The Official "Cosmos" Thread

Dixon Hill

I know there's a good number of Sagan fans on here, as well as those who are unfamiliar with him and/or the original series but looking forward to the upcoming continuation with Neil deGrasse Tyson.

It was just announced that Alan Silvestri will continue his association with Sagan's work by scoring the series. I was hoping for a similar approach to the original, where Tyson or MacFarlane would hand pick existing music, but this is certainly as exciting.

First episode airs on March 9.

I'm a huge Sagan fan. I love the idea of the new series and thanks for the reminder for March 9. Love Silvestri...love Neil deGrass Tyson. Sagan + Silvestri+Tyson = good.

Sagan is very probably my biggest idol. Silvestri's apparently ongoing connection with his works is certainly promising. Though I have yet to be convinced that anything can match the pairing of concept, visuals, Sagan's narrative and (primarily) Vangelis' music in the original series.

I loved Contact, the book, yet I've never delved into more stuff by Sagan. Now I'm quite curious about Vangelis' music for Cosmos

The original Cosmos series is very probably the greatest thing that was ever done for TV. Some people consider it heavily dated, considering it's an astronomy science programme from the earliest 80s, but what makes it so great is that it isn't - because it's so much more than that. It's a heartfelt and gripping journey through the history and nature of science and the cosmos.

I've actually just begun to rewatch it and was thinking about starting a thread about it - now I'm wondering if that should be this thread or a separate one (in which case we'll have a naming conflict).

I'm actually not sure if it was done specifically for the show, or taken from existing Vangelis albums, or some combination.

It's mostly taken from Vangelis' 70s albums. The main theme is the slow middle section from Heaven and Hell (which isn't a standalone track on the CD release of the album). Alpha from Albedo 0.39 is the other most used piece, and those two pieces probably best define the scope and mood of the series. There's some other cues from Albedo and Spiral (and probably some others I don't have).

In addition, there are a few original pieces, most notably the gorgeous Comet 16, which I so far thought was unreleased*:

*) Apparently there was a release, but I'm unable to find it on the internet.

And some other stuff:

Also a great selection of classical music from Vivaldi through Beethoven to Shostakovich and Janacek.

I discovered Hovhaness there too. The two CD release which I used to have but no longer have included Comet 16 as the only existing original music for Cosmos that has been released. There's also an alternate I think.

I've actually just begun to rewatch it and was thinking about starting a thread about it - now I'm wondering if that should be this thread or a separate one (in which case we'll have a naming conflict).

I think we can discuss both shows in this one thread.

I loved Contact, the book, yet I've never delved into more stuff by Sagan. Now I'm quite curious about Vangelis' music for Cosmos

Great book but mediocre movie. The film did not understand the book.

There is so much good material from him...PM if you want recommendations since it is off topic but I have read a dozen of his books and absolutely love how he bridges science with art and philosophy. Sort of a unique missing link. I was lucky to have met him and have his autograph too!

I'm actually not sure if it was done specifically for the show, or taken from existing Vangelis albums, or some combination.

The Vangelis material was pre-existing. None of the music for the Cosmos 1980's show was original but it was beautifully merged with the concept of the series. One of the highlights was the merging of all material - truly Gesamtkunstwerk merging art, science, history, philosophy, poetry, music, etc.

Ok, I thought "Pale Blue Dot" was such a wonderful testament to this man. It gave me goosebumps on several occasions while reading. Also "Demon Haunted World" explores history and mythology in the context of science. His brilliance lies in how communicative he was and how many boundaries he crossed. Personally, I believe he and his wife Ann Druyan are sort of like Lennon/McCartney in that they were greater than the sum of their parts. Sort of another way of saying I am not sure the sequel can capture the brilliance of the original however I am VERY hopeful.

I think one of the greatest love stories I ever heard of is this:

http://www.npr.org/2010/02/12/123534818/carl-sagan-and-ann-druyans-ultimate-mix-tape

It is difficult to paraphrase from such a communicator so I invite people to hear it for themselves and ignore me if they disagree but I think it is a phenomenally deep story that will outlast humanity.

Great book but mediocre movie. The film did not understand the book.

Not really, no, as becomes clearer every time I watch it. It still mostly conveys the books topics though, even if it tries to Hollywoodise some things and changes the focus to make some things less "controversial" - it can still be interpreted pretty much like the book (and it drags less).

Regardless, Jodie Foster's performance is brilliant, and the film largely works. The rest of the cast is also good (and introduced Jena Malone).

Pale Blue Dot by Zen Pencils

Watching Cosmos as a young boy was probably one of the most profound experiences of my youth. Changed my thinking, changed the trajectory of my life to a large extent.

Speaking of Sagan, the Sagan series have to be some of my favorite YouTube-age videos.

http://saganseries.com

• 2 weeks later...

billions and billions,

And he never said that.

He wrote a book with that as the title. Surely that qualifies. And surely he's uttered it at least once in his life, given that's "The Sagan." ;)

To help viewers of Cosmos distinguish between "millions" and "billions", Sagan stressed the "b". Sagan never did, however, say "billions and billions". The public's association of the phrase and Sagan came from a Tonight Show skit. Parodying Sagan's affect, Johnny Carson quipped "billions and billions".[2] The phrase has however now since become a humorous fictitious number—the Sagan.

