• Announcements

• Jay

Donate to JWFan, win a CD!   05/30/17

Hello!

We are significantly behind on our funds for keeping JWFan alive, and need to collect donations again.
      As an incentive, I am offering a series of free CDS to anyone who donates over a certain amount!   Donate at least $10 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $250 goal:   Tyler Bates - God of War; Ascension (OST, La La Land Records) Danny Elfman - Planet of the Apes (OST, Sony) Danny Elfman - Taking Woodstock (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Identity Thief (OST, La La Land Records) Christopher Lennertz - Medal of Honor: Rising Sun (OST) Michael Giacchino - Mission: Impossible - Ghost Protocol (OST, Varese Sarabande) Dave Holmes & Various - Ocean's 11 (OST, WB Records) Joel McNeely & Various - Hollywood '94 (Varese Sarabande) Joe Kraemer - Jack Reacher (OST, La La Land Records) John Williams - Born on the Fourth of July (OST, MCA Records)   Donate at least $20 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $500 goal:   John Barry - First Love (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - The Challenge (La La Land) Jerry Goldsmith - In Harm's Way (2009 Intrada edition) Jerry Goldsmith - The Red Pony (Varese) Alan Silvestri - Dutch (La La Land) Shirley Walker - Willard (La La Land) John Williams - Family Plot (Varese Sarabande) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $30 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $750 goal:   James Horner - Gorky Park (OOP Kritzerland Edition) James Newton Howard - Outbreak (2CD, Varese Deluxe Edition) Laurence Rosenthal - Clash of the Titans (2CD, Intrada) John Williams - The Fury (2CD, La La Land) John Williams - Jane Eyre (OOP, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer   Donate at least $50 and you will be entered into a pool to potentially win one of the following once we hit our $1,000 goal:   Jerry Fielding - The Wild Bunch (3CD, FSM) Ira Newborn - The Naked Gun trilogy (3CD, La La Land) Shirley Walker and Various - Batman: The Animated Series Volume 3 (4CD, La La Land) or, any of the above CDs if you prefer     All shipping will be paid by me to anywhere in the world!   I will pull names from a hat for each pool, and you get to pick whatever CD set you want if I pull your name!   To be eligible, leave your JWFan username in the comments area of your donation.  If you want to donate but not be in the running for a free CD, mention that in the comment.   Use this link or the link on the mainpage.       Thank you!   Jason, Ricard, and Andreas.
Jay

STAR WARS general thread

1309 posts in this topic

I also think the visual storytelling of TFA really stands out.  I only have to look at your signature to be reminded of that!

Babality!  Brutality!

On 4/17/2017 at 11:15 AM, Disco Stu said:

A lot of it has to do with Oscar Isaac for sure, but hey, that's good casting!  I especially like Finn because he has such great chemistry with both Rey and Poe, separately.  Eventually it'd be nice for Rey and Poe to meet, actually.

Interestingly, they met in the novelization, actually (I'm not sure if it was filmed and cut or just added to the novelization).

IIRC it was an awkward meeting: I think they essentially bumped into one another at the Resistance base near the end and sheepishly introduced themselves. Nothing more was said. 

So, canonically, they have already met. Any meeting in the film, would, it seems, have to be treated as a meeting of two previous acquaintances, if they are serious, as they seem to be, about keeping strictly with canon. I wonder how they would deal with that, given that the general moviegoing public probably believes they've never met. 

The absolutely hilarious thumbnail on one of those breathless, wildly speculative trailer reviews:

hqdefault.jpg?custom=true&w=246&h=138&st

:lol:

They're all so good!  It really is amazing how good the movie and the new characters are considering how horribly it could have gone wrong.

Because I watched a couple of Star Wars Celebration videos, my YouTube recommended feed is overwhelmed with Star Wars clickbait garbage from bottom feeders. Ugh it's the worst.

Will likes this

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

I also think the visual storytelling of TFA really stands out.  I only have to look at your signature to be reminded of that!

