Bruce Broughton's YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES - NEW! 2019 3CD Intrada Edition

Jay

Hopefully I will be getting mine any day now! :)

Are the liner notes good on this one?

I thought the liner notes were fantastic. They talk about the film a bit and a bit about the actual score, but the main highlight of the entire booklet is a pretty lengthy recent interview Intrada did with Broughton! He goes into many details about how he got attached to the project, the scoring sessions, and etc. It was a really engaging read, at least to a big fan of the score and film like myself. They even asked him the question as to which other scores of his would he like Intrada to release. One of the ones he listed was a complete release of The Rescuers Down Under. I hope that one happens especially, and I hope they asked that question and printed it to almost foreshadow his next few releases they'll do. ;) The booklet of course had a number of nice images from the film.

After listening to the whole thing for the first time I have to admit the score is really great. The only thing I'm not so sure about is the choral stuff. Not the theme itself, which is great, but the whole package doesn't convince me. A bit too Orff and tad too cheesy (in a Rosenman's Mordor kind of way). Maybe a wordless version would work better? But that's just a minor quibble - everything else is top notch. Better than Silverado, even.

Karol

My favorite part of the interview:

Douglas Fake: Dit you have any interaction with presenter Steven Spielberg?

Bruce Broughton: I met Steven on the dubbing stage. He came in an sat quietly in back. Every once in a while, he'd say to Barry Levinson, "I really like this score." And then, "You know, I really like the score." So Barry eventually pointed to me as the composer, and Steven laughed and said to me, "Well, I really like this score."

:mrgreen:

Broughton comes off as a very level-headed, no-bullshit and humble kind of person. He doesn't spend any time giving florid answers and goes straight to the point.

Karol

Broughton comes off as a very level-headed, no-bullshit and humble kind of person. He doesn't spend any time giving florid answers and goes straight to the point.

Karol

Yeah he is a class act that man.

He was in Vienna several times for the film music symposium and that's exactly the impression he gave.

One of the ones he listed was a complete release of The Rescuers Down Under.

He really seems to like that one.

One of the ones he listed was a complete release of The Rescuers Down Under.

He really seems to like that one.

I have no memory of this score. Is it any good?

50fba598afa96f4550000001.jpg?w=400

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Om1bNZnh6nM

and especially this one:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kYeWDfItmsY

and very much so this one as well:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=31iQATvthqU

Those three tracks from the OST alone make the score worth having. But there are some good things it leaves out completely of course.

Has anybody noticed that one of the cues from that score sounds like the music for the Cairo streets level of the first Lego Indy game?

My copy arrived today... apparently delivered to the neighbors... who aren't at home tonight... :angry:

It's an impressive scene! The animation is done really well, too. That entire movie I thought was terribly underrated, especially as far as sequels go.

It's the only Disney sequel (aside from Fantasia 2000 I believe) that officially counts as a Disney Classic. So at least in that regard, it ranks rather highly. I've never seen it myself.

Doug responded on Intrada about the track name error for the bonus choir-only track:

No, we are not re-printing inlay cards to correct a typo which you already have picked up on. It's not a justifiable expense and would require re-printing thousands of inlay cards... as well as creating a new DDP text-encoded CD master. It affects nothing. Try and enjoy the music just the same. For what it's worth, the orchestral and choral parts are essentially the same for both cues, except in their duration and opening treatments. Plus, they are just "extras" intended for people to enjoy. Not really something to be too concerned about. Thanks.
--Doug

I totally agree with him on this. People expecting him to re-print the back cards for this minor error are nuts, lol. And like he said, the choir for it is very similiar to the track it is labeled as anyway (although a bit less epic and slightly different arrangement). And, again as said, it was just a bonus track, and it was even one I didn't expect to have.

Finally got mine (the jewel case did not survive shipping, though ;-)). What an awesome score. It's the best album I've heard in ages, with not a single cue I don't like :-)

I agree, it is one of the few scores where you can just hit "play" on the very first track and let it go all the way the end of its duration (sans bonus tracks/source music).

I finally got my copy! :)

A terrific score with that wonderful 1980's adventure movie spirit, great liner notes and presentation of the music.

The Broughton interview in the liner notes is a great companion to the score and as usual he is both eloquent and very articulate on the subject of YSH and film scoring in general. You really get the no-nonsense feel people have been talking about from this Q/A between Douglas Fake and Broughton. It is great to read that YSH sessions are the fondest ones in his memory from his entire career and that he had a great time with the music despite the arduous schedule of scoring the film in just 4 weeks and being tired after just finishing Silverado. But as he matter of factly says every film composer has these situations where you write a great deal and under a lot pressure because it is part of the job. I look forward to sitting down and taking a long good listen of this terrific album.

• 4 months later...

I'm very honoured to present Mikko's (vel Incanus) first review for us, which happens to be Young Sherlock Holmes. Hopefully, not the last time he chooses to grace this humble corner of internet fandom! It was supposed to be published ages ago, but fate kept it from seeing light of the day! As for quality, you know what to expect!

Karol

• 2 weeks later...

