Far and Away being released on Blu-Ray on March 4

ConcertAttendee

I saw it twice in the cinema when I was a teenager. It was the first properly widescreen film I'd seen on a big screen (one of the main reasons I wanted to watch it), and I was quite taken by the landscape shots in Ireland and America. I also found it hilariously funny, for some reason. These days the only real interest I have in it is nostalgia.

It was also one of the first film soundtracks I ever had (probably preceded only by Michael Kamen's Robin Hood: Prince of Thieves).

I think it's very entertaining, and it has excellent cinematography.

(I think i said the same thing, when we shared the news in the Bluray thread)

It's a sure purchase for me!

(as long as they don't mess it up with DNR and stuff)

The film is rather bad, but as previously noted -- it has some great visuals. And obviously music. Great to hear that it's out on Blu. I think ALL of John Williams' films should be out on BluRay.

• 4 years later...

The score is superb -- one of my JW favourites of all time.

BUT...the film is rather terrible, maybe Ron Howard's worst. There's some lush cinematography -- both in the Ireland and USA sequences -- that is wortwhile, but otherwise it's just an embarassingly shallow melodrama with one of Tom Cruise's most ridiculous performances ever, including an hilarious "Irish" accent.

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

BUT...the film is rather terrible, maybe Ron Howard's worst. 

It is bad but it still not quite The Missing.

Karol

5 minutes ago, crocodile said:

It is bad but it still not quite The Missing.

Karol

It's been a while since I saw that, but I can't remember it being that bad. I like the score.

I think "not remembering it" is what most people take away from watching The Missing;) 

I do like the score quite a bit though. :)

Karol

12 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Every movie where Tom Cruise appears nude or in underwear is worth watching :pfft:

- Risky Business

- All the Right Moves

- Far and Away

(A special mention to Top Gun for its volleyball scene)

Don't forget Taps too!

4 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

Don't forget Taps too!

Oh we have an expert in the room.

I don't recall this movie at all. :huh:

2 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Oh we have an expert in the room.

I don't recall this movie!

You should watch it. it's very good! (i mean the film ;))

Although, my personal favourite Tom Cruise film is Cocktail.

34 minutes ago, Richard said:

Imagine an extended version of the "military academy" sequence, from DAMIEN: OMEN II.

I recall the movie Omen... but don't remember Omen II... I wonder if I ever watched it. At my defense, I was 4 when it came out... :D

35 minutes ago, filmmusic said:

You should watch it. it's very good! (i mean the film ;))

Although, my personal favourite Tom Cruise film is Cocktail.

I remember more the Beach Boy's song than Tom Cruise in this movie! :lol:

"All the right moves"...ah... the first movie where I really experienced the "pause" fonction of my VHS player. ;)

Happy St. Patrick's day!

29315064_2044342915581535_79713290479028

I would love a good recording of the signature edition concert suite.  I heard Williams do it live in Chicago years back.  He is clearly fond of the piece--so, record it.  

I watched FAW three times. First time I loved it (Nicole Kidman and all that...) and the fantastic score. Second time I liked it. Third time I kind of liked it: Cruise is annoying. I especially hate the kind of recurring 'themes' like, Joseph teaches Shannon how to wash, then she has to go explain it to her mum. And the 'I do not wish to fight' line to the horse is just ridiculous. O, and there's the 'Her eyes were as... something something... his purse' song that appears like five times...

23 minutes ago, Tom said:

I would love a good recording of the signature edition concert suite.  I heard Williams do it live in Chicago years back.  He is clearly fond of the piece--so, record it.  

Do you understand John Keith, RECORD IT! :lol:

9 minutes ago, Richard said:

Dang it all, Bes! You're a JWfaner. That's no excuse!

Ok, I see, the score is by Jerry Goldsmith... 

8 hours ago, Bespin said:

I think the most recent recording (if not, it's the most recommandable!) of Far and Away I know is this beautiful one by Angele Dubeau.

The Signature Edition concert suite Williams often performs in concert is a completely different piece from the above. It is essentially the first track on the soundtrack joined to the end credits suite minus The Chieftains. The piece you linked to sounds like 'Theme from Far and Away" that Williams wrote for Itzhak Perlam and released on the Cinema Serenade CD. Despite its name, it contains two themes from the score: the "Blowing Off Steam" motive and the lyrical love theme. 

8 hours ago, Tom said:

8 hours ago, bollemanneke said:

Isn't it on that JW Spectacular album?

I do believe it is.

Fairly good version of it too. :D

On 17/03/2018 at 1:09 PM, Thor said:

The score is superb -- one of my JW favourites of all time.

BUT...the film is rather terrible, maybe Ron Howard's worst. There's some lush cinematography -- both in the Ireland and USA sequences -- that is wortwhile, but otherwise it's just an embarassingly shallow melodrama with one of Tom Cruise's most ridiculous performances ever, including an hilarious "Irish" accent.

Thor, did you ever see it, in 65mm?

On 3/17/2018 at 9:06 AM, filmmusic said:

It was a bit difficult to find a thread about this  score.

"far and away" or "away" in the search doesn't come up with anything.

When that happens just go to google and type in "far and away site:jwfan.com", problem solved

For whatever "away" is some kind of restricted word and Andreas hasn't been able to figure out how to fix it yet.  Bug him about it, not me, I can't fix it.

It has something to do with php & mySQL, not IPBoard.

30 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes -- at the 70mm festival in Oslo!

Nice.

16 minutes ago, Bespin said:

Did Thor just made a joke? :huh:

I don't think so. Lots of towns have 70mm film festivals. Bradford regularly has the Widescreen festival, and if you go to the 70mm newsletter website, you'll find a list of films being shown around the world, in 70mm.

2 hours ago, Richard said:

I don't think so.

3 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yup. And the one in Oslo is one of the most famous. Lots of international guests and audience every year: http://www.in70mm.com/news/2017/oslo/index.htm

Ok, I feel reassured! Pheeeeeew!!!

2 hours ago, Richard said:

Oh, wow, LAWRENCE OF ARABIA, WAR GAMES, CLEOPATRA, PAINT YOUR WAGON, ICE STATION ZEBRA.

Watch out, Thor, I'm moving to Norway :)

He, he...I've seen LAWRENCE, CLEOPATRA and ICE STATION ZEBRA in previous editions. But missed last year's edition, so I also missed WAR GAMES, CLEOPATRA, PAINT YOUR WAGON and INTERSTELLAR. :(