I never said it. Honest. Oh, I said there are maybe 100 billion galaxies and 10 billion trillion stars. It's hard to talk about the Cosmos without using big numbers. I said 'billion' many times on the Cosmos television series, which was seen by a great many people. But I never said 'billions and billions.' For one thing, it's imprecise. How many billions are 'billions and billions'? A few billion? Twenty billion? A hundred billion? 'Billions and billions' is pretty vague... For a while, out of childish pique, I wouldn't utter the phrase, even when asked to. But I've gotten over that. So, for the record, here it goes: 'Billions and billions.'

• 1 month later...

Some of the early reactions to this seem quite positive, and agree that it's a very worthy successor to the original. The only complaint is a sadly predictable one: because this is being broadcast on network and not public television, there's less breathing room due to commercials. A necessary sacrifice I guess.

I really like Niel deGrass Tyson too and think he is a worthy successor to Carl Sagan - so I'm sure it will be good especially with Ann Dryden to serve as a bridge. I'm very much looking forward to it.

The only complaint is a sadly predictable one: because this is being broadcast on network and not public television, there's less breathing room due to commercials. A necessary sacrifice I guess.

I would probably bet that the DVD/Blu-ray releases would have added material.

Hey how was the first episode? I only caught the last 5 minutes after we finished a House of Cards episode and I finally got our indoor HD antennae working. Excited to see the whole episode tomorrow!

I thought it was wonderful, but don't take my word for it. I seem to enjoy a lot of stuff no one else likes! :)

The commercials seem to have been kept as un-intrusive as possible which was nice.

And it kept the whole crew here captivated from start to finish. Pretty great feeling.

Watched it yesterday. Very promising to be sure, if not as profound as the 80s version (at least yet). Oddly enough, Sagan's odd Agent Smith way of speaking feels more natural than Tyson's hyped colloquial readings. Neither the content nor the music can so far reach the heights that the Sagan version already hit in its first episode, which I believe had both the Eratosthenes and Alexandria sequences in addition to the cosmic calendar; that scope (on both a cosmic and historic level) and the choice of music are what made the whole thing *feel* profound.

It's a tough aim for the new series though, and they're doing fine so far. After all, this was just an introductory episode (more so than Sagan's first, I imagine). I'm certainly looking forward to the rest.

The best part of it for me is the guy who he paid to pace out the distance between Alexandria and Syene, and that he managed to do it without any error significant enough to hurt the calculation.

Just finished the first episode. Terrific stuff. I liked how the show was updated for 2014, while still paying great tribute to Sagan and the original series.

Entertaining and educational for people of any age. They did a nice job with this one. Looking forward to more.

The only complaint is a sadly predictable one: because this is being broadcast on network and not public television, there's less breathing room due to commercials. A necessary sacrifice I guess.

A sacrifice, but well worth it, as you pointed out. On a mainstream network, it'll be seen in more homes, I hope.
I'm hoping teenagers sit themselves in front of the TV for this one, rather than for episodes of GLEE or THE WALKING DEAD.

I'm hoping teenagers sit themselves in front of the TV for this one, rather than for episodes of GLEE or THE WALKING DEAD.

I'm honestly a little surprised at the time slot. Sunday night at 9pm seems to be slightly against purpose if they're trying to reach a young audience.

Regardless, I love science, love Sagan and Tyson, and was happy with the first episode.

Yea it would have made way more sense to show Cosmos at 7 and their Simpsons / Bob's Burgers / Family Guy / American Dad block from 8-10 instead of those from 7-9 and then Cosmos at 9. Oh well.

I enjoyed the show. I kind of like the idea of it not being on PBS. Too many want it defunded and wouldn't watch it and unless on a dumber channel. It is kind of crazy to think about the one year cosmic calendar that all recorded history comes down to the last few seconds on December 31. Really thought provoking.

The Erastosthenes sequence blows my mind to this day with the astoundingly simple method to discover such a profound collection of truths.

Yep. It's a perfect introduction to the series and hooks you right away. In part I think because Sagan projects not just the gravity of these discoveries but also his own wonder and amazement about the pioneers who made them millenia ago. The Ionian chapter also has plenty of that.

I am no religious man, but I did cringe a little at the Giardino Bruno story. I felt ultimately it was more an attack on religion than an important storyline in science, and therefore Cosmos. Better left out than in.

That said, since the show has aired the sequence has come under fire from historians for its historical...shall we say "misweighing of events." They never outright lie, but things were weighted differently for the purposes of the story,which I think does unnecessary damage to the credibility of the show.

I am no religious man, but I did cringe a little at the Giardino Bruno story. I felt ultimately it was more an attack on religion than an important storyline in science, and therefore Cosmos. Better left out than in.

Yes, especially since he his Copernican theories were just a small part of his trial before the Venetian Inquisitors, and most of it revolved around (pun unintended) his pantheistic beliefs.

I did worry that McFarlane's involvement, however insignificant he claims it is, would result in more of a... politicizing of certain things. I think ultimately it won't be worth getting bothered over though.

That said, since the show has aired the sequence has come under fire from historians for its historical...shall we say "misweighing of events." They never outright lie, but things were weighted differently for the purposes of the story,which I think does unnecessary damage to the credibility of the show.

I think you're right. The original series only mentioned Bruno, Galileo, etc., and their troubles with the Church rather than going in depth and dramatizing them. "Misweighing" things in the service of some agenda or viewpoint other than science will only serve to alienate people who could stand to get quite a bit out of the show.

Unfortunately, many people, on both sides, see the science/religion issue as exclusively "this OR that." The kind of openness that Sagan had has largely disappeared from modern folks. It's all about polemics now. But again, I'm confident it won't seep into the show too much.