Dreamworks To Remake Ghost In A Shell Into A Live Action Movie

A24

It seems it opened one week earlier in China than Japan, so the Japan numbers aren't on that list yet.

1 hour ago, BloodBoal said:

Yeah, not gonna happen.

Have petitions ever made a difference when it comes to releasing a product?

apparently it did for the first Transformers score album....in any case this is just a way to show TPTB that there is demand.

apparently Balfe's management are 'working on' getting the score released for sure (and he's been sharing the petition with people too)

• 2 weeks later...

Couple updates on the petition (we're at 800 signatures and counting: https://www.change.org/p/paramount-release-the-ghost-in-the-shell-2017-soundtrack-gitsost/)

We got a response from Pilou Asbaek, who played Batou, saying he'll talk to director Rupert Sanders:

And I wrote this article to increase awareness of the situation:

"Something happened to the Ghost in the Shell soundtrack, and hundreds of fans want answers."

https://medium.com/@firasd/something-happened-to-the-ghost-in-the-shell-soundtrack-and-hundreds-of-fans-want-answers-477706053561

We also got a retweet from Lorne Balfe a few hours ago, this tweet: https://twitter.com/gitsost/status/856958213735858176

The current stumbling block is that we don't know the cause of the delay or who the main decision-maker is. We're focused on trying to get a response from Lakeshore Records, the label which has issued no comment beyond saying they're not going to release. Someone on Youtube claims to have gotten this message from Lorne: "No news at the moment . I think if there is enough of a request on social media then there will be a release". Meanwhile Clint Mansell has said nothing about GITS.

20 hours ago, Koray Savas said:

Probably because his music was replaced and/or because of NDAs. 

He's definitely in the credits... if it's an interpersonal issue--try to get over it Clint!! (lol) Free the music!

Some updates...

We've hit 1000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/paramount-release-the-ghost-in-the-shell-2017-soundtrack-gitsost/

I got this response from the record label PR:

"Thank you for writing.  I have received this and passed it along to the appropriate parties at Lakeshore.  Unfortunately I don’t have any answers to give as I don’t know the status at this time."

To get traffic to the petition from Youtube, I made this montage of the GITS OST clip played over scenes from Blade Runner, Robocop, The Matrix, Ex Machina and Westworld:

And Lorne Balfe (just today) started retweeting people who are telling Lakeshore Records to release the album, including this from the campaign twitter: 

So now (besides finding ways to drive traffic to the petition) we're just going to start tagging the record label on social media all the time, until they respond or block us.

Hollywood better stop dragging their feet, The People want this atmospheric cyberpunk album!

9 hours ago, firasd said:

Some updates...

We've hit 1000 signatures https://www.change.org/p/paramount-release-the-ghost-in-the-shell-2017-soundtrack-gitsost/

I got this response from the record label PR:

"Thank you for writing.  I have received this and passed it along to the appropriate parties at Lakeshore.  Unfortunately I don’t have any answers to give as I don’t know the status at this time."

To get traffic to the petition from Youtube, I made this montage of the GITS OST clip played over scenes from Blade Runner, Robocop, The Matrix, Ex Machina and Westworld:

And Lorne Balfe (just today) started retweeting people who are telling Lakeshore Records to release the album, including this from the campaign twitter: 

So now (besides finding ways to drive traffic to the petition) we're just going to start tagging the record label on social media all the time, until they respond or block us.

Hollywood better stop dragging their feet, The People want this atmospheric cyberpunk album!

Not to rain on your petition, but 1,000 people is hardly a significant number from a business perspective. And in the end, I highly doubt it's a matter of whether Lakeshore wants to do it or not. I guarantee other unknown factors are preventing its release. 

On 2017-4-30 at 8:50 AM, Koray Savas said:

Not to rain on your petition, but 1,000 people is hardly a significant number from a business perspective. And in the end, I highly doubt it's a matter of whether Lakeshore wants to do it or not. I guarantee other unknown factors are preventing its release. 

Yeah but that's 1,000 people who found out about the petition, went to the site, filled out the form...

Meanwhile snippets of the score on youtube such as this video already have tens of thousands of views.

This is only 90 seconds of the score! 

About "other unknown factors", I think you're right actually.

This is why we've started started going after Paramount too ;).

Check the replies to tweet. We're going to keep it up every day for months on end

The film is out on Korean VOD, here are the credits for the two recording sessions. No mention of official score release in the credits, just the Inspired By album so they must have cancelled it when the film was finished.

X5UlhR8.png
2ISd2BT.png

That credits screen is very helpful, thanks! I managed to track down about four people on Twitter who acknowledged or mentioned GITS in some way and asked them to check out the petition. Will also share the screen with with our Twitter followers.

Update: we just got retweeted by Matt Dunkley. So regardless of why Clint is quiet, it's good to know that the ENTIRE Mansell-affiliated team hasn't taken a vow of silence about this movie, haha

• 2 weeks later...

No breakthroughs yet but I just wrote this to encourage journalists to look into the situation, Lorne retweeted it.

"The biggest Hollywood mystery of 2017 is being questioned online, and ignored by mass media"

https://medium.com/@firasd/the-biggest-hollywood-mystery-of-2017-is-being-questioned-online-and-ignored-by-mass-media-2d800106934c

(Also, thanks for the credit screens, I started a blog for the campaign and posted them there:

https://medium.com/@gitsost/ghost-in-the-shell-2017-score-credits-7e5d9a5af324)

The head of La La Land Records has posted about this

MV, is there any chance LLL would release the Paramount Ghost in the Shell 2017 score?

