Star Trek: Deep Space Nine

True. But I did read somewhere that most, of all of the CGI work from the later seasons was actually saved by the FX company. Meaning they can re-render it in HD rather then having to completely redo everything.

Could be a rumour though.

Far Beyond The Stars

Captain Sisko has a full sensory vision of himself as an under-appreciated science fiction magazine writer in 1950s America.

Star Trek has always been quite a liberal show when it comes to portraying race. While these days it's less unusual to have a black woman and an asian man among it's regular cast and NOT actually pay much attention to the fact that they are black or asian. In the 60's it was pretty rare.

When DS9 aired in 93, there was some attention paid to the fact that Sisko was the first black lead actor, but it's something the actual show never acknowledged in any way. There was never any need to do so.

Far Beyond The Stars is the first time that Sisko is confronted with that fact, though not as Sisko, but as the black sci-fi writer Bennie Russel, living in 1950's New York. In the time of the red scare, McCarthy-ism, and before Martin Luther King, JFK, Malcolm X and the civil rights reforms that would change a lot (though not everything)

This episode has in common with the Mirror Universe episodes that it's fun to see the regular cast do something else for a change. Shimmerman as a liberal bickering with Auberjonois as his cowardly, rigid boss. Penny Johnson as the sensible girlfriend of Benny Russel, supporting him even though shé prefer him to concentrate on something else. Nana Visitor and Siddig as a husband and wife writing team (continuing the writers in joke of hinter at the real worls situation of both actors). All of this is naturally fun to watch.

But there's a deeper, darker thread running though the episode that makes it more noteworthy then the Mirror Mirror stuff.

The theme of racism is touched upon in very obvious ways in some scenes. Bennie stopped by the police (Dukat and Weyoun), simply for walking on the street. But it's in it's more subtler guise that it lingers.

Sisko is usually addressed by the names Benjamin, or Ben. But Bennie Russel is called Benny by everyone, just a slightly more demeaning for of an otherwise impressive name. His co-workers in the office all support him, but only rarely is Bennie allowed to state his case fore himself. Bennie barely interrupts this, most likely because he's so used to it. Segregation, racism etc etc were so commonplace still in the USA in the 50's, that people were used to it. It wasnt something one could easily rebel against.

By going back to the 50's, the episode also goes back to it's own origins as slightly cheesy sci-fi. The writers, creative staff etc must have had a ball coming up with all this sci-fi stuff. It's a love letter of sorts to a time when sci-fi was seen as little more then a distraction.

The central performance of Far Beyond The Stars comes of-course from Avery Brooks, who portrays both Sisko and Benny, and directs the episode.

The key of the episodes success is that Brooks makes us care about Bennie, who is a lot like Sisko in many ways, but stripped of all authority. For a black man in the 50's he's done quite well working as a writer for a cheap sci-fi mag, but he's asked to take a day of when there's a press shoot, something that visibly hurts.

Even though we know he's some-kind of a hallucination, we care about Benny, his situation and the risks he's taking writing a story about a black captain in charge of a a station in space called Deep Space Nine (this episode is wonderfully meta). Bennie Russel goes from quiet resignation to barely contained fury, acted with the usual Brooks style.

Brock Peters returns in the double role of Sisko's dad, and a street preacher in the 50's. Speaking the words of the Prophets. Very few actors can act with such graven solemnity, and them create a wonderful warm smile.

This is a wonderful, dark, but ultimately uplifting episode, which caries a message without hitting it's viewer over the head with it. Well directed and acted, with a strong jazzy score by Dennis McCarthy. And like all good sci-fi stories, it doesn't wrap up everything neatly in the end.

Belongs in the series top 10, and one of Star Trek's best episodes.

One Little Ship

O'Brien, Dax, Bashir, and their runabout are reduced in size while investigating an anomaly. Meanwhile, the Jem'Hadar attack and commandeer the Defiant, leaving the runabout crew with no choice but to take their miniature ship inside the Defiant and help Sisko and the others recapture the vessel.

