Sydney Symphony Orchestra plays "John Williams: Music From The Movies" - 1 March 2014

CYPHER

Hi everyone!

Just found out about this concert today at the Sydney Opera House, by opening some mail (which I probably should have looked at earlier). As it turns out, tonight's concert is sold out and I have other plans anyway. :P There were apparently also concerts on 27 and 28 February 2014. Note that they were selling standing room tickets for $50, which I've not seen done before at the Opera House, suggesting it was quite popular indeed!

If anyone went, I'd love to see the playbill or get a review to see what music was played. Thanks! :)

Text copied from the website in case the link goes down once the concert date has passed:

Description

Music from the movies will be coming to the Concert Hall under the direction of David Robertson. From Superman to Star Wars, Schindler's List to E.T, hear all your favourites of John Williams music in a performance of those musical moments that made you shiver, thrill, cry and swell with emotion.

Imagine this. It's a John Williams concert. David Robertson tells the trumpets to keep their eyes on him. Why? Because he knows when the opening fanfare of the Superman March starts up, the concert hall is going to erupt with cheers and the only way those musicians will be able to stay together is if they watch like hawks.

John Williams brought the symphony orchestra back into the cinema with Star Wars - a sci-fi movie with a romantic heart and a sumptuous orchestral score to match. The movies have never looked back.

And now we bring the best of John Williams into the Sydney Opera House for a thrilling concert with David Robertson on the podium. Join us for all those musical moments that will make you shiver, thrill, cry and swell with emotion… and cheer!

JOHN WILLIAMS
Music from E.T, Superman , Empire of the Sun , Star Wars , Schlinder's List and more

CYPHER

PS - my first login since 2008! And I still remembered my password woot! ;)

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

CYPHER you're alive! :P

Hopefully it won't take another 4 years for you to return for another post. ;)

I went to this on the Friday - traveled all the way from little old New Zealand.

Concert was fantastic and David Robertson was very entertaining and obviously has great admiration for JW.

Acoustics I didn't like however - too much reverb. I went to JW conducting the San Diego Symphony and I think the acoustics were better there.

Programme: Jurassic Park theme, Amistad, Indiana Jones, Star Wars, Imperial March, Double trouble,Harry potter, Duel of the fates, Hymn to the fallen, Raiders,

Superman. E.T adventures on earth, Schindler's List (Jewish Town and theme) - Fantastic solo violinist really put soul into the performance which is what it needs!

Can't complain about the programme - fantastic selection slightly biased to his material post 1990 which is completely to be expected.

At times I thought the tempo was a bit too fast, but overall can't complain!!