The actor/actress you just can't stand

Joni Wiljami

George Clooney because he doesn't play a role as much as he plays George Clooney in every role he does.

That's like saying you hate Cary Grant for being so Cary Grant. Actors are actors, stars are stars and they can't be measured by the same yardstick.

He's really good in The Descendants. In fact, I'd say his performance is a highlight of this film.

Karol

The thing with this is it's never final for me, because for every Ben Affleck there's an Argo and for every Tom Cruise there's an Eyes Wide Shut (among others).

Most actors I've disliked at one time went on to impress me in other things.

Apart from Jennifer Lopez. Can't stand her.

I like Clooney as an actor (he was wonderful in O BROTHER WHERE OUT THOU and BURN AFTER READING), but I can't stand the films he's directed.

Those two, among others, are fantastic performances. Clooney can seamlessly do character acting and personality acting. Will Smith is a personality actor (with maybe one or two exceptions). People go see his movies because they want to see Will Smith. Clooney has that;, and building off what pub said, he'll make millions with an Ocean's Eleven and then turn around and produce something no one will see like The American (great film). Brad Pitt is the same way.

Ever see Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind?

I can't tell most younger female actors apart these days. Except for the SNOW WHITE dame but that's because she's so engagingly annoying that her pouting face has secured her a special place in my memory.

The thing with this is it's never final for me, because for every Ben Affleck there's an Argo and for every Tom Cruise there's an Eyes Wide Shut (among others).

You know I felt the same way, couldn't think of anyone for that reason. But Jennifer Lopez... spot on.

George Clooney because he doesn't play a role as much as he plays George Clooney in every role he does.

That's like saying you hate Cary Grant for being so Cary Grant. Actors are actors, stars are stars and they can't be measured by the same yardstick.

Yet they can irritate just the same. Some stars just are more palatable, like Cary Grant. Clooney's playing Clooney just rubs me the wrong way for some reason. It sometimes works when the character he is playing has something in common with Clooney's roguish charm...

This is the reason why I think Up in the Air is his best performance. He's really riffing on his public persona there in a great, interesting way.

As for me, I'll say Julianne Moore. She can be great, but she's also given some incredibly annoying performances and single-handedly brought down good or great movies/ensembles for me, Magnolia chief among them.

You know I felt the same way, couldn't think of anyone for that reason. But Jennifer Lopez... spot on.
There is one exception: Out Of Sight.

It was written by Charlie Kaufman.

Well, I loved BEING JOHN MALKOVICH and ETERNAL SUNHINE but hated SYNECHDOCHE NEW YORK. Maybe I should give it a shot?

Well it's Clooney's directorial debut. ;)

Eva Longoria

Judy Davis

Janine Garafalo

Sean Penn

Tim Robbins

Mimi Rogers

Nicole Kidman

Cate Blanchett (mainly for that stupid carbon tax propaganda ad)

Natalie Portman (looks great but bloody hell she talks nonsense)

Kristen Stewart

James Franco

Jon Heder

He's really good in The Descendants. In fact, I'd say his performance is a highlight of this film.

Karol

Right! I forgot about that one...

I would say I have an intolerance for Kevin James movies

James Franco

James Franco! How I could forget his always amateurish performances and weak voice! It is like watching a bad school play when he is in a scene!

Have you never seen The Verdict? Paul can act!

Maybe them ape movie producers see Franco as the Charlton Heston of the 21th century . ;)

It will be a big challenge for Franco when he's finally going to bring that famous line! Will he be able to pull it off? Will he shout and cry convincingly?

Alex

It will be a big challenge for Franco when he's finally going to bring that famous line! Will he be able to pull it off? Will he shout and cry convincingly?

Alex

He will squeal like a stuck pig with that weak voice of his!

Franco isn't in the sequel!

Then count me out!

Gary Oldman was crazy good in Hannibal.

images_zps2433a5f2.jpg

I think Oldman is crazy good in most of his movies.

Pat Hingle will always be the best Commissioner Gordon!!

You need that slightly pudgy charisma of a man who can be believably an Irish (obviously whisky loving) commissioner.

I'm not convinced when I see Oldman as Gordon. I see Oldman with a hat trying to be Gordon but he never really becomes the character. It could be a case of miscasting or, like a said, the character simply isn't interesting enough for an actor to work with. Let me put it this way, it's Oldman's least interesting role. Best example? The so-called comic relief parts in Batman Begins with Gordon and the Batmobile are so totally not working.

Alex

Did I say hat? I meant glasses. Anyway, some kind of facial attribute that feels fake and that doesn't help me to believe in the character.

It's the most thankless part in the film and he makes the most of it. Completely forgot about who's playing it.

Karol

Can't you say anything negative about Nolan?

Alex

... says the Nolanite of JWfan!

Hmmm Nolanite. Sounds like something you cover your floors with.

Have you gotten yourself those cool new Nolanite floors yet? Durable and a bit faux-intellectual but otherwise dirt proof.

I love Pineapple Express so by extension James Franco is alright in my book.

James Franco used to be awful in his early days, but somewhere around Pineapple Express I really started to take a liking to him. He's fantastic in 127 Hours.