The Amazing Electronic Music Thread

A24

Back in 2003 when I knew a lot less about everything I put together a 20 minute "suite" of ambient music. Last night I dug up the MIDI file and tried to polish it - production wise only; it was improvised and I didn't want to change a note. Anyone remotely care to hear that? Do I dare expose myself in such a way?

Back in 2003 when I knew a lot less about everything I put together a 20 minute "suite" of ambient music. Last night I dug up the MIDI file and tried to polish it - production wise only; it was improvised and I didn't want to change a note. Anyone remotely care to hear that? Do I dare expose myself in such a way?

Yes, please. :music:

• 3 weeks later...

This isn't the pop music thread, Steef!

Josje is the most hated person in Belgium these days. They call her the Trojan Horse!

The boss of K3 will do a huge talent TV show (like So You Think You Can Dance or The Voice) to find three new K3 girls.

Alex

What are you talking about?

John Williams is 83, which is old. Especially for a performing artist.

Two of K3 are hitting 40, which even for a silly commercial pop group aimed at kids and their dads is getting on a bit.

I'm sure Alex will agree with me.

That's one of my favourite pieces by Vangelis, actually (and that's saying something, given his brilliant output). Glad we can see eye to eye on something again, Pilgrim, after our LSO vs. LA debacle! :)

You two have your Zimmer connection, don't you? Well, Zimmer likes Vangelis so maybe it's not so unusual that you are getting along again.

Alex

Junkie XL talks about his career and scoring in this video interview. He's very forward and down-to-earth.

https://youtu.be/pEM-HoxLT6E

Zack Snyder: "That was fucking awesome. I got one note, can you make it a little more awesome?"
Junkie XL: From the '60s all the way to the '80s, film music was more emotional.

Vangelis - Ask the Mountains

Would you believe what came up when I clicked on that?

1zwzv3k.jpg

Just where do these f******ts think I'm viewing it from? :P

Viewing it on another video, I knew it immediately. It's an album I tend to play through start to finish, so I didn't know the name of the track.

Below is one from an album I used to listen to all the time in the early 90s. Enigma - Cross of Changes.

Debatable if this belongs in 'electronic music' or not (New Age / Ambient tends to be the definition), I know.

Plus, I've probably chosen the least electronic of the tracks from the album to put up, but it's still a great listen.

Seconded! Now you have to!

He's checking-out the marrow in your backbone. And the seven trumpets blowing sweet rock 'n' roll, are gonna get right down indide your soul. Pythagarus with the looking-glass, reflecting the full moon: in blood, he's writing the lyrics, to a brand new tune!

I just want to listen to this and do or think nothing else for all eternity.

Heh, I 'borrowed' this one as the 'soundtrack' for camcorder footage I took in the early 90s when visiting what was my first 'tropical' destination, the Domincan Republic. It was footage of a long boat journey to a small idyllic island of the sort which until then had been something only seen in brochures - clear turquoise sea and shimmering white sand with palm trees. It was a surreal experience approaching it, and I felt this track went along with the scenes of the journey to it and on the island, which conveniently came to about 9 minutes.

It was during a particularly strong Vangelis listening stage because the movie 1492 had been out and I was listening to the soundtrack all the time. L'Apocalypse des animaux was also among my listening at that time. A couple of years later I also 'borrowed' some of his work from Blade Runner for a home video of a visit to Egypt. Damask Rose went well with footage of fellucas on the nile at sunset, and Tales of the future went well with footage of approaching the valley of the kings at sunrise over craggy desert hills.

Forgot about this. Must have been drunk to propose such a thing.

Nevertheless... here's a couple minutes of the juvenilia in question.

http://picosong.com/Vh7q/

Originally created with Logic 6(!). I always intended to set up a mic in an ideal spot outdoors and layer the recording over this, but never did... Jeremy Soule stole that idea with his Skyrim Atmospheres stuff, naturally.

I see. Very much of the 'mood' of Blade Runner though, I would say.

I think he made it especially for the album which was released 10 years after the movie came out, you know, to pimp it up. The different kind of synths that you hear on Damask Rose betray a different era. Then there's the real string instrument which wasn't used anywhere else on the original score of 1982. If Vangelis was asked to be the composer for Blade Runner 2, someone should tell him to go back to his vintage analogue gear and not use his big workstation full of samples.

Alex

• 3 weeks later...

I agree, Alex. I never understood why Weir used that piece in GALLIPOLLI. I think I may have read something about him being a Jarre fan, but don't quote me on that.

I know this is mostly thought to be too sappy or NewAgey here, but it's an absolute classic in my mind. Did I just smoke too much weed in college?

Oh, I've always liked this one. Pleasantly soothing, but with a big scope.

Viewing it on another video, I knew it immediately. It's an album I tend to play through start to finish, so I didn't know the name of the track.

Same here.

I'm a big fan of Voices, but my Vangelis favourites will probably always remain these two, which have been inseparable from Cosmos since my childhood:

Funny how Alpha culminates in what sounds like the BTTF theme.

Forgot about this. Must have been drunk to propose such a thing.

Nevertheless... here's a couple minutes of the juvenilia in question.

http://picosong.com/Vh7q/

Originally created with Logic 6(!). I always intended to set up a mic in an ideal spot outdoors and layer the recording over this, but never did... Jeremy Soule stole that idea with his Skyrim Atmospheres stuff, naturally.

Thank you! I thought you forgot about this.

Now I understand why you like Interstellar so much - it's obviously closely aligned with your own style (if this at all representative of your work).

Why don't you post something more recent? It would be interesting to hear what you do now by comparison...

I've wondered how representative it is, since I consider it my first musical effort that had something individual to me about it. I think it's harmonically prophetic, both in this little excerpt and in the opening with its rich, dark, quartal structures. For an improvisation, there are a lot of little moments where I'm surprised by how well things matched up, though it still feels aimless and formless (which isn't a bad thing... when it's intentional). But I suppose it's successful in what it was meant for.

Interesting that you hear something aligned with Interstellar - I suppose that brief wisp of functional chords (it's always felt sort of "Gregorian" to me) is similar.

• 4 weeks later...

I just want to listen to this and do or think nothing else for all eternity.

Creation du monde is just about my all time favorite of his. Throw in Reve and you have a twofer that can't be beat.

Throw in Reve and you have a twofer that can't be beat.

Denis Villeneuve could easily use Reve for Blade Runner 2, especially the first two minutes.

Throw in Reve and you have a twofer that can't be beat.

Denis Villeneuve could easily use Reve for Blade Runner 2, especially the first two minutes.

Would be cool.