Williams elected "Best Composer of the Year" in ColonneSonore.net Awards 2013

TownerFan

Congratulations Maestro! Looks like Williams garnered nearly half of all the votes. :)

Williams didn't do a lot in 2013, though. THE BOOK THIEF, the "Conversations" piece (that no one has heard yet), the "To the President's Own" fanfare. Anything else?

So how come he's the best foreign composer of the year but hasn't written the best foreign score? :sarcasm:

Of course Williams wins, since all the voters are film music fans and music lovers.

Actually, Williams' winning is more the exception than the rule. Just take a look at the prestigious awards of the International Film Music Critics Association, which pick more often than not scores as bad as those that win an Oscar. It comes as no surprise given the background (mostly non-musically schooled) of most of its members, but it's really sad that JW is so overlooked here and elsewhere.

Ouch. I'm an IFMCA member, scissorhands, and I wouldn't be so quick to judge the background of the membership without proper knowledge. I'm not sure what you think is so 'bad' with our nominations, though. If anything, we also pick several unknown scores that are overlooked in the "popularity contests" of other organizations -- in fact the only instance to do so. Most of us listen to hundreds of scores each year, and watch an equally high number of movies before we cast our nomination votes.