BloodBoal

Indeed. I think this is great idea, scouring the planet for great talent! Well, "planet" is not exactly right. The competition is restricted to people living in the US, Australia, Canada, Germany and Sweden(!) only.

Indeed. I think this is great idea, scouring the planet for great talent! Well, "planet" is not exactly right. The competition is restricted to people living in the US, Australia, Canada, Germany and Sweden(!) only.

Rich white people countries!

Traumatized victims on Dr. Phil and Oprah, telling their horror stories on how they were forced to work according to a grueling and creatively stifling business model!

"White keys only!" He screamed in German...."WHITE KEYS ONLY!"

This would be cool if it was actually a composition contest. But it isn't. You're supposed to use the stems (the samples of the theme they give you) they give you and out it together in any combination you see fit. How is that composing?

*sigh*

If I can pop my head out of the tireless Zimmer bashing and cheap oneliners for a brief moment, an aspect of his career that has always impressed is his eye for talent and the way he recruits great composers -- whether it's through Remote Control or his collaborative efforts otherwise. This is a new strategy -- maybe just a one-off, but intriguing nonetheless. I'd love to see what comes of it. Of course, the winner doesn't automatically get employed, he or she only lands the opportunity for a job interview.

I'll be following this contest with great interest.

Who gives a shit? This theme sounds so epic, it makes me want to become a composer!

Oh, and additionally, it gives me a boner.

I very nearly spit my coffee at the screen :lol:

I wasn't bashing Zimmer, I'm just pointing out my confusion for this contest. Can we submit original material while using his theme, or is it just editing together his clips? Since it looks more like the latter, how is this scouting for compositional talent?

I wasn't bashing Zimmer, I'm just pointing out my confusion for this contest. Can we submit original material while using his theme, or is it just editing together his clips? Since it looks more like the latter, how is this scouting for compositional talent?

You kind of answered your own question.

Any of you read the actual page? This isn't a composing gig for RCP, it's for Extreme Music/Bleeding Fingers, who specialize in creating large sample libraries used in reality TV shows and trailers. They're using HZ as a marketing tool. Most of the old MV crew did a lot of work for Extreme Music.

*sigh*

If I can pop my head out of the tireless Zimmer bashing and cheap oneliners for a brief moment, an aspect of his career that has always impressed is his eye for talent and the way he recruits great composers -- whether it's through Remote Control or his collaborative efforts otherwise. This is a new strategy -- maybe just a one-off, but intriguing nonetheless. I'd love to see what comes of it. Of course, the winner doesn't automatically get employed, he or she only lands the opportunity for a job interview.

This would be cool if it was actually a composition contest. But it isn't. You're supposed to use the stems (the samples of the theme they give you) they give you and out it together in any combination you see fit. How is that composing?

How do you answer that, Thor?

He's right. This isn't composing, it's digital brick laying.

If its anything, its arranging (or whatever the term is).

It's not even arranging. It's editing a bunch of tracks.

This thread is one big circlejerk of musical ignorance.

How? Putting aside the Zimmer jokes, I think valid points about this contest are being brought up.

If its anything, its arranging (or whatever the term is).

It's not even arranging. It's editing a bunch of tracks.

This thread is one big circlejerk of musical ignorance.

How? Putting aside the Zimmer jokes, I think valid points about this contest are being brought up.
Well, putting aside the Zimmer jokes, there's little being said about Zimmer. ;)

And Faleel I think explained what the contest is all about well enough. It's more about arranging and the sort of thing that we know folks in Zimmer's "band," or in this case whatever the musical group is, are expected to know how to do, rather than outright composing.

*sigh*

Answer what? If you listen to the clips, you'll see that many of them have taken the Zimmer template in many different directions -- some good, some not so good. But the good ones are clearly made by people with good composition chops too. It doesn't really matter what he's looking for, though -- composers or arrangers. The interesting thing here is the method of recruiting.

To be honest, the constant Zimmer bashing and cheap shots made in this thread (and elsewhere) is the very reason I don't feel comfortable in this place. And it doesn't really have anything to do with the fact that he is one of my favourite composers -- I would have felt the same way no matter who it was. I take my film music interest very seriously, and I appreciate good, constructive debate (whether pro or con). I detest cheap shots and personal attacks. Just drags everything down to kindergarten level, IMO.

*sigh*

Answer what? If you listen to the clips, you'll see that many of them have taken the Zimmer template in many different directions -- some good, some not so good.

I don't think you understand. The clips aren't separate pieces, they are the different instrumental instrumental groups or 'stems' that made up the original piece (strings, trombones/horns, trumpet, synths, male chorus, wailing woman, percussion etc.). These were all recorded separately which each pass, a modern technique known as 'striping.'

Yes, I know, but I'm not sure about the relevance?

If you listen the various remixes, you'll hear that the applicants have taken those stems and ran with it -- even added their own elements.

Besides, it's beside the point WHAT this contest is for. My interest was in the method of recruitment.

Exactly. I just read the rules, and apparently you have to use those stems, any compositions not using those stems will not be considered and removed during the judging time.

Which begs the question, who exactly is this contest aimed for? I mean there's only a finite amount of competitions you can do in a 90sec interval with a set of pre-determined clips. Where does the creativity and "composing" part come into it? I guess you can modify the stems with some techniques...but I then this contest becomes something else.

My guess is that the competition is for good composers who have great skills in arrangement. John Williams would have been good at this back in the day.

My guess is that the competition is for good composers who have great skills in arrangement. John Williams would have been good at this back in the day.

But the level of musical sophistication in those days was higher by a wide margin. The narrow realm of RCP-instant-brew cloning offers you relatively few opportunities to show off beyond 'i can do louder'. I have listened to some of the clips and aesthetically they are depressingly mundane.

But the skill being measured isn't arranging though. You have much more freedom with writing arrangements, and that's very much a musical skill. The most you can do here is digitally enhance or distort the provided sounds, and determine their placement in the selected time interval.

I wonder if any of you have actually HEARD the submitted clips? Sure, there's a great deal of 'meh' material there (that's natural when you go out so broadly), but also some really good ones. So good, in fact, that it doesn't only require an arranger of some talent, but a COMPOSER of some talent. It's a bit like that cooking program where the contestants get a package of raw materials and make the best dish out of it that they can. I think that's quite an interesting idea.

Which is why it is apt to use the old adage 'the proof is in the pudding'. I'm looking forward to hearing the winners.

But I have to reiterate again that my interest isn't so much in the contents of this contest as it is the way it is being done.