what?

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
1 hour ago, Fabulin said:

...how is this different from other folk sport/dance routines?

This is different, because they're based on some sort of reality.

Star Wars is a childish - albeit attractive and entertaining - fantasy, which some people have read way too much into. It is a trick of light; it contains characters, and situations which do not exist. Wouldn't it be better to base one's leisure activities upon something that is has a history; that is real; that draws  one into the world, and not something that promotes one's escape from it?