Steven Spielberg’s West Side Story (2021)

mrbellamy

1 minute ago, Disco Stu said:

Agree with this completely.  All of my issues with The Post are with the script.  The direction was masterful!

Oh, I agree. The difficulties I had with The Post were the tiring script (at least, that's what I thought of it) and the very hard to overlook Oscar-bait cloud. 

It it was well directed, but it was nothing more than a solid three, three and a half stars in my book. Maybe a second viewing would improve my thoughts. Considering I watched it in succession with Bridge of Spies (literally one night after the other last year), which was remarkably strong in script, story and direction, it was difficult to receive it fairly. My mind automatically pitted them against each other.

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

He has had so many crazy just misses!

Kidnapping was ready to go. Apparently even the sets and costumes were done and it fell apart becuase they could not find the kid.

Robopocalypse was ready to go but the last minute they thought the script wasn't right.

He should just combine a few of the scripts and get to filming. 

Montezumapocalypse!

4 minutes ago, The Illustrious Jerry said:

Oh, I agree. The difficulties I had with The Post were the tiring script (at least, that's what I thought of it) and the very hard to overlook Oscar-bait cloud. 

It it was well directed, but it was nothing more than a solid three, three and a half stars in my book. Maybe a second viewing would improve my thoughts. Considering I watched it in succession with Bridge of Spies (literally one night after the other last year), which was remarkably strong in script, story and direction, it was difficult to receive it fairly. My mind automatically pitted them against each other.

Just so people here know, The Post got a meh response in the US, even though it got a Best Picture nomination, however, in Europe and specially in France, they absolutely went ape-shit over it. They think it is a very great masterpiece in France.

And while I don't think it is as great as the French seem to think it is, I think the direction is dazzling. Like really really amazing. Of a level you don't often see in Hollywood these days. I have issues with the script too but Speilberg still did a heck of a job with it. The second half is engaging, tense and dramatic as any thriller. It is really top shelf direction. 

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

He’s made two movies this decade that are in my top 10 Spielbergs (Bridge of Spies and Lincoln), so I’m not worried too much about a decline in quality.  But certainly BFG and RP1 are not at the quality level he was at earlier in the decade with Tintin.  Although I like BFG fine!  It was charming in parts ( but boring in others)

Bridge of Spies and Lincoln have some of the greatest screenplays of Spielberg's filmography. Kushner is an absolute master writer for adapting such a massively important character to the screen in such a way, and with script in one hand and camera in the other, Spielberg crossed the t's and dotted the i's. With Bridge of Spies, the Coen brothers crafted a very consistent script. It's definitely one of the strongest aspects of the film.

I haven't seen BFG, and I don't think I will. Tintin, on the other hand, is extremely rewatchable. Fun, fast-paced, exciting and very clever. Spielberg's unmistakable style runs right through the animation in such a delightful blend of adventure and wittiness.

10 minutes ago, Jay said:

What is the problem ya'll have with The Post's script? 

I think it’s good!  Structure is it’s best aspect, but the dialogue doesn’t come alive the way it does in BoS or Lincoln.  Spies in particular is a movie where conversations are like verbal sparring matches or something, just beautiful to follow the text and subtext interplay/back and forth.  The Post is just solid, not great, workmanlike for a movie of its genre.

Bridge of Spies is awesome!

The Post felt a little tired to me, or at least tiring, in its script. Of course, my disdain has a lot to do with circumstance. I saw The Post the day after watching Bridge of Spies for the first time. It was a Wednesday in December and I hit play at 11 pm. So perhaps the script wasn't tired, but I was. It certainly didn't keep me awake, at least not on that occasion.

3 minutes ago, Disco Stu said:

Spies in particular is a movie where conversations are like verbal sparring matches or something, just beautiful to follow the text and subtext interplay/back and forth. 

Tom Hanks has some great lines in that respect.

7 minutes ago, Ghostbusters II said:

Everything Spielberg does now puts me to sleep.

Did you see Big F-ing Giant. The less said is best.

The effects which SS said were better than those in Avatar were not better but not even quality. 

3 hours ago, TheUlyssesian said:

And while I don't think it is as great as the French seem to think it is, I think the direction is dazzling. Like really really amazing. Of a level you don't often see in Hollywood these days.

This!

Spielberg remains a cut above the rest.