16 years before Doctor Who went Into The Dalek, DS9 did it´s own riff on The Fantastic Voyage or Honey I Shrunk The Kids, with a very inventive and fun episode with special effects that still look impressive today.

While obviously a comedy concept (cleverly illustrated by having Kira laugh her ass off by the concept of shrunken crew members) the episode isnt played purely for laughs. It's quasi winking/quasi serious tone works well.

There is an interesting angle of conflict between Jem Hadar from teh Gamma Quadrant and a new race bred for the Alpha Quadrant conflict that's never followed up on after this episode.

Better then average score by Chattaway too, with some rather Goldsmith-like horn work.

Fun fun fun!

I watched Vortex and Battle Lines. Vortex has always been one of my favorites...a nice Odo episode with a great guest star. Battle Lines is fairly average aside from Kira's moments. She was so awesome in the first season, before they gradually toned her character down.

Vortex is cool beacsue it's the first show to deal with Odo's origins, and use the word changeling.

I like that Kira mellowed a bit. She was as awesome in The Darkness and the light as she was in season 1 for me.

Honor Among Thieves

O'Brien, working undercover for Starfleet Intelligence, befriends the man he will have to betray.

This is one of those episodes that doesnt really ahve anything particulary wrong with it, but for some reason doeast really work.

I guess one problem is that the plot is pretty routine stuff that we have seen on cop shows time and again. A man goes undercover, and gets a bit too emotionally involved with the criminals.

It really isnt the kind of story that needs to be told on DS9, or Star Trek in general I guess. They put in a Dominion side plot to make it seem a bit more relevant to the show, but that just feels like window dressing.

The other problem is that ultimatly I dont buy O'Brien as an undercover operative. The man is Starfleets most normal, decent and honest man. He's not Rust Cohl!

The acting is solid though, and it does make for a change of pace. But since we know O'Brien, and know what side he is ultimatly one, it's already clear how the story will end. So there's no real suspense or surprise there.

Average episode, and actually more boring them most average DS9 episodes.

I've always liked it. I like it when they put these non Star Trek types of stories in Trek. I've always dreamed of an anthology series set in the Trek universe, but telling all kinds of stories from other "genres". And given that O'Brien has an established military past, I think he's the most believable (core) character for that kind of assignment.

O'Brien was a soldier, not a spy.

It all felt too familiar to me.

Change Of Heart

Worf and Jadzia travel to the badlands to procure some information on the Dominion from a traitorous Cardassian. Bashir wants to engage in a holo-suite spy simulation, but O'brian prefers to brush up on his tongo game after watching Jadzia lose to Quark.

I've always loved this one.

Star Trek usually doesnt do love stories very well, up until late in DS9. But even then they didnt actually do a lot with Word and Dax, even though they are married.

This story avoids the sit-com romance trouble from Let He Who Is Without Sin and You Are Cordially Invited and deal with their love in a far more serious manner. Terry Farrell actually gives one of her best performances and Dorn is excellent. His humourless sincerity is quite moving at times. And we finally see how good the match between the easy-going, sarcastic Dax and the uber-serious Worf is. This episode does a lot to intensify the loss that will be suffered later in teh season.

It also shows a new side to Worf, on TNG and DS9 usually defined by either his Klingon heritage or his duty as a Starfleet officer. This time he makes a choice to follow his heart, and face whatever consequences there are.

The B story has some nice scenes with Bashir and Miles, trying to beat Quark at Tongo. By this time the producers knew Farrell would be leaving, so I wonder if thats why they ressurected the Quark and Julian fancy Dax storyline. It's well done though.

It's an episode that's always a lot better then I remember it was. and probably the most honest when it comes to portraying a relationship.

Also, for quite a low key, character driven episode, it have have a rather excellent SFX scene with the Runabout flying throygh an asteroid field.

Well, I'm done with Lost. You lose.

Next up: A rewatch of BSG. Can you finish your Ron Moore series before I finish mine?