The Internet rumour mill on this one was that it was supposed to come out via Lakeshore, and was cancelled. I know that you guys have been doing a lot of Paramount stuff. Thanks for your time.

There will be no Ghost in the Shell score release

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

6 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

The speculative gossip is that a release blocked by Mansell's camp who were miffed at Balfe being brought on at the end, right?

My info suggests the problem is Paramount. But I suppose both things could be true at the same time...

8 hours ago, BloodBoal said:

I wouldn't say this is a paramount problem. That's pushing it. There are things in life way worse than Ghost In The Shell not getting a CD release.

To quote Batou from the movie, "Funny."

So to clarify, I meant Paramount as in, Paramount Pictures...

giphy.gif

It's interesting though, if Clint is unhappy about GITS he hasn't blocked us on Twitter. We tag him all the time, lol. Good poker face. (Same for Lakeshore Records for that matter. They could have muted us though...)

The studied silence and non-reaction from all major parties involved about what actually happened to this album is very odd... I'm hoping as our campaign grows, and hopefully crosses over to media etc., at some point someone says something.

It also kinda annoys me that Lakeshore PR first told me "I don't know the status at this time" then 2 weeks later when I followed up said "nothing at this time." What does that mean? i.e. Is 'at this time' just a way of phrasing or are they leaving the door open? Who knows...

Let's see what happens... it takes almost no effort to make a couple posts a day about this so our campaign can continue indefinitely...

By the way here's a heat map of the 91 countries from where people have signed the petition so far. Looks like we still need to work on reaching out to Kenya and Kazakhstan

Heat maps? Really? You know that sometimes being pushy about something makes people want to help you less?

You remind me of that brony guy from awhile back that got banned from all the message boards. 

28 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Heat maps? Really? You know that sometimes being pushy about something makes people want to help you less?

You remind me of that brony guy from awhile back that got banned from all the message boards. 

Not sure what you mean exactly... are you saying I'm posting in this forum too much? (I can certainly stop that if that's what you feel.) Or being pushy towards someone else?

I just feel like hammering it over people's heads constantly isn't going to make matters better.

My reference is to a poster who desperately wanted My Little Pony music released and did all these crazy petitions and even drafted essays about why it deserves a release and eventually boiled down to harassing soundtrack producers and rights owners and he got banned everywhere.

13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

I just feel like hammering it over people's heads constantly isn't going to make matters better.

My reference is to a poster who desperately wanted My Little Pony music released and did all these crazy petitions and even drafted essays about why it deserves a release and eventually boiled down to harassing soundtrack producers and rights owners and he got banned everywhere.

Ah. Well don't worry, Paramount (Viacom) is a $13billion corporation. Our campaign would need to be 100 times bigger to even get on their radar, and much bigger than that before we can even begin to be pushy. That's the plan!

"First they whitewash the characters, then they whitewash the music."

I wonder how much it has to do with the controversy and how it tanked at the box office?

I highly doubt it had anything to do with the controversy, rather the change of composer late in the game. Of course, the fact the movie wasn't a big success certainly didn't encourage them to release the music.

The campaign is officially pointless:

On 5/12/2017 at 11:18 AM, Jay said:

The head of La La Land Records has posted about this

MV, is there any chance LLL would release the Paramount Ghost in the Shell 2017 score?

The Internet rumour mill on this one was that it was supposed to come out via Lakeshore, and was cancelled. I know that you guys have been doing a lot of Paramount stuff. Thanks for your time.

There will be no Ghost in the Shell score release

MV

http://filmscoremonthly.com/board/posts.cfm?threadID=118900&forumID=1&archive=0

Yeah people have brought that post from LLL to my attention but it's kinda irrelevant. The situation when we started the campaign was that Paramount wasn't going to release it, so the fact that another label says it won't be released doesn't really change the situation.

To paraphrase JFK, we choose to get the Ghost in the Shell OST released, not because it's easy, but because it's hard!

• 2 weeks later...

So here's something interesting, Kevin Kiner posted this "The Leap" track to his website http://www.kevinkiner.com/music/

If I'm hearing this correctly, it seems like something we've heard in the actual film's credits, the instruments have changed (skip to 5:45)

So these two tracks could be indicative of the kinda changes that occurred.

Another track from Kevin Kiner for GITS... apparently eventually unused in the film itself

We need a double album of these Clint Mansell sessions and then the finished Balfe tracks (okay, a man can dream)

• 2 months later...

Looks like Lorne Balfe is going to post a couple cues from the score... wow this feels like a big deal after the months of social media activism for the OST

It's crazy Mansell's half of the score can't be released. 

I finally watched the film the other week and after all the hubbub over being racially insensitive with the casting of Major, the film was okay, if a bit too sparse on the world-building. The film actively tries to explain why Scarlett Johannsson isn't Asian, but is a shell for the consciousness inside her. 

Effectively all of the SJW activism and bad word of mouth ruined the film which is a real shame because there wasn't anything too negative to take away from the film and there was an obvious craft involved in the production, it didn't seem like a cash-grab or another Marvel film.

I hope we eventually get to hear the alternate opening music which feels kind of underwhelming after Balfe's involvement.