Star Wars is better than everything

Jay

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Actually it's about a stalker nurse in love with him, imagining their wedding and all. When she sees him under the mask and says he's beautiful, Vader just puts a saber through her and tells the janitors to clean up.

I say it’s 50/50.

That one dude was in the first season of Jessica Jones. Probably the bet thing about that season. 

Also one was in Gone in 60 Seconds. And that is a gawd damn masterpiece. 

And the old one was in The Thick of It. Edit: and In the Loop. Great show and great movie. 

Who was in the Hobbit?

1 hour ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Is it just me or are the Doctor Who actors in a bunch of crappy movies? The Hobbit, Terminator Genesis, World War Z...

I know you don't like them, but Karen Gillan is great as Nebula in the Guardians/Avengers movies.

6 hours ago, Fargo said:

Who was in the Hobbit?

Sylvester McCoy!

Just watched the LEGO Star Wars "All-Stars" series. It's loyalty to John Williams' themes is really incredible!

Not just the main themes (Luke/Force/Leia) make appearances, but also the less well-known ones.

Plenty of Adventures of Han, the Fathiers Charge and even the Resistance Desperation theme from Last Jedi.

This in addition to new themes for the characters of the story. Seems Disney is taking its music pretty seriously. :D

A mere week after I said on this forum that I don't like comics as a storytelling form, I decided to start reading Star Wars comics over the weekend.

Starting with the trade paperback of the first story arc of the 2015 main line Star Wars relaunch, "Skywalker Strikes."  I'm still kinda not sure if I'm "reading it correctly" when I'm reading a comic.  Like, I always this weird hangup where I'm not sure if I'm supposed to be getting more out of individual panels or something.

Anyway, I actually really enjoyed the opening 3 issue setpiece of Han, Leia, Luke, Chewie and the droids infiltrating an Imperial weapons factory to blow it up.

There's this really cool part where Vader is buried under rubble by an AT-AT walker that Han/Leia have commandeered, and then when he's discovered by a stormtrooper...

Spoiler

Here's the cool art when he's initally shot at by the AT-AT

IMG_0008.jpg

And here's where the unfortunate stormtrooper sees him without his mask/helmet

IMG_0009.jpg

So after we get Star Wars movies one per year from 2015-2019, the next one isn't dropping until 2022?  Wow.

At Celebration last month Disney announced that there would be a hiatus from Star Wars films after IX.  Of course there will be Disney+ stuff in the meantime.

I kind of hoped that the hiatus would be longer.  Let hunger for new movies build up a little more.

2 minutes ago, Jay said:

So after we get Star Wars movies one per year from 2015-2019, the next one isn't dropping until 2022?  Wow.

Almost like Disney is listening to its consumers!

Re: comics: I haven't read many, but my freshman year in college I got really into Daredevil, and checked out the Frank Miller run that put his name on the map. What I found myself doing, @Disco Stu, was I would read these issues super-quick and not really absorb much. What improved my experience, was I began to read the frames between the frames. I've never read any interviews with comic book artists to corroborate this, but I get the sense that good artists design each panel, or frame, to convey the illusion and sense of many motions or actions before and after the one that's explicitly captured in that one panel. Much like how a book encourages you to create a mental motion picture, I found myself encouraged to take each panel as an invitation to imagine those implied actions as a fluid, moving entity that glued each panel together; as a result, I found my comic reading experience to be much fuller and richer, and more digestible. 

1 minute ago, Nick Parker said:

Re: comics: I haven't read many, but my freshman year in college I got really into Daredevil, and checked out the Frank Miller run that put his name on the map. What I found myself doing, @Disco Stu, was I would read these issues super-quick and not really absorb much. What improved my experience, was I began to read the frames between the frames. I've never read any interviews with comic book artists to corroborate this, but I get the sense that good artists design each panel, or frame, to convey the illusion and sense of many motions or actions before and after the one that's explicitly captured in that one panel. Much like how a book encourages you to create a mental motion picture, I found myself encouraged to take each panel as an invitation to imagine those implied actions as a fluid, moving entity that glued each panel together; as a result, I found my comic reading experience to be much fuller and richer, and more digestible. 

This is what I'm trying to do as well with the Star Wars comics I'm reading this week.  I figure if I was speed reading them, which can so easily be done, I'd might as well just read the Wookieepedia entry instead.

It would be pretty cool if the big switcheroo was waiting for us once formal announcements get made. Everyone thinking this is the Benioff/Weiss trilogy and it turns out it's Rian Johnson's. 

I think the Disney+ presence will make the every-other-year release schedule seem less spaced out, although yearly Star Wars was working just fine. I know people will point to Solo's underperformance, but Iger more or less took the blame for that in an interview last year. If Solo had been pushed back to December (like Rogue One had) once Howard got brought on to reshoot most of the movie, I think the rhythm they'd established up to that point would have been rewarded. People got very used to Star Wars being a Christmas event very quickly, and the decision to force Solo to stick to its original summer release date (to protect Mary Poppins, which for some reason was anointed as THE can't-miss Disney winter blockbuster for 2018, which was a really bad call as it turns out) is what hurt Solo more than anything. 

If Solo had gotten the opportunity to come out in December, not only would it have made more money (even with its bad release date it still made more than Poppins did in its choice one) but I'd imagine the compressed and cramped nature of everything would have been lessened quite a bit. More press, better marketing, more of a chance to spin what happened with Lord & Miller, more of a chance to give Howard an opportunity to make the case for authorship, more of an opportunity to give audiences some distance from the giant ugly mess that "discourse" about The Last Jedi became, a conversation that quickly became so ugly and controversial the conversation itself became fodder for more than a few cultural and political articles. 

But every other year Star Wars will be fine. We used to have to wait three years between movies, and then wait decades between trilogies, and we didn't have huge, high-budget miniseries constantly running in the interim, either. Plus it's possible we're not getting consecutive trilogy installments. It could be possible we're getting Benioff & Weiss part I, then Rian Johnson Part I, then Benioff & Weiss part II, etc etc. 

Three years is a pretty significant break for a series that's been ongoing since 2015. Granted, it's not like the 12 year break between Avatar movies, but imagine Pixar taking a 3 year break once Toy Story 4 drops, or Marvel not releasing anything after Endgame until 2022, or Disney taking three years off from their animated classics remake slate after Lion King.

Their machine is very finely tuned, and audiences are very used to annual (at a minimum) hits from their favorite brands. Disney+ will scratch some of that itch, but three years off isn't in-significant considering the entertainment landscape as it is now. 

I thought the Skull Island ride at Universal Studios was based on the Skull Island movie since it opened around the time the movie came out. However, it was actually based on the Peter Jackson movie which I didn't like, but it's an almost completely different take aside from the look of the creatures.