Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

To me, a "musical" is a piece  entertainment (usually in the form of a film, or a play), that has songs that form an organic part of the whole, that is: the inner, or outer, thoughts and/or emotions, which are communicated to either characters, or the audience, via music and lyrics, and that these songs, in turn, help to move the story forward.

I don't see what's wrong with this idea. I can't say I'd be particularly psyched to see it (I'm more a fan of Shakespeare's original), but it could be interesting to see Spielberg take a crack at a musical...at least it wouldn't be another process drama.  Several Spielberg movies have been turned into musicals, so why can't he make one?

It's certainly a better idea than another Indy movie....the last thing we need is a fifth film in the Indiana Jones trilogy.

9 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

I don't see what's wrong with this idea. I can't say I'd be particularly psyched to see it (I'm more a fan of Shakespeare's original), but it could be interesting to see Spielberg take a crack at a musical...at least it wouldn't be another process drama.  Several Spielberg movies have been turned into musicals, so why can't he make one?

It's certainly a better idea than another Indy movie....the last thing we need is a fifth film in the Indiana Jones trilogy.

Spielberg + Musical = No single reason why it is supposed to be a bad idea

Honestly, if one director is the perfect one to direct a musical, then it's the guy who has always heavily focused on magnificent visuals in combination with breathe taking music.

But before that happens, I want fucking Montezuma and Robocalypse!!!

And please cancel Indiana Jones!!!!!!!!!!

20 hours ago, Nick1066 said:

Of course he can. I think he should, actually.

But I want a musical with original songs by Williams, dammit! That's the whole point of Spielberg doing a musical.

The track record isn't on their side. We all know about Spielberg's aborted HOOK musical, and Williams' own THOMAS AND THE KING is rather dreadful.

But I'll give them the benefit of the doubt. 

No question, though, that I rather see him do MORTARA or INDY 5 or something else than this.

Somebody needs to tell this Spielberg guy where to get off. WEST SIDE STORY is absolutely perfect, as it is. It does not need re-imagining, remaking, repositioning, re-establishing, sequelizing, updating, or altering in any way!

I'd look to see the look on his face when Universal decides to remake E.T.

30 minutes ago, Richard said:

Somebody needs to tell this Spielberg guy where to get off. WEST SIDE STORY is absolutely perfect, as it is. It does not need re-imagining, remaking, repositioning, re-establishing, sequelizing, updating, or altering in any way!

I'd look to see the look on his face when Universal decides to remake E.T.

West Side Story: The Sequel

-With flying dinosaurs!

2 hours ago, Once said:

But I want a musical with original songs by Williams, dammit! That's the whole point of Spielberg doing a musical.

Williams would probably be wise enough to stay away (not from the WSS re-'imagining', though, and that would be a colossal waste of creative time for another nostalgia-drenched 100 Mio. $ production that's as timely as granny's moth-ridden nightfrock).

1 hour ago, Stefancos said:

NEWS- "Spielberg to direct new film!"

JWFAN- "For fuck sake!"

NEWS- "Spielberg to direct new film that isn't either, based on a teen book, a completely unnecessary remake of a well-loved, and revered classic, or a fifth film in a now-moribund "adventure series", that should have been put to bed twenty years ago!"

JWFAN- "Bring it on!"

Just now, Richard said:

NEWS- "Spielberg to direct new film that isn't either, based on a teen book, a completely unnecessary remake of a well-loved, and revered classic, or a fifth film in a now-moribund "adventure series", that should have been put to bed twenty years ago!"

What is it that people want here?

28 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

I demand these long, sepia-toned reverential biopics:

Washington

Adams

Jefferson

Monroe

Van Buren

Johnson

Grant

Roosevelt

Taft

Wilson

Coolidge

Eisenhower

at the very least.

I'd like a Titanic cinematic universe. We can start with the Jack Dawson prequel. They can call it Dawson: A Chippewa Falls Story.

Seriously, though. It's not news to me that Spielberg is remaking a musical with a bunch of immigrants singing about how much they love it in America while Trump is trying to deport everyone. It's another political statement from liberal Spielberg.

51 minutes ago, Philippe Roaché said:

Seriously, though. It's not news to me that Spielberg is remaking a musical with a bunch of immigrants singing about how much they love it in America while Trump is trying to deport everyone. It's another political statement from liberal Spielberg.

Is it that what you took away from WSS?

23 hours ago, Stefancos said:

(throws ironing board across lounge, and goosesteps in circles)

WHAT. DOES. ANY. MAN. WANT!?

A little love, a little respect. I want someone to take care of me, for a change!

...and I'd like to see truly "original" films, made with integrity, and distinction. When was it that Hollywood served-up something that wasn't a sequel, prequel, reboot, remake, live-action adaptation, comic book franchise, or teen shit?

On 23/01/2018 at 1:25 AM, Philippe Roaché said:

These are the crazy left wing lunatics who call Americans "deplorables" and illegal aliens "dreamers".

I can see Williams being involved with the music, but all the songs as well... I don't know.  I suppose it's not new territory for him.  But if Williams passed on Ready Player One, it seems he would on this one as well.

I think it's a project right in John Williams's domain.

Then, JW knows very well the corpus of Bernstein (he conducted and recorded his music a lot) and... JW played the piano on the 1961 OST of West Side Story!

What do you want more? :)

p_4163601.jpg

Bernstein by Boston (1986, Philips, 416 360-1; Boston Pops O/Williams)

West Side Story (selection); Simple Song (from Mass); On The Town; Overture "Candide'; Divertimentos For Orchestra; Wonderful Town.

(Released in 1986, Philips, 416 360-2)

(Reissued for digital download in 2014, Decca)

8 minutes ago, Bespin said:

I think it's a project right in John Williams's domain.

Then, JW knows very well the corpus of Bernstein (he conducted and recorded his music a lot) and... JW played the piano on the 1961 OST of West Side Story!

What do you want more? :)

He even paid for his bust and has recently written a work for him.

I didn't know JW's playing on the OST. :)

10 hours ago, someonefun124 said:

But if Williams passed on Ready Player One, it seems he would on this one as well.

He only passed due to scheduling conflicts. He had to choose between The Post and RPO.

If he has no conflicts for WSS, I can't see why he'd pass on it. But Star Wars seemingly takes priority over Spielberg's films now, so it's possible IX could prevent him from arranging WSS.