Titanic Live at Royal Albert Hall in April 2015 (Horner conducts)

crocodile

• 7 months later...

Sometimes they perform them live and it sounds all right. In other cases, the score is considerably re-arranged for orchestra. Like Gladiator, for example.

Karol

Sometimes they perform them live and it sounds all right. In other cases, the score is considerably re-arranged for orchestra. Like Gladiator, for example.

Karol

well i remember some voice pads etc. in the opening underwater scenes, that seem quite difficult to be "performed".

Of course they could do this:

They could keep the synth recordings and play on top with the orchestra.

Karol

well i remember some voice pads etc. in the opening underwater scenes, that seem quite difficult to be "performed".

Of course they could do this:

They could keep the synth recordings and play on top with the orchestra.

If the original synths were prelays, this is how they'll do it. If they were played live, they'll do that.

I don't know for sure but I think Horner usually does prelays. I don't recall seeing keyboard players at his sessions like you would with Goldsmith.

Goldsmith only had live synth playing at the session up untill the mid-80's I think.

Up to Supergirl.

Karol

It will need considerable conforming to make the score fit the film; this has the makings of a musical mess. I will be stunned if Horner actually conducts the thing.

Yeah. I used to be vehemently opposed to prelays or postlays of anything (soloists, synths, choir) - anything where all the players weren't together. But it's silly to pretend that the whole recording studio system doesn't have anything to offer symphonic music. Especially when the end result is meant to be heard in the theater and on album, rather than necessarily in a concert hall.

I think Horner still records most of the stuff in the room - even solo vocals and stuff like that. The exceptions are Avatar and The Amazing Spider-Man where synths are pre-layed.

Karol

In the liner notes for Explorers Bruce Botnick talks about the process of recording them live. And then there's the session footage from ST:V and River Wild.

I don't think Supergirl was the last 'live' time for JG. The synths for Explorers, Star Trek V, and The River Wild were recorded in the room.

You're right, I was misremembering. Supergirl prompted a change in methodology.

• 5 months later...

As it turns out, I cannot go to this. Last minute problems...

As I cannot get a refund or exchange ticket, I need to get rid of it.

If anyone wants my ticket FOR FREE (don't expect to sell it anyway), just let me know. It would be a shame to waste it.

Karol

• 1 year later...
On 4/22/2015 at 3:07 AM, crocodile said:

As it turns out, I cannot go to this. Last minute problems...

As I cannot get a refund or exchange ticket, I need to get rid of it.

If anyone wants my ticket FOR FREE (don't expect to sell it anyway), just let me know. It would be a shame to waste it.

Karol

It's a damn shame you didn't go.

• 9 months later...