When Williams references Williams...

FilmManiac79

Let's figure out all of the times a John Williams score references another Williams score.

Example: the "Yoda" reference in "E.T." during "The Magic of Halloween".

I know a few other examples, but I would like to hear others chime in.

(and these would be INTENTIONAL references...not when part of a score sounds like another score)

• Replies 33
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well then we can count the Basket Game quote in ToD as well!

But I feel these same franchise quotes do not really count as they belong in the same musical universe even though they reference previous event. E.g. KotCS is full of them.

And the Ark theme in KOTCS

There are many moments that either quote old themes or are near note-for-note renditions of previous material in KotCS. The score screams "nostalgia".

How about in "Dracula" the track "To Castle Brunwald"...nearly the same as "Last Crusade"s "Journey to Austria" (when they are heading to Castle Brunwald???

To Castle Brunwald and Journey to Austria are just different names for the same track in The Last Crusade

That may be, but I was referring to the "Dracula" score...which has a track titled "To Castle Brunwald"...which is the same, or extremely similar, as "Last Crusade". I'm assuming Williams referenced it in "Last Crusade" since they were going to the same place.

I have seen the Badham Dracula only once years ago. I have no recollection of this particular cue. Interesting notion though, could be a kind of composer inside joke. :)

I don't think that's likely. Castle Brunwald was the name given to the Austrian castle in the Last Crusade, and there isn't any mention of said castle in Dracula. My guess is someone took the Last Crusade bootleg track (back in the day when the track still wasn't oficially released), and made it appear as being part of the Dracula unreleased score.

Like this example

http://www.youtuberepeater.com/watch?v=d6LvR5AD01g&name=08+To+Castle+Brunwald+Dracula+1979+Soundtrack

This is the Last Crusade track, someone just attributed it to the wrong score

The Stat Wars main theme kind of appears in HPSS (when Harry sees the Hogwarts Express)

I'm not sure it it's a coincidence of notes or deliberate by Williams

I don't think that's likely. Castle Brunwald was the name given to the Austrian castle in the Last Crusade, and there isn't any mention of said castle in Dracula. My guess is someone took the Last Crusade bootleg track (back in the day when the track still wasn't oficially released), and made it appear as being part of the Dracula unreleased score.

Like this example

http://www.youtuberepeater.com/watch?v=d6LvR5AD01g&name=08+To+Castle+Brunwald+Dracula+1979+Soundtrack

This is the Last Crusade track, someone just attributed it to the wrong score

Ok, after very minor research I find that you are absolutely right about that. You see, I had downloaded from Youtube what I thought was the score for "Dracula", since after briefly glancing at the track listing on Amazon, it appeared to be correct. When listening to it, I heard the track we are talking about and thought, "Wow, that sounds just like in Last Crusade". Seeing the track was titled "To Castle Brunwald", I figured that was rather brilliant. Having never seen "Dracula", I just assumed "Castle Brunwald" was an actual place used in both films.

The rest of the album appears to be correct...so I'm just curious to why someone would stick a track from "Last Crusade" in the middle...DUMB!

How can you listen to a lossy mp3 downloaded from Youtube???!!!

(I used to, before I wised up)

Oh believe me, I'd rather not. But since I've gone on a Williams binge lately, getting the La La Land records 1941, Hook, Home Alone 2, The Fury, plus several others from Amazon, funds are rather limited. I've been tempted by Dracula, but not at the price (at least not now). Inferior MP3 is better than nothing (for me anyway)

JFK drumroll in Nixon.

Ah that's right. Although with Oliver Stone it is somewhat difficult to be exactly sure as he could have tracked that in like he tracked Born on the Fourth of July in JFK in one instance. But I would veer toward Williams intentionally quoting himself in this case.

Although with Oliver Stone it is somewhat difficult to be exactly sure as he could have tracked that in like he tracked Born on the Fourth of July in JFK in one instance.

What was the BOTFOJ cue?

Cua Viet River, Vietnam. Heard in the scene where Garrison tells how Lee Harvey Oswald had a sort of staged fight in the street with a Cuban for handing out pro-Castro leaflets. But I should re-check to make sure I am not speaking of Castle Brunwald-type of situation again. ;)

There's a couple of seconds in 'Reunion [in the Tent]' that always calls to mind the Death Star (?) motif from Star Wars. About 2m50s in:

Although it's missing a note of course. Clutching at straws anyone? :)

Great topic.

From Harry Potter and the Sorcerer’s Stone (OST)... "Platform Nine-and-Three-Quarters and The Journey to Hogwarts" (2:32-2:37), Mr. Williams briefly foreshadows the Banquet theme then concludes the cue with a reference from "Merry Christmas, Merry Christmas" from Home Alone 2. He even carries-over the grace note.

Did anyone else catch this one?

Thanks for the posts everyone. I knew about most of these, but I was hoping there were more that I was unaware of. I had just bought the expanded "1941" and heard "Encounters"...which led me to starting this topic.

"Jaws" in "CE3K"?

CE3K" in "1941"?

Eh..? Where?

I hear "CE3K" in "ID4", but that is a whole other story...

In "CE3K", during the track "Wild Signals" right near the end.

In "1941", during the track "Encounters". This is only on the expanded soundtrack, and was not used in the film.

Ohh, where?

On a side note, I remember this friend in primary school who thought ID4 was a sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind because is was the "fourth encounter". He was serious about it! Funny bugger.

"Jaws" in "CE3K"?

CE3K" in "1941"?

Eh..? Where?

In "CE3K", during the track "Wild Signals" right near the end.

In "1941", during the track "Encounters". This is only on the expanded soundtrack, and was not used in the film.

I don't have the expanded score, but I do have the expanded boot, sourced from the laserdisc. Is it on that, and, if so, what's it called? Which part of the film does it underscore.

Ohh, where?

On a side note, I remember this friend in primary school who thought ID4 was a sequel to Close Encounters of the Third Kind because is was the "fourth encounter". He was serious about it! Funny bugger.

It is part of the "escape" sequence, as everyone tries to get out of The White House. It builds up to the opening "note" of the "CE3K" main title. I think it's even in the same key!

I'll find out exactly what track it's on asap.