OmniPublishing releases BATMAN in full score

ShowUStheHOOK

I wonder if this is a limited release as Scissorhands..

And i really hope someday we get BATMAN RETURNS, Elfman's masterpiece in my opinion.

The cat's and the penguin's themes are exquisite!

Not to mention the action cues.

(and i love that build-up to the Batman theme in the main titles!)

I wonder if this is a limited release as Scissorhands..

And i really hope someday we get BATMAN RETURNS, Elfman's masterpiece in my opinion.

The cat's and the penguin's themes are exquisite!

Not to mention the action cues.

(and i love that build-up to the Batman theme in the main titles!)

agreed about the build up to the batman theme in RETURNS. I would like to see SLeepy Hollow in print. The only treatment that ever got was a marching band arrangement. I've seen it. When you replace violins with saxaphones, sleepy hollow loses something

Yup...it's here for you fans of Danny's dark comic opera. Nicely done too. The odd mistake here and there but lovely to own......hope he does loads more.

this is limited to 1000.

http://www.omnimusicpublishing.com/

T

Where did you read that it's limited to 1000?

i don't think Edward was 1000 either..

edit:

it was 100!

http://www.jwfan.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=22996&p=938035

edit2:

It says "Temporarily out of stock" about Batman.

This hugely popular book sold out overnight! Omni Music apologizes for the inconvenience, but we are currently doing a second printing. Be sure to subscribe to our mailing list below to be informed when new books are ready.

some are.....there is a transposition issue with the trumpets , horns and clarinets on the opening C# Maj chord on bar 12. Basically they are not transposed...so the chord is wrong. I haven't finished putting all of the main title into sibeluis yet. Just the strings, and so far fine. The time signature has been changed from 4/4 to 12/8. so in Sibeluis the whole playback slows down and you have to enter a new tempo value. Im not sure why there isn't one in the score at the meter change. The original just has tuplets in 4/4 which from my scores seems to be the much preferred option in hollywood. Asteroid Chase being an obvious example. The beat certainly feels like 4/4.

There are a couple of mistakes with the french horn in "shootout". There is in a scott smalley lesson where he goes into great detail abouth the various orchestrations of the "BATMAN " motiff. One of them unfortunately is written incorrectly here . The horns star on C in unison but split by the third beat to be playing a c, d#..dyad.....this isn't in this score.

But these are little things and i'm sure they will get corrected. Overall it's beautifully done and a must have for me. I'm sure anybody owning it will be most happy. It is such a rare occurrence that a big score like this get's the full treatment i think we have to pull out all the stops and support it so they keep coming. I have SUCH a long list of hopefuls.....like i am sure many of you do.

T

I don't understand.

In other places the transposed instruments are transposed and in others they aren't?

keep in mind of course, that some film scores are written in concert pitch (for all the instruments)

(by the way, in the original the instruments you say are written in concert pitch at bar 12)

The time signature has been changed from 4/4 to 12/8. so in Sibeluis the whole playback slows down and you have to enter a new tempo value. Im not sure why there isn't one in the score at the meter change.

The classical convention here would be to write 'l'istesso tempo', which means the tempo remains constant as the metre changes.

I don't understand.

In other places the transposed instruments are transposed and in others they aren't?

That's what he's saying-- it's constantly switching from concert score to transposed score.

so far...mind you I have only done the first cue....i have found two four bar instances where the transposing instruments are not written in concert. for the rest of the cue they are .....

keeps you on your toes.

t

it's in the "orchestration for brass" seminar. There is one lesson just on the recurring Batman theme in the cue " Shootout." Insane brass section 6 horns , 6 trumpets 6 trombones 2 tuba's.........nuts.

T

• 4 weeks later...

Ordered my copy of it yesterday.

I may have missed buying Edward Scissorhands (which I'd be deeply grateful for if Omni would push for a second 100 set of ES for international release), so when I saw that Batman was available, I just had to buy it right then and there.

