Alan Silvestri's Cosmos: A Space-Time Odyssey

Jay

• 2 months later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 2 years later...
13 minutes ago, Koray Savas said:

Intrada is releasing expanded versions of Silvestri's Cosmos volumes on CD.

A nice idea, but not if they're going to charge $22 for each disc. No one in their right mind should be paying $90 for Cosmos music. 

Ugh.  For real.

You can buy the existing four volume releases digitally for $34 and this initial CD volume only has two bonus tracks?  Rip. Off.  At least for someone like me who'd be perfectly happy buying most expanded soundtracks digitally.

I prefer CDs, but it's hard to look at digital prices and then look at Intrada's $19.99 pricetag for some of them. 

For instance, their Thor and Captain America releases - I just went digital, man.  I'll pony up the full price for music I know I'll love (for instance, their release of Elfman's Oz the Great and Powerful), but for something I have a passing interest in, a half-price digital download is more than enough to sway me from physical.

I did swing it for Silvestri's Avengers due to the bonus tracks.  So I guess if I cared about Cosmos, I'd probably go in for it too.

6 minutes ago, mstrox said:

I'll pony up the full price for music I know I'll love (for instance, their release of Elfman's Oz the Great and Powerful

If you had to pick 3 favorite tracks from that OST what would they be?  I listened to it once a few years and nothing really grabbed me.  I didn't see the movie either, though.

I don't have the album on my iPod currently, but I loved the score when I saw the terrible movie in theaters, so I can actually remember the parts. The O Canada Main Titles thing, the transformation of the witch into evil/green witch, the scene where they enter Munchkinland in bubbles, and the training montage were all highlights for me.

If I had to guess based on the online tracklist, I'd say - tracks 1, 14, 15, 21.

I'm a sucker for Elfman generally, even autopilot Elfman.  His Alice scores, Goosebumps, and Oz are all pretty good "big Elfman" scores, after a period where they had gotten pretty uninteresting for me (Wanted, Terminator 4, Hellboy 2, Dark Shadows, and MIB 3 were all so-so for me).

His "quieter" scores - which were a nice change of pace for a time, are now getting a little old to me (Fifty Shades 1/2, Girl on the Train).  Although The Circle had some really nice stuff.

I'm far from an Elfman naysayer, but I haven't really connected with a score of his after, say, 2004 or so.  Big Fish is the last of his scores that I fell really in love with.  There are individual cues of course, the Alice theme for instance.  I keep hoping I just missed something and one day one of the scores will just click with me.  I did really like his Ultron contributions but that wasn't even half a score, more like a third of a score.

1 minute ago, crocodile said:

What about Serenada Schizophrana or Rabbit & Rogue? These are good. Better than most of his film work in fact.

Karol

Yes!  I really liked Rabbit & Rogue especially but I must admit it's not something I've been returning to over and over after my initial few listens.  Not like with my favorite of his scores at least.  But agreed he has shown more inspiration in other media.

I like quite a lot of his modern stuff. Not everything but a lot of it. The Wolfman is among his finest works, Kilar-inspired or not. Less juvenile and a proper brooding Gothic horror score.

Karol

Just now, Disco Stu said:

Better than Sleepy Hollow?  I love that score in all its gothic glory.

Similar...but different. SH is a Tim Burton score. TW feels more like a classic horror. Less zany.

Karol

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

I'm going to listen to it!

Probably less entertaining than SH. But shows a more serious side of Elfman. Try not to be put off by close similarities to Wojciech Kilar. It's mostly the overture track. 

Karol

5 hours ago, Disco Stu said:

Yes!  I really liked Rabbit & Rogue especially but I must admit it's not something I've been returning to over and over after my initial few listens.  Not like with my favorite of his scores at least.  But agreed he has shown more inspiration in other media.

Check out Iris, his Cirque du Soleil score. Takes all the zany elements from his Burton scores and streamlines it into a more mature and unique listen.