My girl pointed out that she had never seen the Ron Moore BSG series in complete order, and I wanted to put it on the docket but US Netflix will yank it October 1. Damnit.

• 1 month later...

Meridian...perhaps the worst Deep Space Nine episode overall? The storyline is ludicrous, everyone is out of character and it's just boring. I have a serious problem with everyone's attitude in this one, aside from maybe Quark and Odo? The problems are apparent right from the start. The first scene with Kira and Odo is cute, but it doesn't really make any sense. Kira's too strong a woman to have to use Odo to get some douchebag in a bar to leave her alone. What have they done to her character? Then, Jadzia is head over heels for this guy she just met and giving up her life for him. The real Jadzia would have just banged him and gave him her number. Julian apparently has no problem with any of this, which is also completely out of character. Sisko lets Jadzia go without much of a fight, no speech or appropriate kick in the ass. Sorry, I'm just not buying any of this. The ending is never explained as if it shouldn't even matter and inevitably the only good thing to come out of this one is Odo's reaction to Kira having him pose as her boyfriend.

• 1 month later...

My body awoke me at 5 this morning to finish In Purgatory's Shadow and By Inferno's Light. These are some of my favorite Star Trek episodes...ever! There are few moments more bone-chilling than when the Jem'Hadar First realizes he can't defeat Worf. Maybe he learned something about honor in those few seconds before he was vaporized. Anyway, utterly entertaining episodes between the prison break, Worf endlessly snapping guy's necks and the station on the brink of all-out galactic war. You've got the re-introduction of Martok (one of the best recurring characters on this show), Kira being badass again and, really, just excellent character moments all around. I love it. I still don't buy that Julian has been a changeling since Rapture, since he's been completely in character and the changeling version encountered in these episodes is noticeably different. I know the official story contradicts this, but I feel it's just a weird continuity thing. We'll just say that Bashir was replaced between The Begotten and In Purgatory's Shadow! I don't think the Martok changeling makes sense either, but whatever.

A couple episodes ago, I was reminded of this awesome bit of music, which is still unreleased:

Volume II is so necessary...

• 4 months later...

Inquisition

Dr. Bashir's plans to attend a medical conference at a breezy resort are canceled when Starfleet Intelligence boards DS9, suspecting the doctor of treason.

On the surfice this is a decent if otherwise unremarkable Bashir episode, Reminiscent perhaps of Whispers, or Distant Voices.

It features the intriguing idea that Bashir may be a Dominion spy, without him even realizing it. I like the way it using some o9f the more unlikely aspects of previous episodes to hint at this. Like why the Dominion let his Runabout remain in orbit of their prison camp. Or having Starfleet give sensitive information to a group of genetically engineered and mentally unstable asylum patients.

The sudden twist of having Bashir being beamed away by Weyoun also works very well.

This episode also has a layer that makes it more noteworthy then the average episode. It introduces the idea of Section 31, a covert section of Starfleet who deals with treats to the Federation in an "unofficial capacity".

This is another step in Ira Steven Behr's intention to show the darker side of the Federation, which started with the "It's easy to be a saint in paradise," speech in season 2's The Maquis.

Deputy director Sloan, as played by William Sadler becomes one of DS9's ever growing roster of interesting recurring characters. Appearing rather ominous in his gestapo-like leather suit.

The concept of Section 31 was controversial amongst many fans, as it went against the ideals of Starfleet and the Federation as seen in Star Trek and TNG.

Nevertheless it became very useful post 9/11 Star Trek. And the organization was used again in both Enterprise and Star Trek Into Darkness.

Overall a solid ep, with good acting, and a rare episode with no B story. It's follow ups would make it more significant.

In The Pale Moonlight

To save the Federation in a critical scheme, Sisko comes to realize that he must violate its fundamental principles to do so.