Looking forward to reading the score while listening to the music. From what I'm reading here, it should prove to be an invaluable addition to my growing music library.

Review of the book:

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2014/2/28/review-omni-music-publishing-batman-1989-sheet-music-collection#sthash.8dEOirjK.Y9YMWMSR.dpbs

Are those unused cues included in Lalaland release?

5M4 Morning After
6M1 Board Meeting
9M2 Vicki Hides Film
10M1 The Truth
11M1A "...Or Their Sons"
11M5 Joker Flies To Gotham

I don't see any matching titles, except for Joker flies to Gotham

I have been reading my copy of the full score thoroughly while listening to the music and I must say...

I love every note of it! :) Definitely two thumbs up! (Y) (Y)

I have known for some time that Elfman uses a specific palette of instruments to makes sure that you can hear the melody line. What I wasn't aware of before I bought the score was how big the ensemble was, and yet thanks to his orchestration techniques and instrumentation choices, I can clearly hear everything from the main title to the cathedral chase despite the wall of notes.

For the best example I've heard, the Main Theme is separated by several octaves, which provides the advantage of a full bodied sound while simultaneously allowing you to easily hear each section of instruments clearly.

I could write more, but I just gotta get back to listening and reading again so I CAN write more.

Can't wait for the next full score to come out. Oh, and if someone from Omni Music Publishing is reading this:

Push Fox Film Corp for an international release of Edward Scissorhands in full score. I don't care about the disclaimer in red text. I'll pay double or even triple the retail price for that score.

The last set sold out, so everybody won... unless Fox Film Corp and Omni Music Publishing are against making more money. ;)

Joker Flies To Gotham was the only one of those that was actually recorded.

Oh, I see...

According to this review 'Joker's muzak (LLL Disc 2 track 24)' is really the unused 10m1 The Truth.

Very interesting, thanks for posting that link. Here's the quote:

Another interesting discovery was La-La Land records mistake about "Joker's Muzak" (unused cue). In their liner notes they say that, "Joker's Muzak" was to be played on the henchman's boombox, during his scene in Vicki's apartment, but was replaced by Beautiful Dreamer. This is incorrect. The cue has nothing to do with the Joker. Instead, it has more to do with the relationship between Bruce and Vicki. The correct name of this cue is 10M1 The Truth. According to the cue's scene description, the music is to begin a second after Alfred suggests to Bruce that he should try telling Vicki, "The Truth" and it ends when Bruce pushes Vicki on the chair. I'm suprised that no one at La La Land figured this out, considering that the music sounds more in relation to Bruce and Vicki's Love Theme, than it does to any of Joker's Themes. There is no cue named, "Joker's Muzak" to be found in the book. My guess is that, if such a cue title did exist, it's possible that it's La La Land's easter egg bonus track found on Main Title (Alt. 2) since that sounds more Jokeresque

So "The Truth" has been recorded - I don't have the film with me right now - where does that cue fit in?

By the way, the reviewer's wrong about his guess that Joker's Muzak might possibly be the hidden extra.

The hidden extra is of course a wild take of Photos, with something else tagged on, which I think is the music box from "Beddy Bye", but isolated.

You guys know that's the same link filmmusic posted that started this whole conversation, right?

Review of the book:

http://www.batman-online.com/features/2014/2/28/review-omni-music-publishing-batman-1989-sheet-music-collection#sthash.8dEOirjK.Y9YMWMSR.dpbs

Are those unused cues included in Lalaland release?

5M4 Morning After

6M1 Board Meeting

9M2 Vicki Hides Film

10M1 The Truth

11M1A "...Or Their Sons"

11M5 Joker Flies To Gotham

I don't see any matching titles, except for Joker flies to Gotham

Quick question for those who have the book etc.: what is that solo instrument in Beddy Bye? It's a celeste, right?

Yes, it is.

You should know by now. The Elfman almost always uses a celeste in his scores.