Finally listened to the whole score, it is great! I was surprised how much the music seems modelled after ET and Indiana Jones. E.G. like ET the main themes are related or derived from each other and there is a shorter, more mysterious motiv that opens the film/credits. The actions music reminds of Indiana Jones.

Fun Question: If you did not know about this score and somebody would present it to you as a long lost Williams score from that time, would you believe it?

Young Sherlock Holmes, as I mention in my review, is truly written in the same spirit as many of the classic adventure scores of the day. Broughton's own compositional voice has the same solid orchestral sensibilities as Goldsmith, Horner and Williams where I think a lot of that familiar sound comes from although I have a feeling the composer was probably instructed to tap into that style, which he does in his own way. It is a heartwarmingly old fashioned yet energetic piece where Broughton by his own admission combined several stylistic threads but does so in my opinion with great panache to forge a unified whole.

But to answer to your question, I might be momentarily fooled but despite the certain passages of highly Williams-esque writing I still feel that Broughton has a very singular voice and way of orchestrating that sets this music apart.

• 3 years later...

100% of the music on that promo is on the commercial release.

The only reason to keep it would be nostalgia / collectibility / you prefer the fact that shorter cues were crossfaded into long tracks on that promo

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/e/2PACX-1vSwPa1MavmugBo9DXqUpSmp64IWOQsz1kvfwigJ3al2gIcgi7LphEpnCfujU0Nh7M_GZWYEam1uQW7i/pubhtml

2 hours ago, Jay said:

100% of the music on that promo is on the commercial release.

That's unfortunately not entirely true. The promo has the film version of "A Fifth Princess" with more percussion while the Intrada release, first part of "It's You", uses an alternate version. My preferred version is the film version so I was dissapointed Intrada didn't include it.

• 1 year later...

And now Intrada has released a remastered and expanded edition!

INTRADA Announces:

YOUNG SHERLOCK HOLMES
Music Composed and Conducted by BRUCE BROUGHTON
INTRADA ISC 429

Intrada revisits one of its most popular titles this week – Bruce Broughton's score to the 1985 Paramount Pictures film Young Sherlock Holmes. Previously released in 2014 working from the only available elements at that time, this updated version is sourced from the recently discovered film mix created by Eric Tomlinson as well as the original LP master. From these elements Intrada has expanded from the original 2-CD release to this deluxe, 3-CD package which includes the complete score from the Tomlinson mixes as well as additional extras, including the alternate "It's You," and of course the complete LP program as originally assembled by Broughton in 1985.

Broughton was relatively new to the theatrical side of the business when he was tapped to score Young Sherlock Holmes, having worked mostly in television for the first decade of his career. Director Barry Levinson’s kinetic film, with its fluid pace and wide variety of tones, presented him with a fresh, yet daunting challenge. Broughton rose to the occasion with a stunning, wall-to-wall symphonic work that made a deep impression on soundtrack fans and industry professionals alike, earning a Grammy nomination for Best Instrumental Composition and winning a Saturn Award for Best Music from the Academy of Science Fiction, Fantasy & Horror Films.

The original MCA Records soundtrack album, released on LP and cassette, received high marks in Billboard, who praised it as “a traditional orchestral score, which Broughton infuses with both dash and sweetness.” Remarkably, however, the MCA album never made the transition to a commercial CD. It wasn't until the 2014 release that Intrada was able to include a great deal of outstanding material that did not appear on that album, albeit remixed from the original 24-track elements, making it a challenge to match the mix of which fans had become so familiar over the years.

Young Sherlock Holmes was the brainchild of three primary parents: writer Chris Columbus, executive producer Steven Spielberg and director Barry Levinson.The central premise of Young Sherlock Holmes suggests that Holmes and Watson did not first meet as adults in a chemical laboratory at St. Bartholomew’s Hospital, but as adolescents. In the story, a series of baffling murders puts young Holmes on the trail of an Egyptian cult practicing human sacrifice in the bowels of London. Dismissed by the police and maligned by his peers, the budding detective sets out with only a few close allies to unravel the plot—culminating in a fiery confrontation with an evil mastermind, bent on revenge.

INTRADA ISC 429
Barcode: 720258542908
Retail Price: $29.99
SHIPPING NOW
For track listing and sound samples, please visit http://store.intrada.com/s.nl/it.A/id.11844/.f

media.nl?id=22945&c=ACCT67745&h=fbdfcd84

media.nl?id=22946&c=ACCT67745&h=da7d5b03

media.nl?id=22947&c=ACCT67745&h=cd2a649c

Bruce Broughton
Label: Intrada Special Collection Volume ISC 429
Film Date: 1985
Album Date: 2019
Time: 154:51
Tracks: 47
Price: $29.99

Newly remastered, slightly expanded 3-CD release of legendary 1985 fantasy-adventure score from original mixes at last! Steven Spielberg presents delightful fantasy on youthful years of legendary sleuth, his schooling, introduction to Dr. Watson, meeting his one great love, Elizabeth - and plunging into fantastic and treacherous first big adventure. Wow! Barry Levinson directs, Paramount Pictures releases an Amblin Entertainment production, Chris Columbus scripts and Nicholas Rowe, Alan Cox and Sophie Ward bring Sir Arthur Conan Doyle’s timeless characters to life on screen. 