One of DS9's and indeed Star Trek's finest hours. Like the previous one it exposes a dark side of the Federation. The previous eoisode dealt with a shadfowy organisation called Section 31, but in this one it is Captain Sisko himself. Trying to come up with a scheme to get the Romulans on their side in the war he contacts Garak, and slowly gets in deeper and deeper in a web of deception and lies, each time having to justify his actions, which all go against his own personal ethics.

this is an excellent episode for Sisko, and Avery Brooks is once again outstanding as a man trying to do the right thing, for the greater good, even though he knows full well he's doing something wrong. The episode is at it's strongest near the end, when Sisko has gone over everything in his mind. How he lied, how he violated his own morality and how he is clearly complicit in the death of 2 people, and yet he maintains that he can live with it... Though at that point he seems to be trying to convince himself more then anyone else.

The breaking the 4th wall technique is something Star Trek rarely does, and it works very well.

It's also an great episode for Garak, who has grown rather sympathetic throughout the years. His actions here reveal that he is still very much willing to lie, cheat and kill to achieve something for what he considers "the greater good".

The way Garak justifies his actions to Sisko is a complete contrast to how Sisko does it. Garak doesnt need to convince himself.

Robinson is always a delight to watch when Garak is allowed to be a bit darker.

DS9 episodes usually dont have very flashy direction. But the careful editing during the "confession" scenes is rather striking. And there's a scene where Garak just seems to appear out of nowhere next to Sisko. Still very much the spy.

In The Pale Moonlight is an episode addressing the cost of war, and how far even good, honorable men are willing to sacrifice their own principles if it can help to achieve victory.

It's a very dark, but realistic story, even moreso considering it was done before 9/11.

Hey, my intervals between DS9 rewatches are about as long as it takes you to watch it once. I don't remember stuff for that long. ;) (Also I have 8 series of Doctor Who messing up my series memory)

His Way

Odo is schooled in the ways of romance by a holographic programmed lounge singer

In some ways this episode is a redo of the TNG episode where Data uses a hologram of a stand up comedian to teach him about humour. (The Outragous Okona, one of TNG's worst episodes)

That idea is better executed her.

I rather like the character of Vic Fontaine, even though I have a pet peeve about the so called "sentient" holograms that occasionally feature on Star Trek (I never understood why Yoyager's Doctor became more "human" just by having left running for so long then Data, a highly sophisticated android created by a genius). But Darren is fun in the role, and it's nice to see a character like that in the DS9 setting.

What also helps is Auberjonois performance as the shy, nervous Odo who's hopelessly in love, but unable to articulate himself. The conceit of Vic as cupid (even going so far as to set up a date between the real Kira and Odo) works because gosh-darnit...you want Odo to finally be happy.

As usual there are a few excellent character scenes. Odo convincing in Quark about his feelings and Quark giving him a hard time. Or Odo and Sisko softly singing together. Good stuff.

The episode does drag quite a bit. There is no B story this time, and there are one of two songs too many. (though I dont fast forward the one Nana Visitor does ;) )

I'm up to The Quickening this go-round. I've always liked the Bashir-centric ones and I swear it has nothing to do with my man crush on Julian. The Quickening...okay, first off, the plague is referred to as 'The Blight', which seems to be official terminology and 'The Quickening', which would seem to be informal local terminology? Yet, in a later episode where Julian is working on Romulus as a Section 31 agent, Koval calls it 'The Quickening'. Eh, whatever, that isn't really an issue. Also, Kira hangs out in a nebula for how long in this episode?? Anyway, here we have this series doing the Star Trek thing as opposed to the DS9 thing, removing the characters from the station and dumping them on an alien world for the episode. Sometimes it doesn't work (the one where Jadzia falls in love with some guy, I'm referring solely to you), here it does. I feel like any time they have a situation where they throw a Doctor in with people suffering/dying, trying to find a cure, it's just entertaining. I liked Julian's story about his teddy bear, which we actually see later on in the series in another memorable episode. I also liked seeing Jadzia with her hair down.

The Reckoning

Spiritualists on Bajor summon Captain Sisko to the planet surface, where they show him a stone tablet with some unknown inscriptions. Once on DS9, the inscription reveals an ancient prophecy of coming disasters surrounding the wormhole, Bajor, and DS9, as those around him voice their uneasiness about Sisko being an Emissary for the planet.

The Reckoning is another step in Sisko's acceptance of his role as Emissary, as his faith in the Prophets becomes so strong that he trusts them with the life of his son.

Dax even comments on Sisko's change in that regard. How he calls the Prophets now rather then wormhole aliens. The episode examines the religious beliefs of several characters. From Kira, who's faith is unwavering, to Odo, who has none, but has a respect for it. Sisko's faith is strong though he's frustrated by the role he is asked to play, Jake is scared and resentful because of what it does to his father (which is probably why the pah wraiths chose him as their champion)

And then there's Kai Winn. The episode spends some time establishing her as a somewhat tragic character. Who is forced to share her role as a religious leader with Sisko, the outsider, who has been in contact with the Prophets while they have never spoken to her.

Some subtle seeds are planted that will play out in the latter part of season 7.

Central in this episode is the division between those who live a life wrapped in the blanket a certain faith, yet arent able or willing to distinguish it's teachings from their own ambitions, and those who fully commit to it, even if they don't understand it.

As always the conflicts between Sisko and Winn are interesting to watch. Winn resents that Sisko took an ancient tablet from Bajor without consulting her.

It's actually a fair argument, and I kept wondering who they didnt just take a holo-imagine of it, since they only brought it to the station to decipher the ancient writing. Seemed like a bit of a plot error.

But of-course Sisko destroys the tablet after getting an irresistible urge too. So the gods made him do it! ;)

The episode builds to a cataclysmic duel between good and evil, which actually just has Kira and Jake standing in the Promenade surrounded by visual effects. It kind is reminds me of the Happy Potter wand battles, which in the end are just two characters pointing at each other.

But everything around this confrontation does help to give it some weight at least.

Good episode.

Valiant

Jake and Nog's runabout come under attack from the Jem'Hadar, and are rescued by the Valiant, a ship manned by Red Squad, a elite group of young Starfleet cadets.

One of many DS9 episodes that deal with the consequences and the cost of war. But it's one of the lesser ones.

The premise is interesting. Jame and Nog get rescues by the Defiants sister ship, consisting of a crew of cadets. This could make for an interesting episode dealing with young people in a war. Given responsibilities that would allow them to rise above their youth and inexperience.

But I dunno, it all seemed fairly bog-standard. The episode deals with a guest of guest characters for the most part, and none of them really are very interesting. So when the final part comes, and they all get blown to bits, I only cared for Jake and Nog.

Not a bad one by any means. This episode appears to be hated by some, which is something I certainly dont see. But it's just not all then involving.

Though the battle scenes, and especially the destruction of the Valiant are well done.

"Valiant" was a good episode in my opinion. I remember watching it for the first time clearly. I haven't read this entire thread so this may have been mentioned, but the music in Season 5 "Call to Arms: Part I" is exceptional. I like the militaristic theme music when the Cardassians walk triumphantly into the station. (I haven't seen this episode since the 90s, though, so I don't remember the particulars)

I have always wanted to hear a more complete version of the Klingon opera that Worf listened to in "In the Cards."

There has never been an official release of the United Federation of Planets anthem that was played in "Take Me out to the Holosuite," either.

Valiant had some questionable guest stars, especially the girl that survives. She was a terrible actress! All I can figure is that she knew someone on the production. Not one of Trek's best moments, in my opinion, but still an entertaining episode.

Valiant had some questionable guest stars, especially the girl that survives. She was a terrible actress! All I can figure is that she knew someone on the production. Not one of Trek's best moments, in my opinion, but still an entertaining episode.

I kind of like that about Star Trek during that era. They had a very open mindset towards letting in fresh, untested talent. I think all the way through the end of DS9, they had the script submissions program, where anyone could submit a Star Trek script and if approved be brought on board to help get that script produced. That's how Ron Moore ended up on TNG (and eventually DS9 and a little bit of Voyager)