nightscape94

Pet Peeves

12 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Aren't you a journalist? You should know such stuff!

Every publishing outlet conforms to different house style guides. Generally, most online outlets aim for a quick read, whereas the poshier outlets go for a more drawn-out approach, even as far as making the main body of an article only tenuously related to the headline.

Too many writers do not seem to know the difference between the adjectives climatic and climactic.  The former pertains to climate, the latter to climax.

Twice today have I seen climatic used when climactic was surely intended.  It needs to stop.

1 hour ago, Omen II said:

Too many writers do not seem to know the difference between the adjectives climatic and climactic.  The former pertains to climate, the latter to climax.

Twice today have I seen climatic used when climactic was surely intended.  It needs to stop.

A woman's midlife changes to her body's climatic nature reduce her climactic interests. 

17 minutes ago, Quintus said:

When you browse JWFan on your phone and accidentally click on someone's profile link and it takes you to their page instead of wherever else you meant to go. I do this all the time FFS.

This!

People who don't thank you for holding a door open, for them. Nowadays, I say "You're welcome" in a loud voice, in the style of the droid that had the lightsabre taken off of it, by General Grevious.

On 6/25/2019 at 4:30 PM, Quintus said:

When you browse JWFan on your phone and accidentally click on someone's profile link and it takes you to their page instead of wherever else you meant to go. I do this all the time FFS.

For me its accidentally clicking that goddamned tolkien central link. Hell in 3 seconds is like hell in 3 weeks.

3 hours ago, Richard said:

People who don't thank you for holding a door open, for them. Nowadays, I say "You're welcome" in a loud voice, in the style of the droid that had the lightsabre taken off of it, by General Grevious.

Maybe they're shy or caught off-guard?

On 6/19/2019 at 3:43 PM, xWxzek said:

A woman's midlife changes to her body's climatic nature reduce her climactic interests. 

Not quite the same with mid-life men! 🤯

So I browsed the Fox News website and noticed you could actually watch its news station on the internet. But you have to log in using your cable service, and mine isn't even listed! You know, I'd be happy to ditch my cable provider and instead just stream Fox News through the internet if it was a $10-per-month subscription or something, but noooooo, they're still tethered to an outdated cable TV model. Maybe it'll change someday.

If there are as many cord cutters as it's being reported, then it'll become clear sooner rather than later that their whole business model is no longer sustainable. My cable provider Foxtel has already attempted to deliver streaming services in addition to its regular cable box service, but by all accounts it's a disaster with faulty apps and poor video quality, arguably throttled due to the fact that News Corp aggressively lobbied for our NBN infrastructure to be severely compromised to protect its own interests.

4 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

The cable industry is well aware of all these cord cutters, people refusing to pay high prices for cable subscriptions and using steaming services. They're not going to surrender everything that easily.

There are many fucking idiots out there spending more on the streaming services than for cable. 

On 11/26/2018 at 11:58 AM, JoeinAR said:

The United way and the Koman foundation are crooked as hell. 

But United Way has a hook in state govt and they use scare tactics that they must have 100% participation. Sorry folks. 

At Christmas its the Food Bank and toys for tots. 

Two of my employers have used United Way and toted the 100% participation thing. But you can decline to donate. You just have to submit some type of answer. 

On 6/25/2019 at 5:30 PM, Quintus said:

So you’re telling me all my profile views weren’t people legitimately looking for my content? 🤔

6 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

There are many fucking idiots out there spending more on the streaming services than for cable. 

Many of those streaming services are geoblocked in Australia anyway.

Anyone else find that YouTube channels become boring and less fun when they're "monetised" and conform to YT's "algorithm"? Then they start "partnering" with other less popular and less talented channels, then the content becomes so contrived and manufactured. It's sad to watch.

12 hours ago, Dieter Stark said:

The cable industry is well aware of all these cord cutters, people refusing to pay high prices for cable subscriptions and using steaming services. They're not going to surrender everything that easily.

8 hours ago, JoeinAR said:

https://www.theguardian.com/tv-and-radio/2019/jun/27/streaming-tv-is-about-to-get-very-expensive-heres-why

We won't be allowed any of these new services anyway since Foxtel will just hoard all the content and hold it to ransom for $170 a month for sporadic airing and throttled streaming video quality.

I hate it when a tv show or movie shows a plane taking off, and a different plane in the air. In this instance we see a 747 take off but when it cuts to the people inside there is a single aisle with 3 on 3. That was a minor reason I dislike the JW scored Midway film.

:( I'm sorry to hear that., dude, and I'm glad that you wore your helmet, and that you lived to tell the tale. My own comment about helmets, was, perhaps, misunderstood, as I only meant that they look "silly", and a little cumbersome. I first got a cycle helmet going on for thirty years ago, and, like you do, I never rode anywhere without it. It's the cyclist's equivalent of wearing a seatbelt. Personally, I'm not sure why they are not a legal requirement.

16 hours ago, Richard said:

My own comment about helmets, was, perhaps, misunderstood, as I only meant that they look "silly", and a little cumbersome.

No problem at all Richard, I knew your description referred to the look of cycle helmets rather than their usefulness.  It is certainly true that they are not the sexiest items of attire, but I was sure glad of mine on Sunday.  It did its job so well that I was not sure if I had even hit my head until I realised that the visor had come off and one of the paramedics pointed out the impact damage to the helmet.

On 7/29/2019 at 5:50 PM, Omen II said:

Your choice of course, Steef...

F91350D3-C83B-4B3F-B3F3-334FDC5C38BE.jpeg

4 hours ago, Stefancos said:

Glad you're ok. Still wouldn't wear a helmet. I'd look a right bellend.

Steef, would you rather have this, or your head, cracked open?