Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

17 years old and already the main star in a Spielberg movie! Wow.

But seriously, I don't care much about this movie. I just wanna hear JW's contribution, that's all... And If JW wasn't doing the score, I probably wouldn't even bother to watch it!

Wow! That girl definitely earned this. As much as I enjoyed the 1961 film adaptation, I am really looking forward to this upcoming adaptation. If anyone can bring this to the big screen, it is Steven Spielberg. Tony Kushner is a really good screenwriter. Munich and Lincoln were phenomenal, so I look forward to seeing this. With Spielberg and his team of collaborators bringing West Side Story to life, this looks to be something special. I especially look forward to Maestro John Williams’ music. To think, he was a pianist in the recording of Leonard Bernstein’s music for the 1961 film adaptation. Now, it comes full circle. Maestro John Williams supervising, adapting and conducting West Side Story will be a real treat. I look forward to “America”; that is one of my favorite songs in the musical. Too bad it won’t be until next year in 2020. Heck, I am looking forward to seeing a first sneak peek of West Side Story.

On 1/16/2019 at 12:50 PM, The Illustrious Jerry said:

It was already a great movie. Why make it again?

Normally, I would share that sentiment. However, this is a unique case.

After revisiting the 1961 film a few times, it feels somewhat dated, and some key Puerto Rican characters were not portrayed by, well, Puerto Rican’s. Don’t get me wrong, George Chakiris did a great job as Bernardo, and Natalie Wood was unforgettable as Maria; I would not change that at all. Nothing will ever take away from the 1961 adaptation; it’s a classic.

That said, it will be great to see all roles being portrayed by actors that share the same background as the characters being portrayed. In fact, here is a couple of interesting articles which show the effort of accuracy looking to be attested:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/steven-spielberg-met-puerto-rican-activists-west-side-story-concerns-1176285

https://deadline.com/2019/01/steven-spielberg-west-side-story-cast-ariana-debose-david-alvarez-josh-andres-rivera-rachel-zegler-1202535002/

I have confidence in Spielberg and his team. This looks to be a treat. Now that I think about it, I have not seen a really great musical in a long time. The most recent musical I saw was Les Misérable; it was okay, but I had a few issues with it (Russel Crowe autotuned for one thing). The last great musical I saw (not counting Disney animated feature films) was Fiddler On the Roof. I heard La La Land was good, but I have no real interest in seeing it.

Anyway, I would not call West Side Story a remake. This is more of an adaptation of the original 1957 Broadway musical, and NOT a remake of the 1961 film.

3 hours ago, JohnnyD said:

I heard La La Land was good, but I have no real interest in seeing it.

La La Land was great and is probably one of my favourite films of the century. You should definitely make a point to see it.

While I can understand, eh, you're reasoning Johnny, I do not share it. Enjoy the film!

La La Land is one of the most pretentious, godawful pieces of shit I've ever wasted two hours of my life enduring.

I wish I could have that time back so I could waste it on something meaningful, like drinking alcohol.

21 minutes ago, crumbs said:

La La Land is one of the most pretentious, godawful pieces of shit I've ever wasted two hours of my life enduring.

I think they've stepped up their game with the release of the JW HP collection.

5 hours ago, Jay said:

I was bored, the songs did nothing for me, it was excruciating to get through.

That's disappointing. It's probably my favourite film of the century. 

22 hours ago, Jurassic Shark said:

No need to thank people for stating the obvious.

;)

Thanks Shark! :)*

*denotes me being able to say anything and still making it appear that it's done with a smile

On 1/16/2019 at 1:40 PM, JohnnyD said:

Normally, I would share that sentiment. However, this is a unique case.

After revisiting the 1961 film a few times, it feels somewhat dated, and some key Puerto Rican characters were not portrayed by, well, Puerto Rican’s. Don’t get me wrong, George Chakiris did a great job as Bernardo, and Natalie Wood was unforgettable as Maria; I would not change that at all. Nothing will ever take away from the 1961 adaptation; it’s a classic.

That said, it will be great to see all roles being portrayed by actors that share the same background as the characters being portrayed. In fact, here is a couple of interesting articles which show the effort of accuracy looking to be attested:

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/amp/news/steven-spielberg-met-puerto-rican-activists-west-side-story-concerns-1176285

https://deadline.com/2019/01/steven-spielberg-west-side-story-cast-ariana-debose-david-alvarez-josh-andres-rivera-rachel-zegler-1202535002/

I have confidence in Spielberg and his team. This looks to be a treat. Now that I think about it, I have not seen a really great musical in a long time. The most recent musical I saw was Les Misérable; it was okay, but I had a few issues with it (Russel Crowe autotuned for one thing). The last great musical I saw was Fiddler On the Roof. I heard La La Land was good, but I have no real interest in seeing it.

Anyway, I would not call West Side Story a remake. This is more of an adaptation of the original 1957 Broadway musical, and NOT a remake of the 1961 film.

To your last point, its not a major enough departure to draw the distinction, so to call it a remake wouldn't be wholly inaccurate.

I also think this is a completely unnecessary remake, I would have much preferred for Speilberg for his first and only musical to try something never done before but this is fine. I think at the very least it will have great direction. I am expecting some bravura single takes from Spielberg. 

La La Land is an outrageously overrated musical. It also seems to abandon the musical concept is the second half which is a normal movie if I remember correctly. 

I think Chicago and Moulin Rouge were both very good musicals and great examples of the genre. Les Miserables was awful. It had more shouting lyrics than singing. Mary Poppins has a good score but dunno if the movie is good.

I liked La La Land. Good plot. Fun and simple music/songs. However, the singing performances were just borderline average. Still not convinced Justin Hurwitz is an Oscar winning composer.

Whiplash is a masterpiece, one of Chazell's best. Didn't bother seeing La La Land because I'm generally not into musicals.

I wonder if they do bring Williams on to West Side Story if they'll write new songs and score. 

I adored Whiplash yet absolutely hated La La Land. And that's perfectly okay; art is subjective after all.

The music is fine in LLL, I just thought the film itself was pretentious garbage. A feature-length demonstration of Hollywood fellating itself.

Ahh, yes! Anxiety-inducing stuff.

I've always wondered if Williams has ever had moments like that teacher at recording sessions in the past. I read he was particularly stringent about the percussion passages on TLW but who knows it that's true.

Came across this, short quote from Sondheim about the movie, at 21:10

The script by Tony Kushner is absolutely brilliant as far as I'm concerned. It's quite different, not in plot and not the characters but in terms of treatment -- influenced, of course, by Spielberg and his imagination. 

7 hours ago, Alex said:

I heard he chucked a chair a Yo Yo Ma once during the Memoirs of a Geisha recording sessions 

Not to mention the "yo mama" insult he directed towards Yo Yo Ma.

On 1/21/2019 at 4:05 AM, crumbs said:

Ahh, yes! Anxiety-inducing stuff.

I've always wondered if Williams has ever had moments like that teacher

Too bad that is inaccurate!