Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

16 minutes ago, Fabulin said:

I wonder whether this theme surfaces one day from his archives... I bet it is in a style of his old masters

That's Leia's Theme.

11 minutes ago, mstrox said:

Impossible - I'm told that Williams is planning on the first ever Star Wars love theme for Episode IX.

About bloody time!

4 hours ago, Richard said:

This is different, because they're based on some sort of reality.

Star Wars is a childish - albeit attractive and entertaining - fantasy, which some people have read way too much into. It is a trick of light; it contains characters, and situations which do not exist. Wouldn't it be better to base one's leisure activities upon something that is has a history; that is real; that draws  one into the world, and not something that promotes one's escape from it?

That depends on whether you want an escape or not.

...cue reignition of "escapism" feud!

5 hours ago, Richard said:

it contains characters, and situations which do not exist. Wouldn't it be better to base one's leisure activities upon something that is has a history; that is real

People can empathize with fictional characters just as much as with real ones.

Narrative cinema is never "real" anyway: even when the character is based in real-life, you're not actually watching them: you're watching an actor embody them. You're not watching the actual occurences - you're watching an artificial re-enactment.

Essentially, all stories are vessels for themes, human themes. And these can resonate in a fantasy or a historical film all the same.

Which isn't to say that fighting with lightsabers isn't for lifeless dorks, which it is.:P

35 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Who is the general that this thread is dedicated to?

General Grievous.

This thread's shorter than I expected.

10 hours ago, Chen G. said:

People can empathize with fictional characters just as much as with real ones.

Narrative cinema is never "real" anyway: even when the character is based in real-life, you're not actually watching them: you're watching an actor embody them. You're not watching the actual occurences - you're watching an artificial re-enactment.

Essentially, all stories are vessels for themes, human themes. And these can resonate in a fantasy or a historical film all the same.

Which isn't to say that fighting with lightsabers isn't for lifeless dorks, which it is.:P

Star Trek is a lot better anyway!

40 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Exposure of the century!

When they put me out to pasture, I hope I fare better than Korrd.

On 2/21/2019 at 4:41 PM, Stefancos said:

Type 2 diabetes is a killer!

Not necessarily. It can be controlled, effectively - and even be reversed - with diet, and medication.

Aren't TV shows often more reaching to be very expensive in comparison to movies. Isn't The Mandalorian the one of the costliest TV shows in a long time? I don't see how this is a better cash option for Disney.

2 hours ago, SteveMc said:

They want it all.

Image result for mickey mouse sith lord

#They want it all.

They want it all.

They want I all,

And they want it, now!#

You laugh about it now, Steve, but your grandchildren will be absolute fucking slaves to this cesspool.

Just now, Richard said:

You laugh about it now, Steve, but your grandchildren will be absolute fucking slaves to this cesspool.

I will train them in the ways of the Light!

Glad my Queen reference got through.

49 minutes ago, SteveMc said:

I will train them in the ways of the Light!

download.jpegMay the Force be with you.

I just have to point out that the picture of Yoda you used @Ii2, is from the scene in Revenge of the Sith where he confronts Chancellor Palpatine aka Lord Sidious. So I believe the more accurate caption would be:

"Faith in your new apprentice, misplaced may be, as is your faith in the dark side of the Force."

They're different kinds of hate. They don't cancel each other out.

What the prequels do have going for them is that they were at least necessary for the story of Star Wars to be complete: which is more than could be said for the Disney sequels.

Just now, Chen G. said:

What the prequels do have going for them is that they were at least necessary for the story of Star Wars to be complete

How? The original films are very much self-contained and hardly needed expanding upon. If anything, the prequels demystified much of the OT’s narrative. 

17 minutes ago, John said:

the prequels demystified much of the OT’s narrative. 

I didn't say they did a very good job at it.

But people did want/need to see why and how Anakin became Darth Vader.

Whereas the contents of the sequel trilogy - while mostly quite good and certainly much better than those of the prequels - are entirely superflous to the overarching story.

6 minutes ago, Chen G. said:

But people did want/need to see why and how Anakin became Darth Vader.

I didn’t. Everything we needed to know about Vader’s rise and fall is laid out just fine in episodes IV-VI; told as opposed to shown on screen. Now the saga is burdened with a hackneyed and inconsistent origin story of its main villain. 

7 minutes ago, John said:

The very definition of “show, don’t tell”. 

Eh?!

But Episodes IV-VI only tell of Vader's backstory!

7 minutes ago, John said:

Now the saga is burdened with a hackneyed and inconsistent origin story of its main villain

That much is true, unfortunately.

1 hour ago, dougie said:

As flawed as they are, they always take me back to the excitement of 1999 to 2005. thinking inappropriate thoughts about Padme.

sw-episodeii11.jpg?resize=740,376&type=v

On 2/23/2019 at 2:24 PM, Richard said:

They just don't know when to stop.

The Mouse won't be happy until it has, literally, all the money in the world.

But they hate Harry. Harry costs them loads of money

1 hour ago, Ghostbusters II said:

If anything, the prequels turned the original trilogy into really awesome sequels. How could they not. The prequels were such low quality it could only get better. That guy they got to play the older Obi-Wan gave an Oscar nominee  worthy performance. Who knew the 4th and 5th film would have the unquestionable two greatest scores of the series

Man you hit itvon the head.

I just found expanded fan edits of the prequel scores somewhere. Episode 1 has 51 tracks and has a third disc with Palpatine dialogue. Does anyone know these edits and are they any good? Are they as complete as they can be at this point?

5 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

I just found expanded fan edits of the prequel scores somewhere. Episode 1 has 51 tracks and has a third disc with Palpatine dialogue. Does anyone know these edits and are they any good? Are they as complete as they can be at this point?

There are hundreds and hundreds of fan edits out there. Many of us here make/have made them, including myself.