Marvel / Netflix : Daredevil, Jessica Jones, Luke Cage, Iron Fist (The Defenders)

Jay

Besides the blood-streaked action sequences, Daredevil’s bread-and-butter is long, muted conversations, and a few of these do represent the show at its best. But like too many genre shows with a prestige patina, Daredevil lacks dynamism. It initially seems like a bold choice to allow scenes to play out much longer and quieter than they would on regular TV, but that stylistic tic eventually becomes enervating. When nearly every non-fight scene is long and quiet, the result is a self-indulgent ponderousness.

Love the way this could work. Sounds like the reviewer suffers from ADHD.

• 2 weeks later...

I liked it. It's basically like Batman Begins but with an R-rating. Some of it might feel a bit formulaic for its intensity. Clearly, the superhero (of sorts) genres don't necessarily go well with gritty urban drama with a lot of graphic violence (for a thing like this, anyway). But it's still fairly coherent and quite enjoyable. Probably the fact they went with Netflix allowed them to push the boundaries further, as opposed to 200 million films. The acting is good all around.

It's good stuff. Not amazing, clearly not up there with many high-profile series. But another winner for Marvel.

It is also very self-contained.

Karol

Nice. I hope to watch it soon. I just finished Agent carter, which was really excellent - one of the best things to come out of the MCU for sure.

I liked Daredevil a lot. I'm glad they didn't overdo it with too many villains. This is actually Fisk's origin story becoming the Kingpin as much as it's Daredevils, and the focus on these two primary characters allowed the series to breathe easier. They let scenes play out nicely without rush. The fight scene choreography was excellent (one particular single-shot hallway fight stands out) and I was a fan of the overall look, writing and acting. Three cheers all around.

• 1 month later...

I think I posted the Punisher news before, maybe I did it in the main MCU thread.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I never heard of Jessica Jones before this slate of Netflix shows was announced. Her characters is newer and came after my time as a comic book reader. That said, I liked the atmosphere created by the first teaser. The second one retains that Marvel comedic bent. I looked her up and like that she's a private eye, that can play well. I liked their Daredevil series a lot, so this one's automatic. They have me until they lose me.

Daredevil

The first adult entry into the Marvel Cinematic Universe, and possibly it's finest hour.

This is essentially a slow-burn TV series, a product of the Golden Age of TV, rather then a TV extension of The Avengers or Captain America.

And while it might not quite have the depth and brilliance of lets say Breaking Bad, or True Detective, Daredevil gets a lot closer then I would have thought possible.

The cast is excellent, with the unknown to me Charlie Cox making a strong lead character. A blind man who spends his time both as a lawyer upholding the law, and as a vigilante beating people to a bloody pulp (the show doesnt shy away from proper violence).

Vincent D'Onofrio steals the show however with his performance of Kingping (always called Wilson Fisk in this show).

He creates the best, most captivating, layered and chilling villain of the MCU. The Marvel films have always suffered from rather generic baddies. D'Onofrio's Fisk is the exception. Enigmatic, but with a deeply shy and awkward demeanour which masks a ferocious temper, Wilson Fisk is a fascinating character to watch.

The whole cast is excellent btw.

I never read the comic, so I don't know if the similarity comes from the source material, but the show has a large stylistic similarity with the Batman films as done by Christopher Nolan. It asks some of the same questions about the role of a vigilante, and manages to say more with less dialogue. (though there is a lot of dialogue, well written. The show is full of lengthy character scenes)

Being a TV show it's obviously not as action heavy as Marvel's films, and that a good thing.

But the action is actually very good. Especially the impressive hallway fight in the second episode, done in one single take. (I like the fact that it doesn't just contain excellent martial arts choreography, but also moments when characters seem to stumble, need to catch their breath for a minute etc. It feels a bit more realistic then the polished fight-scenes we usually get.

Marvel's MCU films suffer a bit off late because every one of them seems to be made according to a set pattern. With a a big action scene every 15 to 20 minutes, and a massive climactic battle that takes up the last 30 minutes or so. Often well made, but always a bit too forgetable. With not too much actual substance.

Marvel's TV shows actually allow for more depth. Even the lightest of these (Agents Of Shield) has more diversity and shades of grey then the movies.

And with Daredevil Marvel shows that they can do better then Age Of Ultron or Thor: The Dark World. As long as there isnt a 250 million dollar investment involved.

And while it might not quite have the depth and brilliance of lets say Breaking Bad, or True Detective, Daredevil gets a lot closer then I would have thought possible.

And to everyone's astonishment.