Bruce Broughton fashioned the lengthy 90-minute score directly after completing his other magnum opus that year, Silverado, also available on Intrada. One of the steady best-sellers in our catalog, it became time to renew our license on YSH, itself a complicated process involving Paramount Pictures, Universal Music Group, Geffen Records and Intrada. Our initial plan was to reprise our previous 2-CD release which we had necessarily remixed from the 2” 24-track masters due to the complete original first generation stereo mixes having been lost. Originally Tomlinson, legendary mixer on Star Wars, had performed the recording/mixing tasks for YSH, done in 1985 at Abbey Road in London. Subsequently, also-legendary American engineer Dan Wallin created stereo remixes back in Los Angeles for select cues used for the 1985 MCA album featuring 37-minutes of highlights. At the time we had hoped to locate either or both the Tomlinson and the Wallin masters but it just wasn’t to be… until now! In fortuitous manner, renewing our license and a final deep search resulted in locating both sets of flawless original stereo mixes and bringing fantastic news for all concerned. This also allowed us to add three previously unreleased alternates which, while not essential to the complete score’s impact, do provide some additional insight to Broughton’s scoring process. 

And for the first time on CD ever, Intrada is able to offer Broughton’s original MCA album which not only features Wallin’s stereo mixes but also the composer’s unique editorial work on the presentation. While admittedly that LP was always just a fraction of the complete score, it was a sensational early album in Broughton’s then-burgeoning career. Filled with rich themes, robust action music, orchestral/choral sacrifice sequences, harmonic idioms ranging from 19th-century London musical settings to vivid hallucinatory music using a severe, atonal vernacular, Broughton’s score for Young Sherlock Holmes is an 80’s masterpiece! Mark McKenzie, Bruce Broughton orchestrate, Broughton conducts Sinfonia Of London. Intrada Special Collection 3-CD set, available while quantities and interest remain!

CD 1
01. The First Victim (2:59)
02. The Old Hat Trick (1:46)
03. Main Title (2:01)
04. Watson’s Arrival (1:01)
05. The Bear Riddle (0:45)
06. Library Love/Waxflatter’s First Flight (2:55)
07. Fencing With Rathe (1:06)
08. The Glass Soldier(3:21)
09. Solving The Crime (4:55)
10. Second Attempt (1:10)
11. Cold Revenge (4:08)
12. Waxflatter’s Death (Alternate) (3:41)
13. The Hat (1:20)
14. Holmes And Elizabeth – Love Theme (1:57)
15. Getting The Point (6:32)
CD 1 Total Time: 40:15

CD 2
01. Rame Tep (3:06)
02. Pastries And Crypts (6:46)
03. Discovered By Rathe (4:50)
04. To Cragwitch’s (1:33)
05. The Explanation (1:49)
06. Cragwitch Goes Again (1:22)
07. It’s You! (6:18)
08. Waxing Elizabeth (3:37)
09. Temple Fire (3:23)
10. Ehtar’s Escape (Revised Version) (4:03)
11. Duel And Final Farewell (5:41)
12. The Riddles Solved And End Credits (2:57)
13. Ytrairom Spelled Backwards (0:46)
CD 2 Total Time: 50:16

CD 3
The Extras

01. Main Title (Film Version) (1:44)
02. Waxflatter’s Death (Original) (2:46)
03. Belly Dancer (1:01)
04. Rame Tep (Orchestra) (3:06)
05. Rame Tep (Chorus) (3:01)
06. It’s You! (Alternate) (6:16)
07. Waxing Elizabeth (Orchestra) (3:37)
08. Ehtar’s Escape (Original Version) (4:04)
09. God Rest Ye Merry, Gentlemen (arr. Bruce Broughton) (1:06)
Total Extras Time: 26:59

Original 1985 MCA Soundtrack Album
10. Main Title (2:00)
11. Solving The Crime (4:52)
12. Library Love/Waxflatter’s First Flight (2:25)
13. Pastries & Crypts (5:45)
14. Waxing Elizabeth (3:37)
15. Holmes And Elizabeth – Love Theme (1:56)
16. Ehtar’s Escape (4:01)
17. The Final Duel (3:52)
18. Final Farewell (1:55)
19. The Riddles Solved/End Credits (6:26)
Total Album Time: 37:12
CD 3 Total Time: 64:20

And here's an updated Google Doc for ya'll

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/10jF4xhO7cGUk3KMgI1vBw2hva8ibrt81k_fQBe3FCz8/

Yay, both versions of "It's You" are now included. The film version however is not part of the main program, it's included with the bonus tracks on disc 3.

Isn't the Film Version IS in the main program, and the alternate (from the last Intrada disc) is what's on disc 3?  That's how it SHOULD have been done...

Couldn't have come at a better time for me; just discovered and fell in love with this score about a month ago. Was already loving the 2014 Intrada presentation, but I'll be happy to upgrade to this.

I was able to listen to both "It's You" tracks from the new release and while the alternate is included on disc 2 it's missing the percussion which was used in the film and heard on the promo release. Why? :conf: