Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

10 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He's a fast shooter absolutely. On set he's not Finchering - looking to find the film or something. 

He has every single take, edit, shot, set-up figured out.

When he gets on to the set, he's just quickly shooting economically exactly what he wants.

He does not have to do re-shoots. He knows exactly what he wants.

And his movies cut together quickly because he edits "in camera". 

In short, he's a proper old fashioned genius filmmaker.  Even with this being more ambitious, Speilberg would absolutely be able to turn this around for this year. So I do agree with those stating it's a studio mandated date and not his choice.

Knowing exactly what you want doesn't mean you'll get it on the first take. Maybe he's just quickly satisfied these days? His own yes man?

25 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

Knowing exactly what you want doesn't mean you'll get it on the first take. Maybe he's just quickly satisfied these days? His own yes man?

Spielberg has been known to shoot fast since Raiders.

Yeah he rethought his process after 1941. And by “no reshoots” I think Ulyssessian meant filming again after production wraps, not multiple takes. He’s not quite Clint Eastwood by all accounts.

I think the editing mentions are a little overstated in that post though. Spielberg’s talked about how he’s always surprised by what Kahn finds or how he will often shoot random inserts in case he might need them. It’s not that he knows every cut in his head because you can’t really until you learn the footage but he can prepare for most of the land mines by now, and naturally developed a flair early on, anyway, for filming stuff that cuts together well.

Ahh!

Yea I was wondering if I should add more reaction options or not.  We can have unlimited options I think

45 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Spielberg has been known to shoot fast since Raiders.

I'm sure Empire Of The Sun wasn't a fast shoot. 

58 minutes ago, Jay said:

Ahh!

Yea I was wondering if I should add more reaction options or not.  We can have unlimited options I think

I'm fine with what we have. And I don't want anything to potentially usurp the existing vomit emoji. I wish I could use it for texting on my phone.

51 minutes ago, Alexcremers said:

I'm sure Empire Of The Sun wasn't a fast shoot. 

Spielberg has shot on schedule and on budget since 1980. He learned from his mistakes on Jaws, Close Encounters and 1941.

9 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

I'm fine with what we have. And I don't want anything to potentially usurp the existing vomit emoji. I wish I could use it for texting on my phone.

There's no vomit option on the posts themselves.

2 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

Spielberg has shot on schedule and on budget since 1980. He learned from his mistakes on Jaws, Close Encounters and 1941.

What does he do if there's any money left?

Hopefully he gets this crap out of the way quickly so he and Hanks can move onto Masters of the Air for HBO.

3 hours ago, mrbellamy said:

Yeah he rethought his process after 1941. And by “no reshoots” I think Ulyssessian meant filming again after production wraps, not multiple takes. He’s not quite Clint Eastwood by all accounts.

I think the editing mentions are a little overstated in that post though. Spielberg’s talked about how he’s always surprised by what Kahn finds or how he will often shoot random inserts in case he might need them. It’s not that he knows every cut in his head because you can’t really until you learn the footage but he can prepare for most of the land mines by now, and naturally developed a flair early on, anyway, for filming stuff that cuts together well.

No these modern garbage directors, they have like 12 cameras running and they cut everything together and what not and they are trying different things and ad-libbing.

-

Take a great European director like Michael Haneke. No second unit cameras at all. There is only a single camera and the script is filmed word for word - literally not a single word can be changed by the actors. Every shot is meticulously choreographed and directed to the very last detail and most of the shots are very long takes. So a film like that - you could cut together in a week.

Luis Bunuel could literally have a cut ready 2 weeks after shooting. Speilberg is not quite to that level of formal control, though he could if he wanted to, but he's in the same territory. John Ford edited in camera too. Literally shot exactly what he needed and the footage just cut together very logically and seamlessly.

Some film-makers are born film-makers, they just have that gift. Speilberg is definitely one of them, atleast when he wants to be.

Sounds awful. Who would want to be an actor where there is no acting just recitation.

I still don't understand why Spielberg and co. are following through with this film. The 1961 original is a classic. What is there to improve by remaking it?

Just now, John said:

I still don't understand why Spielberg and co. are following through with this film. The 1961 original is a classic. What is there to improve by remaking it?

Hello!

This guy gets it.

I'm sure it will be fine, but I agree -- I'd rather see him devote his talent to more original material. And use as much of the precious time that JW has left.

Well, I meant 'original' as in 'not based on existing films (or even books, although I'm more forgiving there)', not original as in 'groundbreaking' or 'new territory'.

14 minutes ago, Jurassic Shark said:

Yeah, such as Indy 5. :sarcasm:

If he redeemed himself with Indy 5 the way did Raiders after 1941(though 1941 is still remarkable in many ways, unfortunately it is still less than the sum of its parts) I would have no complaints.

38 minutes ago, John said:

Because it would make too much sense if Spielberg were to do something people actually wanted to see.

3 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Would then totally suck to be a Shakespeare actor. Or not.

To be or not to be. 

12 minutes ago, Jay said:

Spielberg should have made The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Robopocalypse, Gods and Kings and the Montezuma movie instead of Ready Player One, West Side Story, and Indiana Jones 5

Robopacalypse was not a good book and he probably dodged a bullet

1 hour ago, TheUlyssesian said:

and they are trying different things

Why is that inherently a bad thing? It took Beethoven reportedly 24 tries to get that opening of the 5th Symphony the way he wanted, which is about how many drafts the original Star Wars screenplay had, as well. Williams has talked many, many times on how he'll do tons of drafts on themes, and even after committing to a certain way, would sometimes figure out another solution later (as in the case of Luke's Theme).

42 minutes ago, TheUlyssesian said:

Would then totally suck to be a Shakespeare actor. Or not.

Even though of course the stage has directors, it's still very much an actor's medium.

He has had so many crazy just misses!

Kidnapping was ready to go. Apparently even the sets and costumes were done and it fell apart becuase they could not find the kid.

Robopocalypse was ready to go but the last minute they thought the script wasn't right.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

Spielberg should have made The Kidnapping of Edgardo Mortara, Robopocalypse, Gods and Kings and the Montezuma movie instead of Ready Player One, West Side Story, and Indiana Jones 5

With the exception of INDY 5 (which I really want to see), I agree with that sentiment.

3 hours ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Because it would make too much sense if Spielberg were to do something people actually wanted to see.

Ready Player One promised a lot. Everyone wanted to see it, but then nobody saw it. The 80's Stranger Things nostalgia train had passed by, Spielberg missed his chance.

And the protagonist should've been the girl. 

1 minute ago, Muad'Dib said:

Ready Player One promised a lot. Everyone wanted to see it, but then nobody saw it. The 80's Stranger Things nostalgia train had passed by, Spielberg missed his chance.

Not sure where you get that from. The film was both a commercial and critical success.

Domestically it didn't even reach its budget. And its total gross was low for a Spielberg blockbuster riding on 80's nostalgia. 

Not sure how it did in the US, but here in Norway it was a smash. And great reviews all over the board. That seems to be the international consensus too. I thought the film was fine -- it got an honourable mention by me last year, right after the top 20. Although I wasn't as thrilled as my colleagues, and it was far away from the quality level of THE POST (which was my no. 1).

1 minute ago, Thor said:

it was far away from the quality level of THE POST

Agree with this completely.  All of my issues with The Post are with the script.  The direction was masterful!

He’s made two movies this decade that are in my top 10 Spielbergs (Bridge of Spies and Lincoln), so I’m not worried too much about a decline in quality.  But certainly BFG and RP1 are not at the quality level he was at earlier in the decade with Tintin.  Although I like BFG fine!  It was charming in parts ( but boring in others)