In general, I think Abrams showed more restraint and economy in his staging of TFA than I realized he was capable of or very interested in. Cynically one could say he was just ripping off the Star Wars aesthetic with some Spielberg templates thrown in, but whatever, I could feel a positive effect on his filmmaking. It didn't read to me as a totally superficial influence. The shot selection felt more deliberate to me than his other films, the cuts less frequent and arbitrary. He went for a static camera more often, wider compositions, longer shot durations, came up with some nice  "one-ers" that weren't designed to draw attention to themselves but simply cover the scene in the most legible way, taking advantage of camera movement and positioning of actors to shift perspective instead of constant editing. These aren't just dumb technical things but contributed to atmosphere and removed a lot of the nervous energy that I usually associate with Abrams, giving the film a nice clean look and a confident, easygoing rhythm. He engaged me more in his storytelling.

Even the simplest display of technique like how the first scene inside the First Order Destroyer after the Jakku village attack is covered in exactly two shots: the first starts in a wide shot of the docking bay, follows a flying transport across until an already landed transport fills the foreground, Poe steps into camera forming a new close-up composition and is marched away just as Finn enters frame. Second shot is an obvious divide in the scene, Finn in the transport and we stay in close through the entire duration as he talks to Phasma behind him, putting a strong visual emphasis on his character intro. All you need! Clear choices in visualization....so many movies would have covered that little 60 second sequence in like 10-15 shots cutting from different angles for no discernible reason and it just dilutes the experience. It's like, reading, a sen,tence with, too man,y co,mmas,.

Great full-length podcast interview with Ahmed Best.   This is a pretty fun podcast generally, I liked the ones with Biff from Back to the Future and the woman who played the oldest daughter in Mrs. Doubtfire.

Here's a never before seen deleted scene and blooper from Star Wars

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Great full-length podcast interview with Ahmed Best.  

Does he say anything about Darth Jar Jar? :P

He confirmed that he will reprise his role as Jar Jar Binks in a future Star Wars standalone film.

*drops phone* 

*cusses*

*breathes deeply*

*cusses again, against Lucas and God*

*picks up phone....types*

Okay...

He also confirmed that Jar Jar will have a brief cameo in TLJ as a war-hardened Resistance strategist.

Will likes this

Lucasfilm will use him in episode 9 to fill the deep void left by the death of Carrie Fisher!

Will and JohnSolo like this

1 hour ago, Will said:

Does he say anything about Darth Jar Jar? :P

It does get brought up!  I mean he laughs about it and it's used as an example of fans wanting to see Jar Jar "given his due" or whatever. Given a real end to his story on screen.

Will likes this

In the final Aftermath trilogy book, Jar Jar's fate is revealed to be that of a street clown performing for children. Quite fitting.

Will likes this

http://wdwnt.com/blog/2017/04/breaking-disney-creating-star-wars-starship-luxury-resort-experience-attached-disneys-hollywood-studios/

Well, this sounds like just about the most awesome thing ever. Hope it happens. Pretty pricey, but if I do end up having the means, I doubt I'd miss a chance to go. 

This new SW Land is sounding more and more irresistible by the day.

Theme parks like that have never intrigued me, even when I was a kid.  I always preferred the ones that are focused on roller coasters, not the boring stuff.  King's Dominion here in Virginia is a great park for that, lots of coasters.

With Disney I was always like, "Sounds boring, where are the rides?"

I just hope Disney doesn't charge extra for people to access the Star Wars land in Walt Disney World.

"The pitch is so midget-like." - John Williams

I have no idea whether some of you have seen this but I hadn't till I noticed this YouTube video today. 

The new book Guardians of the Whills came out yesterday (a Baze and Chirrut RO prequel) -- and it was filled with Star Wars prayers and poetry! 

Awesome - these remind me why I love Star Wars. So cool to see the world of Force believers expanded so dramatically in the last few years and now here (and likely moreso in TLJ). 

We even get a SW version of the Golden Rule! :)

Also cool to see this version of the Jedi Code officially made canon. Although, interestingly, there was already a version of the Code in canon with some slight differences (more moderate and accepting of balance, basically), I believe, and this version is supposedly "apocryphal." Hmmm..

That other version was:

Emotion, yet peace.
Ignorance, yet knowledge.
Passion, yet serenity.
Chaos, yet harmony.
Death, yet the Force.

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Jedi_Code

4 hours ago, Will said:

Death, yet the Force

This made me laugh for some reason.

I almost did when I read through the entire prayer in Chirrut's voice.

On ‎5‎/‎1‎/‎2017 at 5:02 PM, Will said:

"The pitch is so midget-like." - John Williams

Looks like I just found my new profile signature!

Will likes this