1 hour ago, Jay said:

What is the problem ya'll have with The Post's script? 

It's pretty flat with very little nuance, depth, or layers. I've seen people compare it to a TV movie, and I totally understand why. It's all very "This happens, characters react, things change, characters react, " if you understand my meaning. Like Stu said, the dialogue is pretty stale and surface level stuff, which I can understand given it was the lady's first screenplay. There's one scene with Meryl Streep's character where I was thinking, "Ooh, this is getting juicy!", but that was pretty much as far as it went. 

The direction was very, very well done, it was smooth, fluid, and in most cases subtle, though Spielberg did the 70's thriller thing more hardcore and effectively with Munich. With how little of a music movie it is, I'm impressed with the times Spielberg allows Williams to lead the scene. I saw it with one of my younger brothers who doesn't listen to film scores, and there were a few parts where he muttered to me in theaters, "My boy Johnny!"

All in all, I'd have to paraphrase Futurama: Spielberg's spirit was willing, but The Post's flesh was spongy, and bruised.

Meryl was good. It was a top 30 performance for her.

24 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

With Mamma Mia containing her best performance, right?

No. Her performance in Sophie's Choice is unparalleled. Perhaps the greatest performance by an actress ever.

25 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

As far as I know, this was the first performance of hers I've seen in full. I loved the moment when she decides to publish the Papers; she _owned_ this movie.

I recommend that you see Out of Africa.

19 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

It's no secret that Spielberg is very much a director whose films' ultimate quality relies heavily on the screenplay. 

No, I don't think so really.

Screenplays are incredibly important of course. But his direction is the most important part of his films. Thats why he rarely writes scripts.

2 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Genuine curiosity: what did you like about it?

I liked the whole package, and especially the suspense they managed to conjure up for what could easily have become a rather dry story. My only caveat that I can remember is that Hanks' performance occasionally was on the verge of becoming a caricature.

16 minutes ago, Stefancos said:

No, I don't think so really.

Screenplays are incredibly important of course. But his direction is the most important part of his films. Thats why he rarely writes scripts.

I don't think I've ever seen an overall poorly directed film of his, but I've seen some bad films directed by him, know what I mean? And whenever the quality of a Spielberg film is questioned, whether explicitly or not, it almost always seems to be the screenwriting that's being discussed. 

For me, the biggest dichotomy between this is War of the Worlds. As far as the directing, it's one of my favorite Spielberg films. He was on his _game_ for that movie. So many haunting, memorable shots, ones that speak so poignantly. It's a visual storytelling--dare I say it--masterpiece! But ultimately it's on the lesser end of Spielberg films in my mind. 

SS won for SPR and i may remember wrong that is when he gave the we must pay more attention to the script speech. What a bad and in retrospect embarrassing speech.

Just now, Jurassic Shark said:

War of the Worlds was a bad story to begin with, as exemplified by the 50s movie.

War of the Worlds is a timeless classic novel and the 50's film is a cinematic classic. Your  comment criticizes it is comical. 

I like the POV aspect of Spielberg's War of the Worlds through Cruise's character and kids vs. Independence Day's all-out scale. I think where War of the Worlds falls apart is in the last act and resolution.

Just now, Nick Parker said:

Never saw the movie but I agree about the novel.

You have humungous gaps you need to fill. 

3 minutes ago, Arpy said:

I like the POV aspect of Spielberg's War of the Worlds through Cruise's character and kids vs. Independence Day's all-out scale. I think where War of the Worlds falls apart is in the last act and resolution.

Again on the note of the whole visual storytelling thing, one of my favorite moments is when the film goes soooooo close to _that_ scene, the modern blockbuster human vs alien invader war we've seen so many times since the mid-90's. There's that tall hill where over the side you can see all kinds of explosions and gung ho soldiers running over to join the fight, but you never see the whole thing. Combine that with Williams' score, and you know exactly where Spielberg's focus was for the whole film. (Which apparently disappointed or surprised people in the day?)

23 minutes ago, Nick Parker said:

Are you saying you don't own the album?

I don't, I wasn't interested when it came out, and don't want to buy it in case an expanded album ever happens.

1 minute ago, Arpy said:

I don't, I wasn't interested when it came out, and don't want to buy it if an expanded album ever happens.

1:47 on

Man, that is the _juice_! War of the Worlds is one of my favorite Williams scores.