SCORE: Star Trek Nemesis (Deluxe Edition)

BLUMENKOHL

"It is a score that could be described as being among the awkward few that offer all substance and no style." - Cristian Clemmonnson

He also recently commented about the Deluxe Edition.

"This music boldly goes nowhere, and it remains a major disappointment."

I've always said he's an idiot and continue to believe that to this day.

I for one love the Deluxe Edition of the score and I think a lot more people like it now in complete form. Just like with Star Trek IV The Voyage Home. A lot of people didn't like the score but once the complete version came out a lot of people changed their minds and now like it.

I go back and forth about Rosenman's score. Sometimes I like it, sometimes I only dislike the corny part of the main theme, and sometimes I find all of his music a bit off-putting.

I skip much of the score between meeting Shinzon and Picard's kidnapping. Almost everything before and after that is pure Goldsmith sex to my ears.

Just take a look at Joel. There's your Goldsmith sex.

• 2 weeks later...

I'm happy to name Star Trek Nemesis as my favourite score of 2002 and my favourite of the TNG era. Something about it clicked with me when I first heard it in 2004 (I was late on this one). It had all the right ingredients that I loved about Jerry's music at the time, moodiness, prominent synths, suspenseful rhythms, menacing bad guy motifs, and hints of majesty here and there.

I didn't mind the movie either.

And he did turn down scores like TOMB RAIDER and was rejected for a handful of others (THE KID, DOMESTIC DISTURBANCES), all united by one striking feature: they STANK!

It befits the potboiler movie. But Goldsmith never could and never did wrong when he brought on the macho french horn tunes.

And the big booming timpanis!

True. Nemesis was the last score composed entirely by him (Debney worked on Looney Toones), that wasnt rejected....

Wasn't it they had to rewrite and reshoot the ending, but Jerry wasn't available to rescore it? If so, as far as he was concerned, it was finished.

• 2 weeks later...

And he did turn down scores like TOMB RAIDER and was rejected for a handful of others (THE KID, DOMESTIC DISTURBANCES), all united by one striking feature: they STANK!

I didn't know he was first choice for Tomb Raider. That could have been a great score.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

I've lately been loving on the track "Not Functional"

It starts deceptively mundanely, and turns into this strange mixture of science-fiction and almost Gothic Horror around a minute in. The music could be just as appropriate for Dracula as it is for Shinzon.

By around 1:17, I could see this scoring a camera panning through the spires of a Gothic Castle Shinzon. ;)

I wonder if the blood-sucking nature of Shinzon explains some of the Gothic/Draculean flavors Goldsmith went for? Hell, Shinzon's henchmen were fucking Nosferatu look-alikes.

Listening to this score again. I bloody love this score. The eerie dissonance, the anguishing finality, the pulsating Reman rhythms, the majestic callbacks to TMP.

There's a lot of powerful anger, ferocity and tension in this music - I think a lot more thought and emotion went into it than most perhaps realise. Many accuse it of autopilotisis and think it sounds lethargic and past its prime, and while that may be true to an extent, I think the menacing atmosphere and bombast maintains the momentum all throughout.

It remains a controversial entry because not everyone can seem to agree over its quality, but I think that speaks well of its power since we're still discussing it indepth 12 years later.

I've always felt the complete score gave it more depth than the OST, especially now that we have the real complete version with nothing missing. People were in the right to shit on the OST because of how bad of a listening experience it is.

I have read quite a few posts on both here and FSM that people have changed their minds about this score and now like it because of the Deluxe Edition. I do feel that people need to get this one more of a chance in complete form. There's a lot of interesting material and I'm glad that Goldsmith was able to score it.

• 1 year later...